BCF: Bike Chat Forums

MTB

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum
View previous topic : View next topic  

Bubbs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:26 - 30 Sep 2012    Post subject: MTB Reply with quote

First post in the new forum... wahey! Popped my cycle cherry.

So... Anyone here do mountain biking? I need recommendations for a decent bike. Going through the "cycle to work" scheme. Usually this scheme limits you at £1,000, however I work for the forestry commission so I get unlimited.

I was thinking of a bike in between £1,500 to £2,500. I imagine it should be X-Country rather than full DH. The bike has to be full suspension as a hard tail would be painful.

So any recommendations are welcomed.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 09:51 - 30 Sep 2012    Post subject: Re: MTB Reply with quote

I've got a Giant Reign and I'm very happy with it.

6" of travel and tough, but still light weight enough (mine is the Reign 0, got 2nd hand) to climb very nicely.

Note that there is a big range between 'XC' and 'DH'; I've got a bit lost in last few years but 'free ride' bikes tend to be downhill, but a little lighter with an extra front sprocket for an occasional bit of up, while 'all mountain' accepts you want to go down fast, but also want to get up the next one by pedal power.

Bubbs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:09 - 30 Sep 2012    Post subject: Re: MTB Reply with quote

G wrote:
I've got a Giant Reign and I'm very happy with it.

6" of travel and tough, but still light weight enough (mine is the Reign 0, got 2nd hand) to climb very nicely.

Note that there is a big range between 'XC' and 'DH'; I've got a bit lost in last few years but 'free ride' bikes tend to be downhill, but a little lighter with an extra front sprocket for an occasional bit of up, while 'all mountain' accepts you want to go down fast, but also want to get up the next one by pedal power.

The reign looks nice. Thanks for the info on lingo! It does get quite confusing. So all mountain is the ones i'm looking for. Just finished watching ride guide where they sample trails in Wales... then got told about cycle to work scheme and that was me!

Be nice to tear down some trails again, although last time I did it was in British Columbia and there was a chair lift to take me to the top rather than my legs! Going to be tough doing this xcountry business.

haroman666
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:42 - 10 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Specialzed Enduro? They're pretty damn good for AM/XC. But doubt you'd get one within your price range. (Dont know for sure. Been very out of touch with the MTB community recently so all knowledge of the current bikes/happenings is very limited).

But since it's an MTB thread, here's my trusty steed:
https://i1247.photobucket.com/albums/gg630/haroman6661/30062010123.jpg

07 Kona Stinky
Upgrades:
06 Marzocchi 66 Forks
Avid Juicy 7 rear brake
E13 LG1 chain guide
Diabolus Crank
Full SRAM X9 drivetrain + Shifter
Blackspire Chain ring
MTX camo laced to a Hope pro2 hub on the rear
Wellgo V12 pedals
Decent lock on grips (cant remember who makes them)
GEAX DH rear tyre, Maxxis Minion DHF front tyre

I think that's it. I've spent about as much money on this as I have on the Bandit.

Where do you guys ride? I spose it would be prudent to know where you guys are from too.

I'm from Cambridgeshire so I ride a Chicksands over in Beds quite a lot. (Well I used to, not so much now i'm at uni)

Bubbs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:08 - 11 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

haroman666 wrote:
Specialzed Enduro? They're pretty damn good for AM/XC. But doubt you'd get one within your price range. (Dont know for sure. Been very out of touch with the MTB community recently so all knowledge of the current bikes/happenings is very limited).

But since it's an MTB thread, here's my trusty steed:
https://i1247.photobucket.com/albums/gg630/haroman6661/30062010123.jpg

07 Kona Stinky
Upgrades:
06 Marzocchi 66 Forks
Avid Juicy 7 rear brake
E13 LG1 chain guide
Diabolus Crank
Full SRAM X9 drivetrain + Shifter
Blackspire Chain ring
MTX camo laced to a Hope pro2 hub on the rear
Wellgo V12 pedals
Decent lock on grips (cant remember who makes them)
GEAX DH rear tyre, Maxxis Minion DHF front tyre

I think that's it. I've spent about as much money on this as I have on the Bandit.

Where do you guys ride? I spose it would be prudent to know where you guys are from too.

I'm from Cambridgeshire so I ride a Chicksands over in Beds quite a lot. (Well I used to, not so much now i'm at uni)

Not ridden in the uk yet, just Canada.

I've ridden a standard factory Kona stinky and it was pretty decent. Your rig looks more set up for downhill rather than XC though, don't you find it hard getting around especially with only a few gears? Hill climbs must be a killer with so much travel.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 10:32 - 11 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Giant only has slightly less travel than a stock stinky (6" vs 7"), but climbs nicely because of the way it's set up (and possibly the 'propedal' thing on the shock) - however of course the Stinky is going to get down the other side much more nicely Smile.

Also, can pretty much just leave it in the middle chainring for 'fun' bits, so a single front chain ring isn't much of an issue.

UnknownStuntm...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:42 - 11 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Step 1: Look here: https://www.santacruzbicycles.com/superlight/
Step 2:Drool.
Step 3:Buy.
Step 4:Enjoy.

For the money you're talking about I'd get one of them, they're awesome, really light bikes. 100mm travel is firmly XC territory, but it's all useable and this bike will not penalise you when you want to get back up to the top.

I've ridden one and it was lush.

haroman666
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:39 - 11 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bubbs wrote:

Not ridden in the uk yet, just Canada.

I've ridden a standard factory Kona stinky and it was pretty decent. Your rig looks more set up for downhill rather than XC though, don't you find it hard getting around especially with only a few gears? Hill climbs must be a killer with so much travel.

Yeah I don't ride up hills Razz
I kind of have it set up for Freeride too keep it a bit more nimble, but I tend to do mostly DH.

Tbh it's my do-it-all bike. I take it down all the gnarly DH tracks abroad. I also take it on the Dirt Jumps and 4X at Chicksands. But if I fancy doing a local "fitness ride" i just whack the seat up and act as if it's an overweight XC bike Razz I've ridden it 10 miles from my house to college once. That was killer, since I had my full-face on too I just sweated buckets.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 192 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1