BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Gears (detailed response please)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

instigator
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:29 - 24 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm doing MEng at Uni at apparently the 3rd best uni in the uk.

To be honest, I used to like it, I now have no desire or motivation to do anything with it now.....wish I hadn't bothered with uni. Money is good but that isn't everything...

mchaggis
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:33 - 24 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in my Finalist year on Automotive engineering. BEng unfortunately, but that's my fault for being lazy the past couple of years.

I've learnt to draw that from too many lectures, and too many exams and courseworks wanting schematics of those components. As to where my interests lie, probably in anything between the engine and the road, i.e. clutches, gearboxes, driveline, brakes, suspension, tyres etc. (Powertrains in other words).

As to going to Loughborough to do Mech. Eng., I can certainly recommend the university, I think I made a rather longwinded positive post about it some time in the past... but I can't seem to find it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

paulyzf600
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 02:16 - 25 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny thing is I took a couple of lessons to get used to the whole gear change specially when coming to a stop I found it hard to select the gears as well as brakes etc etc..lol Just tap the gear lever down loads to made sure your in first before stopping the lever wil go really hard and the gear box will probably make more of a clunking noise thatn it did with therest of the gears!
It is possible to pull away in second but with lots of clutch slip and it's not advisable as your instructor will give you loads of stick!

Yeah Yamaha gear boxes.......something for me to look forward to yippie! I was riding my brothers thundercat the other day and accelerating hard into second and out it jumped into neutrol.......aparently thundercats are renound to do that.....oh well will just have to get used to it and make sure I lift my foot hard enough into second.

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!

PostPosted: 11:57 - 25 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

proximity, no there's not supposed to be a neutral between every gear, only between first and second.

from neutral you tap down for first, then up for second, or half an 'up' from first to neutral, or half a tap down from second to neutral.

3rd best uni.... Imperial college? York? Bristol? Cardiff?

Gaz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

instigator
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:10 - 25 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

strathclyde uni.....only for mechanical engineering though....

proximity
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 23:59 - 25 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you dont mind me asking, what has put you off it? What would you have done if you had not gone to uni?

CBRPETER
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 12:28 - 26 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gazdaman wrote:
My bike's got a neutral between every gear which is a nice added suprise.
Gaz

LOL! I hat when you go into a false neutral and the bike revs heeps hard, people start looking, then i just rev it to make it look deliberate. Very Happy

27yo kid
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 13:45 - 26 Oct 2004    Post subject: luffbra! Reply with quote

Have to agree on the fact that you'll never even pull a wheel off the ground on a 50. I had similar concerns when I got my derbi but alas to no avail. Crying or Very sad

I find gears harder on a bike that a standard H shift in a car but I guess thats just me. (mind you, I do have a quick shift on my kit car so maybe thats why!)

Oh, and BIG UP LUFFBRA!!! went there for five years, was ents chair and helped run one of the best unions in its time. (since I left its gone downhill rapidly!)

Is it a jaguar or eurofighter in the engineering department?

27yo kid
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 13:47 - 26 Oct 2004    Post subject: oh, and... Reply with quote

when I went to loughborough it was 7th best for chemistry, top three for engineering, top for sports and, was the BIGGEST AND BEST (voted by red somethign or other) independant student union in the whole of western europe. Not to mention having the biggest catered hall in europe!

Totally unrelated but thought I'd just slide the comment in without being noticed! Wink

mchaggis
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:45 - 26 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Experimental Aircraft Programme aircraft (EAP) is in the Display Area of the Aero/ Auto department. It was a technology demonstrator (one off prototype) for the BA Eurofighter Typhoon. Though they took the engine away...

Quote:
biggest catered hall in Europe?

That wouldn't happen to be Elvyn Richards by any chance? Where I am at this precise moment in time. And yes, it's one of the only student unions which is owned by the students, not by the university, if that makes any sense at all.

https://www.eurofighter.com/Images/Evolution/eap1.jpg became this https://www.eurofighter.com/Images/Style/Photos/7.jpg
https://www.eurofighter.com/Evolution/EAP/Default.asp?Flash=True

https://www.zap16.com/images/ZF534.jpg

https://www.zap16.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

27yo kid
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 15:28 - 26 Oct 2004    Post subject: saints and devils Reply with quote

Yeah, one of my mates went on to work on eurofighter, in fact he still is working on it.
Highly amusing when people say its outdated. OK, the outside might look the same but the inside....well, I cant say anything as I dont know anything Wink but its very cool!

As for elvynn, I was in faraday, but yeah, elvynn is the biggest.

And the union, it was given some land by the university, to do with as it pleases. (it was given the area it stands on now right up to the roundabout, which is now the olympic size pool!)
Anyway, they sold half of it back to the uni after a while, made themselves independant and roberts your fathers brother, spen lots of money on the union. It also has to spend all the profit it makes on the union as it cant make a profit (charitable status!)

A lighting rig that was the best in the county, sound second to non, I leave and they just go downhill!!!!

When did you start?

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!

PostPosted: 22:25 - 26 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loughborough's student union is cool. The little night club thing they've got going in there is really nice!!

Gaz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 22:58 - 26 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of interest do you happen to know a Phil Miller who goes to Loughborough uni?

mchaggis
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:05 - 26 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hrm, I can't say I do, do you know what course he's on? If it's not final year auto. eng. I have to say I've not a chance. There are 15,000 students you know. Smile

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 23:12 - 26 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm what course, he's probably sat in his room taking a course of exercies, he bought this (probably not work safe unless you want to be looked at strangely Razz) , might be useful for blackmail purposes. Twisted Evil

27yo kid
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 14:11 - 27 Oct 2004    Post subject: oi! Reply with quote

That little nightlclub thing????
I'll have you know the capacity of the union on an event night is (was when I was running it!) 2750, that makes it one of the biggest nightclubs in the whole of leicestershire!

little nightclub... Evil or Very Mad
grrrrrrr Wink
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 188 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2