Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Anybody use Strava, brilliant App

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Old Git Racing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:57 - 23 Sep 2012    Post subject: Anybody use Strava, brilliant App Reply with quote

Not into technology etc, but the Strava app is brilliant even for an overweight born again cyclist like me, good to see how you do day to day over the same route or compare yourself to 'proper' cyclists.

Anyone have experience with garmin connect or other similar things?

OGR

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 00:03 - 24 Sep 2012    Post subject: Re: Anybody use Strava, brilliant App Reply with quote

Haven't used that, but have used mapmyrun and now runkeeper - however have recently got a motoactv and liking that for all the options, even though the website isn't that great.

D O G
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:05 - 24 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it fucks up the way you ride.

I've been out with people who use Strava, they bimble along until they hit a segment, then go nuts, wank off about how fast they did that segment, then bimble again.

Fuck that shit.

The only things I use to measure my performance is how much it hurts, and how long it's taken me to do a fixed route by the kitchen clock.

Carl_steveo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:18 - 24 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use endomondo on the back of a few recommendations off here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

la_lucha
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:06 - 24 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Endomondo all the way for me.

UnknownStuntm...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:13 - 24 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

D O G wrote:

I've been out with people who use Strava, they bimble along until they hit a segment, then go nuts, wank off about how fast they did that segment, then bimble again.

Fuck that shit.

The only things I use to measure my performance is how much it hurts, and how long it's taken me to do a fixed route by the kitchen clock.

Meh, what works for you doesn't work for everyone. Whenever I go out, I choose whether or not to attack a segment. I very often will ride through one at my normal pace, blast the next one, then recover the one after. Next ride I'll swap the order I do them in. Bit like interval training, but against yourself. If you get the little 'PR' after you've finished, you know you did good. Or the wind was going the right way Wink
I think it adds another dimension to riding. I don't like clubs because they are all too keen to put you down when you turn up with furry legs or non-matching lycra. I can see if my times are comparable to others without having to put up with anyone else on my ride!
And, being in the top quarter of the results, I'm happy I'm not a complete clueless (legless) tw*t.

swanny
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 12:25 - 27 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

UnknownStuntman wrote:
D O G wrote:

Fuck that shit.

Meh, what works for you doesn't work for everyone. Whenever I go out, I choose whether or not to attack a segment. I very often will ride through one at my normal pace, blast the next one, then recover the one after. Next ride I'll swap the order I do them in. Bit like interval training, but against yourself. If you get the little 'PR' after you've finished, you know you did good. Or the wind was going the right way Wink
I think it adds another dimension to riding. I don't like clubs because they are all too keen to put you down when you turn up with furry legs or non-matching lycra. I can see if my times are comparable to others without having to put up with anyone else on my ride!
And, being in the top quarter of the results, I'm happy I'm not a complete clueless (legless) tw*t.

as above,

been using strava for 2 weeks now, 8 rides..

i'm never going to be good on the leaderboards as i'm 18.5 stone, however its good to see where you lie in the grand scheme of things, even using the power ratings to see where to get to,

if, like me, you have a very popular and hard segment at the end of your ride, its good to have that extra motivating factor, even if you do live on a mile stretch road with a gradient of between 10-15%

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 13:58 - 27 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the app. It forces you to include hills in training and as I'm quite competitive it has really enhanced my hill training.

I did have 3 KOMs at one point, but now only have 1. Sad
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Drew This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.
Drew This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 18:19 - 27 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this might be of relevance:
https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/strava-warning

On my first use I was surprised to find I was in 8th place on one climb. Ok, it's out of 14, so that's in the lower half, but I suspect something bad has started!

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 19:17 - 27 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^^ Genius pic on there...

https://cdn.bikechatforums.com/files/this.is.strava.png
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.

D O G
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:53 - 27 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

JonB wrote:
I love the app. It forces you to include hills in training and as I'm quite competitive it has really enhanced my hill training.

You are in the enviable position of not being able to avoid hills in your training, surely!?

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 11:51 - 28 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now ranked 3rd.
I think this is a bad thing.

D O G
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:38 - 28 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cycle for enjoyment, the calorie burning so I can eat what I like, and to keep fit.

I do some sportives, but not loads, and I'm not competitive, so I'm not yearning after massive improvements. Certainly not against other people.

This Strava bollocks is not in line with anything that i want to get out of cycling.

andi
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 16:07 - 28 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I joined 4 weeks ago. I am quite enjoying it. Very Happy

I have a local never raced King Strava bagger nearby. All was OK until I beat one of his KOMs. He even commented on the ride in a complimentary way. When I knocked him off a few more, the weirdness started. My rides were being flagged but only the ones where I 'd beaten him. Tried to find his profile to ask but I cannot! I assume he has blocked me. Must have a small dick or something Confused

Contacting the support facility has restored most of the flagged KOMS so I am happy enough Cool .

Strange that this guy had lots of short segments miles from home but no ride to or from the segment Rolling Eyes .

WannaBeDude
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:11 - 28 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

TLDR - i watch the Tour De France EVERY year, EVERY STAGE, plus hightlights.

Therefore, an app is not needed to tell me i'm not up to that standard.

Therefore, i would use a stopwatch. Had i not sold my BMX to fund MOAR motorbike 'stuff '.

Wink Smile

swanny
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 22:00 - 28 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

andi wrote:

Strange that this guy had lots of short segments miles from home but no ride to or from the segment Rolling Eyes .

i've noticed this too...

one guy that clocked 28 mph up a cat 4 climb.... which his ride started right at the bottom and ended.... well right at the bottom...

problem is there are no houses for miles from this hill...

end of the day though they're only cheating themselves...

f1fan111
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 01:47 - 29 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not used strava app yet, my personal fav is Sports Tracker as i just like to see how far i have rode. Have been using it since it was Nokia Sports Tracker on my N96 had problem where it wouldn't upload anything about a month ago Sad.

May give strava a try

Knot600RR
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:20 - 05 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Strava Bagging' is a quality pastime, makes sections of my commute really good fun, although non Strava fellow commuters must wonder why I suddenly take off for a mile or so!

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 23:34 - 05 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know; if I set up a new segment, will it immediately be populated by people that have done that bit before?

My usual 10k 'daily' quick ride comes in half way through a segment.
Fancy setting up a segment that comes in half way up that so I push myself, but would actually prefer it pre-populated so both I'm challenged and it doesn't look like I'm just doing it so I'm sat at the KOM position initially.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 00:30 - 06 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, cool, ta; so can do it at night and come back in the morning to see what the challenge is.

Though, of course I could just cycle to the bottom of the hill first I suppose Thinking.

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:38 - 10 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use map my ride to keep tabs on my riding. Tried Strava very briefly, but it was mostly road stuff.

carlosthejack...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:48 - 21 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a BCF group on Strava. There's only a couple of us doing very much. The more the merrier though...

https://app.strava.com/clubs/bike-chat-forums
Current rides: '05 VFR800 VTEC, '57 Mondeo 1.8 TDCi #58LEGEND
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 100 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2