Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Dropped my helmet :-/ do I really have to get a new one?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer



Joined: 20 Feb 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:56 - 26 Sep 2012    Post subject: Dropped my helmet :-/ do I really have to get a new one? Reply with quote

Just let my helmet roll off the seat of my bike. It landed squere on the top and bounced. At the CBT the instructor made a big deal about hoiw if you drop your helmet you have to replace it. (Yes I know I shouldent have balanced it on the seat)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Billo63
Crazy Courier



Joined: 02 Jul 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:01 - 26 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

In one word YES .

I certainly would replace any helmet after a drop like that, although it may only appear slightly scratched etc: there is no telling what internal damage such as fractures & the likes may have occured.
____________________
I might not be a gynecologist, but I know a cunt when I see one
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Alpha-9
Super Spammer



Joined: 19 Jan 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:02 - 26 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, man up

You don't have to do anything. You don't have to wear a helmet at all. It's the law, but you don't have to obey it Wink

s'probably fine, use your judgement
and don't listen to people like me
____________________
Fzr-600 1999
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Billo63
Crazy Courier



Joined: 02 Jul 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:06 - 26 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBT instructors that I know & have encountered usually tell riders to turn front wheel inwards, place gloves on ground & then sit lid on gloves
= front wheel covers helmet which may stop an inadvertant kick, gloves help prevent some creepy crawlies getting into lid & placed on ground means lid cannot drop no further.
____________________
I might not be a gynecologist, but I know a cunt when I see one
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion



Joined: 19 May 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:09 - 26 Sep 2012    Post subject: Re: Dropped my helmet :-/ do I really have to get a new one? Reply with quote

Boozehawk wrote:
Just let my helmet roll off the seat of my bike. It landed squere on the top and bounced. At the CBT the instructor made a big deal about hoiw if you drop your helmet you have to replace it. (Yes I know I shouldent have balanced it on the seat)


Your helmet is the only thing between you and the ground, a car or whatever. Do you want to gamble with your brain for the sake of 30 quid?


Andy / ScaredyCat
____________________
Honda CBF125 ➝ NC700X
Honda CBF125 ↳ Speed Triple
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Alpha-9
Super Spammer



Joined: 19 Jan 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:26 - 26 Sep 2012    Post subject: Re: Dropped my helmet :-/ do I really have to get a new one? Reply with quote

ScaredyCat wrote:
Boozehawk wrote:
Just let my helmet roll off the seat of my bike. It landed squere on the top and bounced. At the CBT the instructor made a big deal about hoiw if you drop your helmet you have to replace it. (Yes I know I shouldent have balanced it on the seat)


Your helmet is the only thing between you and the ground, a car or whatever. Do you want to gamble with your brain for the sake of 30 quid?


Andy / ScaredyCat


Your helmet was £30?
His could be a £300 arai for all we know, would you really replace that from dropping it slightly?

I hear helmets don't get as damaged if there's not a head in them.
But meh, I live on the edge Razz

You can always take out the innards and see if the polystyrene crap is compressed/damaged
____________________
Fzr-600 1999


Last edited by Alpha-9 on 14:27 - 26 Sep 2012; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer



Joined: 20 Feb 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:27 - 26 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh bugger! of to the bike helmet shop then.

like anyone puts there helmet on the ground.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

P.addy
Red Rocket



Joined: 14 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:27 - 26 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, its all bollocks.

Mine have fallen off seats, been down the road with my head attached... you'll be fine.

Jesus, people in this thread would cry at the state of some of my helmets.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Alpha-9
Super Spammer



Joined: 19 Jan 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:28 - 26 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boozehawk wrote:
oh bugger! of to the bike helmet shop then.

like anyone puts there helmet on the ground.

lol, loads of people do

at the bike parking in leicester there were 2 bikes with the lid on the ground chained to the bike...and it was PISSING IT DOWN!

Da fuq people?
____________________
Fzr-600 1999
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion



Joined: 19 May 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:31 - 26 Sep 2012    Post subject: Re: Dropped my helmet :-/ do I really have to get a new one? Reply with quote

Alpha-9 wrote:

Your helmet was £30?
His could be a £300 arai for all we know, would you really replace that from dropping it slightly?


I wish, sadly it wasn't only £30 quid. When you look at the cross sections though, they aren't very impressive. Sad

That price was to prevent any sort of "I can't afford a new one" - at 30 quid there's no excuse. Also it'd be cheaper for OP to buy 10 £30 quid ones to drop.. Razz

Fundamentally it's up to OP to decide to replace it or not - it's their bonce.



Andy / ScaredyCat
____________________
Honda CBF125 ➝ NC700X
Honda CBF125 ↳ Speed Triple
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:54 - 26 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't.

Helmets don't do much good anyway and to damage the polystyrene liner, you need to compress it. That can't happen unless it's been dropped from a great height or there was a head in it.

The best one is when you drop your helmet and kick it halfway across the room because your foot catches it on the way up.
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer



Joined: 20 Feb 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:16 - 26 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe il pop round to Hein Gericke next month if theyre still opne and see if i can get a deal.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

JoeDougieDoug...
World Chat Champion



Joined: 25 Oct 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:17 - 26 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've dropped mine a few times - aint no way I am replacing it just because I dropped it a foot or two. Laughing

Paddy, was it you who dropped (or threw) yours down the stairs and still though "Meh, fuck it..."? LOL!
____________________
CBT Passed - 22 / 10 / 11 >> Theory Passed - 16 / 02 / 2012 >> Mod 1 Passed - 07 / 03 / 2012 >> Mod 2 Passed - 18 / 05 / 2012.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

CaNsA
Super Spammer



Joined: 02 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:27 - 26 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

The outer shell is only there, in essence, to hold everything else in place.

fkin safety nazis Rolling Eyes
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

kotachi
Traffic Copper



Joined: 26 Mar 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:27 - 26 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just turn your front wheel to one side and hang it on the handlebar/mirror, whichever side is up in the air! I usually point it away from the sidestand so the helmet hangs on the nearside... Simples Thumbs Up Cool
____________________
CBT done - 24/03/2012, theory test done - 03/04/2012.. Mod 1 done -26/06/2012, Mod 2 done - 29/06/2012. Current steed: Cage.
Suntan Sid said: "Look at it this way, your employer wants to pay you the minimum amount, it thinks it can get away with, and extract from you the maximum amount of graft. Ergo it's your responsibility to ensure that karma is restored and you do as little work as you think you can get away with, for the maximum amount of money."
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer



Joined: 20 Jul 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:33 - 26 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

S'your head.
____________________
illuminateTHEmind wrote: I am just more evolved than most of you guys... this allows me to pick of things quickly which would have normally taken the common man years to master
Hockeystorm65:.well there are childish arguments...there are very childish arguments.....there are really stupid childish arguments and now there are......Pinkfloyd arguments!
Teflon-Mike:I think I agree with just about all Pinky has said.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Poseidon
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Aug 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:40 - 26 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Shoei Qwest was dropped a few times from seat height, attacked by my toddler on numerous occasions and carelessly bumped into many edges of the fixtures and fittings in my local supermarket. It had a couple of scratches on it (that I had coloured in with black marker to hide them) Did its job perfect when I face planted off the zx9 in dublin at somewhere between 30-40mph.

I wouldn't bother replacing it personally. They do go a bit nuts on the single use only thing on CBT/lessons. Primarily I think it's to get you to look after their gear, but it does teach you to treat your safety equipment with at least some care, if not going a little overboard in my opinion.
____________________
1977 Honda CG125
2002 Ducati Monster S4 (currently restoring)


Last edited by Poseidon on 15:43 - 26 Sep 2012; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

WannaBeDude
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Jul 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:41 - 26 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do what ive just done, buy a touch up pen for the lid - dropped it about 20 times. Thumbs Up
____________________
Jogging on, destination living.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:33 - 26 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nail varnish does a good job of touching up scratches on helmets.
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer



Joined: 20 Feb 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:41 - 26 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh well il leave it till christmas, a flashier helmet was on my list anyway.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:55 - 26 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was your head in it?

Then what damaged the polystyrene?

If the shell isn't cracked, take the lining out, and if there's no obvious damage to the polystyrene (the bit that actually protects you) then I'd strap on and ride.

Even if it is very slightly compressed, what kind of precision accident are you planning on having where that would make the difference between recovery and vegetardism or death?
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Magnet
Crazy Courier



Joined: 13 Aug 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:53 - 26 Sep 2012    Post subject: Re: Dropped my helmet :-/ do I really have to get a new one? Reply with quote

Boozehawk wrote:
Just let my helmet roll off the seat of my bike. It landed squere on the top and bounced. At the CBT the instructor made a big deal about hoiw if you drop your helmet you have to replace it. (Yes I know I shouldent have balanced it on the seat)


I chipped my brand new £240 helmet last week and put in an insurance claim as it was bought on a credit card Very Happy I get to keep the helmet and get my money back while only losing £25 excess.
____________________
It’s not that I’m so smart, it’s just that I stay with problems longer.

GPZ600R Sold, Now ZZR600
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

iMark
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Nov 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:30 - 26 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://imgur.com/a/1oDY0#0


Not giving a fuck, it's not had an accident in it... just bumps and bruises Razz
____________________
K8 GSXR 1000
"G" : you got him to have a look at a forum which seems to have established a picture of an erect penis in a cat's mouth as it's mascot and thought he might consider it ok?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

janner_10
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Sep 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:55 - 26 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Load of forum guff, as said above use your judgement. It should be ok.

Also stick your helmet over your mirrors, its about the only thing they are good for on most bikes! Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
____________________
Yamaha FZS600 (Now gone to heaven) > CBR600F4i (SOLD) > '99 YZF-R1
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

RomanMotard
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 25 Jan 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:08 - 26 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dropped mine, the paint cracked on the top, never replaced it, its agv k4 worth about £200! F*K that! Get on with it...... Mr. Green
____________________
Theory passed 9/03/2012, Mod 1 passed 29/03/2012, Mod 2 passed 19/07/2012.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 14 years, 15 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.10 Sec - Server Load: 0.9 - MySQL Queries: 16 - Page Size: 133.84 Kb