Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Pre A2 bike test nerves

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

fanta
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 09:48 - 18 Oct 2004    Post subject: Pre A2 bike test nerves Reply with quote

I've got my A2 coming up soon, Can you guys give me some tips on lifesavers and other little things to watch out for

I'm ok with turn in road and emergency stop... i had a lesson recently and the tutor said i did them ok..

thanks

stryker
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 10:20 - 18 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing I found most easily forgotten is the shoulder check every time you change direction, even when changing position in the same lane.

Just remember to think and think again before doing anything. You can get away with a few minors for being hesitant.

Also I found the following more easy to remember when turning:

Observation, mirrors.
Observation, position.
Observation, turn.

HTH.

iCraig
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:50 - 18 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to re-itterate what stryker said do a lifesaver, whenever you make a manouvre and not when just changing direction.
The examiner will be looking for you doing a lifesaver when you change you speed too, I.e. when you enter an NSL limit before you speed up you must do a lifesaver.

Also as stryker said when you change direction you must do a lifesaver in the direction you are turning.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 12:44 - 18 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

CraigZZR wrote:

The examiner will be looking for you doing a lifesaver when you change you speed too, I.e. when you enter an NSL limit before you speed up you must do a lifesaver.

I agree that lifesavers are important, but why when entering a NSL? Confused
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Weed
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 13:08 - 18 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

mebbe if your going from a 50 into a 30 and slow down rapidly and there is a car up your backside you could cause an accident??

iCraig
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:23 - 18 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somerset Scratcher wrote:
I agree that lifesavers are important, but why when entering a NSL? Confused

I was told by my instructor to do it as there maybe another vehicle in your blind spot going to overtake so your meant to do a lifesaver.

allweatherbik...
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 18:58 - 18 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I was told by my instructor to do it as there maybe another vehicle in your blind spot going to overtake so your meant to do a lifesaver

I was given the same advice by my instructor although I never went on a road with more than a 40MPH speed limit on my test.

All the best

NickD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:33 - 18 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Above all else RELAX! Easier said than done I know, but if you are relaxed, it will just come to you, solutions to problems will be obvious and you will remember everything you have learned. It's been 14 years since my test, and I still ride like a tw@ if I'm not relaxed. It's not 'life and death', it's just a test. Breathe, focus, and enjoy the ride, and you'll be fine.

Nath
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:37 - 18 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently all the possible test routes 'round my way take in a NSL road. My instructor told me that the examiner will be satisfied if you do over 50mph, if you're only on a 125.

The most important thing is what others have told you on observation. Basically, before you do anything, look over your right shoulder. Pull out wide to pass stationary vehicles, slow down for potential hazards, pull right up to the white line when stopping at junctions/crossings, and if you see a gap to pullout into do your checks before it gets to you so you can pull straight out. Make sure you're totally happy with U-Turns, hill starts, and angled/blind starts - These are all easy when you can do them, but if you're not 100%, are a great way to cockup an otherwise great performance.

So:
Arrow Plenty of observation
Arrow Always do the maximum speed limit, and don't hang around getting there
Arrow Slow down for potential hazards, but not stupidly
Arrow If you make a mistake, don't dwell on it.

I wasn't sure whether i'd passed my test, as i made a few errors, yet i only got 3 minors. Never assume you've failed, because you just don't know. Oh, and read Slavo's guide just to be sure you know everything.

iCraig
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:37 - 18 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and one other thing to add is....STOP at unmarked crossroads if you have any on your test routes, otherwise thats an instant fail! Wink

fanta
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 13:05 - 20 Oct 2004    Post subject: Failed the A2! Reply with quote

Well did the test couple of hours ago, a perfect ride, in rush hour traffic and he fails me on "Speed progress" I am so fustrated about it cause i ensured at all times i was atleast 2 seconds behind the car infront, exactly as the DSA book and Highway code says,and i obeyed all speed restrictions etc...and he fails me. Its a CG for gods sake!!! I'm in a bad mood!! And, whats this 10 working day wait between tests all about??

stryker
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 16:01 - 20 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

This confuses me. So you had no minors other than for progress? Do you think maybe you did anything to make him think you'd go out and get killed? Were you overly hesitant at junctions? Do you feel you say chances to join traffic pass you by?

Oh well, better luck next time.

fanta
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:06 - 20 Oct 2004    Post subject: RE: Reply with quote

Okay looking at the DL25 now, 3 minors on appropiate speed, and 2 on undue hesitation,one on steering, 2 on balance, i didn't get the pillion question at the end of the test either, instead he asked a question about riding in the wind! he did all the ticks on the sheet after asking the question, (must have had a good memory) then, delivered the bad news to me!

Frost
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:12 - 20 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

He failed you by giving you a serious on "making progress" in the "use of speed" section?

That normally means that you werent going fast enoug at some point and held up trafic. this might be misreading a speed sign such as taking a speed advisory to be a speed limit. otherwise it might be not going through a gap, or being too causious at a roundabout or junction.

Next time ask for a debreif from the examiner, he will normally tell you where you went wrong and what you did.

Davo
Davo To The Rescue!

PostPosted: 01:01 - 21 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of things to keep in mind, I apologise if they have already been said, but I'd thought it'd be useful.

-Cancel your indicators after turning as this can be marked as a serious if you pass a junction with your indicator on.
-MirrorsCheck them before changing speed, use a lifesaver when changing course.
-Know your machine At the beginning of your test you will be asked some questions to check your knowledge of the machine's roadworthiness, these will be asked as tell me & show me question. Also make sure all your lights & horn is working correctly, a few people have failed due to their brake light staying on/indicator not working etc...
-Ride as if your riding alone If you become separated from your examiner, don't slow down for him to catch up, it is up to him to keep up with you.
-DON'T PANIC As this will adversely affect your concentration, and more than likely cause you to fail.

Below is the breakdown of the test.

You will be followed by an instructor either on bike or car.

At the beginning of the test you will be fitted with a radio, then have your eyesight checked, where the examiner will ask you to read the registration of a car parked in the car park.

You will then proceed out on to the road and at some point during the test you'll be asked to perform a series of maneuvers (e.g. angled start, hill start, u-turn, emergency stop etc..)

When you get back to the test centre you will be taken back into the office and given your result (you will get asked about some pillion questions first - just to prolong the tension).

To pass the test you'll be allowed to make no more 15 minors (& no serious/dangerous's). Hope this helps & best of luck with the test.[/u]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stryker
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 10:34 - 21 Oct 2004    Post subject: Re: RE: Reply with quote

fanta wrote:
Okay looking at the DL25 now, 3 minors on appropiate speed, and 2 on undue hesitation,one on steering, 2 on balance, i didn't get the pillion question at the end of the test either, instead he asked a question about riding in the wind! he did all the ticks on the sheet after asking the question, (must have had a good memory) then, delivered the bad news to me!

Fanta, it seems from those minors above that he had the impression you were too new to riding. Notice all the minors there were to do with errors that give the impression you were going too slow and were not sure of yourself.

Now for all I know, your a great rider but not great at tests. This was the case for me and I really had to fight myself to just go without holding back.

Be honest with yourself. Are you not confident enough in your riding? or was this just a case of test nerves?

HTH, its hard to ask all this without offending you.

fanta
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 23:53 - 21 Oct 2004    Post subject: RE: Reply with quote

i've now recovered, hopefully crack it next time!

paulodd
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 00:03 - 22 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

you'll be fine, if you have lessons before hand they straighten all your worries and mistakes out, if your not, just over exagerate your safety, thats all they are looking for, its not a test, they are just looking to see if you can ride safely! (easy said than done! i was very nervous when i had mine. lol)

good luck
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

ppeaster
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 22:39 - 22 Oct 2004    Post subject: Re: RE: Reply with quote

fanta wrote:
i've now recovered, hopefully crack it next time!

Fanta you'll be fine. It took me four yes FOUR attempts to pass my test due to nerves and making stupid mistakes on the first three.

So you've got a way before you should start to worry Very Happy

It's worth the wait - I passed on Monday and am still on a high! Going to a few dealers tomorrow and hopefully I'll have a Thundercat or SV650 by this time next week.

p.s. this is my first post - hello everyone and thanks - I've picked up loads of good advice here!

Rift.
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:00 - 27 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

its really easy just remember the essentials and have a friendly chat with the instructor before setting off to get on his good side.

i passed first time with 8 minors, my bro on the other hand failed first because he was in the wrong lane and when the traffic set off he changed lane so dont do that. He also let go of one handle to switch a button on the other side off but the instructor didnt see it luckily Wink

AdamBoyle
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 10:53 - 28 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

What type of pillion questions/riding in the wind questions are there? I want to be prepared for when i go for my test Very Happy

pipnet11
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 18:12 - 28 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

The question I got both times (doh!) was "what difference will carrying a passenger make to your bike?"

Answers: 1. Bikes more top heavy, meaning you have to lean less
2. Your combined weight is heavier so you want have as much acceleration and your brakeing distances increase.

Things that need changing (he might ask you this): 1. change suspension settings as described in manual.
2. increase tyre pressures again from the maual.
3. Adjust headlight to compensate for any change in ride height.
4. Leave larger distances for breaking and look for larger gaps when coming out of junctions etc.

Dont think I missed anything. As I say I got this same question both times so dont really kow what else you get asked.

Phill
I love the girls that do, I hate the girls that dont, I hate the girls who say they will and then they say they wont, but the girl I like most of all and I think youll say Im right, is the girl who says she never has but looks as though she might. - Max Bygraves

paulyzf600
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:04 - 28 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah don't forget about the head checks they are one of the most important things!!! I know ppl have said already, if there is a parked car you must do a head check then move out slightly to allow for the correct space from the car then a head check to the left to go back into position (in town it feels like you are looking sideways more than infront!).
One mistake I made was I made my life saver head check as I committed myself which you must do before you turn!!

The questions like how do you check your chain tension you say I would refer to my owners manual same with any adjustments to the bike!
On my test I was asked to show how I'd test my lights........lol so I just switched them on and made sure the brake light litup on both front and back levers!

Oh and a must if it rains try your hardest to get some waterproofs on as this will give you extra browny points as the instructor will see that you have dressed appropriatly (they can sometimes mark you down if you turn up in jeans).
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 185 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1