BCF: Bike Chat Forums

New Biker =D

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Kirmit
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 18:47 - 28 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All, I've just passed my CBT Very Happy and bought a Honda City Flyer. At the ripe age of 38 I decided it was time. Would have gone for DAS but not yet confident enough, (One day on a motorbike Sad )
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

AcIdBuRnZ
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:18 - 29 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good on you. Just remember that they are trying to phase out DAS, so you may want to book it for next spring..........
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

ProXimaCore
Dougal

PostPosted: 10:11 - 29 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

AcIdBuRnZ wrote:
Just remember that they are trying to phase out DAS

Are they?

Project9928
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 13:40 - 29 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice one kirmit Very Happy

is there going to phase out DAS then its a good job I'm going to do it at the beggining of december in the cold and the rain Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Frost
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:50 - 29 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

ProXimaCore wrote:

Are they?

The power of superbikes combined witht he way insurance companies base risk off age means that a 60 year old with no biking expirence can do a DAS, have ridden for a total of about 15 hours and be able to ride an R1 with cheap as fuck insurance.

They want to introduce a cheme where by doing a DAS will restrict you to 33bhp for a year. A good idea in my oppinion.

Claud 14.7 to 1
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:28 - 29 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sports 400s would be much more fun than a 500. If you can afford the insurance and the upkeep, and you like sports bikes get a little sports 400. Thumbs Up

Claud 14.7 to 1
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:41 - 29 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

AcIdBuRnZ wrote:

Sports bikes rely more on the high spinning (revving) of the engine to produce their power. Then when the power does kick in is when it will catch you out, as it will rocket very quickly.

Hope this helps, even a little.

MArk

Eh?Eh?

Can’t say this has ever happened to me. And if you do feel this let go of the throttle, simple. Yeah sure it has a powerband, but its not exactly lethal.

400s are not mad bitches that want to throw you off all the time.

My 400 was my first bike, and it’s been fine. Just take it easy. Anyway a 400 sports and a 500 would have similar acceleration speed, (400 would be a bit faster), just 400 will haver more higher up and less lower down. Its fine trust me.

I'd be more worried about cornering and braking because they are the tough obstacles to overcome when you are a new rider. When you are a new rider you ride slowly anyway (if you have a brain).

Mine was full power 60 when I came from my 125 test, and i didnt find it too bad. Yeah it feels fast as hell, but doesn't mean you have to go fast as hell. Remember the throttle works both ways.

When you get it re-striced to 33bhp, which you will have to, you will be fine.

EDIT sorry just realised you are doing DAS. It will still be fine, as you will have been learning on a much more powerful bike than I was learning on.

I recon you could even now jump on a sports 400 and be ok, seeing as you have been 3-4 months on a 125. Just dont ride like an idiot, same goes for when you have passed your test.

Project9928
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 16:49 - 29 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for that claud, hehehe trust me I will be riding slow after doing my DAS. Round my area you can't really do over 40 and theres heavy traffic everywhere so you have to take it easy or you'll probably hit some idiot pulling out on you.

As for a 400 sports bike I knid of changed my mind on now. After I went bike shopping with my friend who has just done his DAS he showed me the SV650s hes going to get. So I have decided that I want to go with an SV650 unfaired and have a nice streetfighter style bike Very Happy not having the fairings for me isn't much of a problem as most of the riding will be in 40mph - 60mph zones. So the low down power would be more useful then a sports bike with most of the power at higher revs.

Claud 14.7 to 1
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:38 - 29 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe this will make you change your mind:

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v123/ruizclaudio/resized1133.jpg

And it handles just as good as it looks. Twisted Evil

Although I do understand about the farings part: they are hassle... But they look nice. Wink

And I agree sv650s are nice bikes. Thumbs Up

mchaggis
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:02 - 29 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trouble is with the sports 400's is that they all seem to have had the back ends just sliced off with a hot knife and little round or square lights stuck on. The tanks seem a bit angular too. I'm not saying they're ugly, just nit picking. Razz Stick an art can on a rvf 400 and it sounds gorgeous. Twisted Evil And they've a noticeably shorter wheelbase compared to a sports tourer so look (and certainly were from my pillion perspective on a big VFR) a lot more maneuverable.

Claud 14.7 to 1
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:34 - 29 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Thumbs Up

Project9928
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 03:19 - 30 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tis nice but just doesn't compair to this Twisted Evil

Project9928
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 03:21 - 30 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Ixil double high mount exhaust looks so nice Very Happy thing is i don't know if its road legal or not, haven't been able to find much info on them yet but they look very very nice. I haven't even got the bike yet and I'm planning what I'll be doing to it lol.

Claud 14.7 to 1
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:59 - 30 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah you have "money" then. Yeah def, those new ones are beau-tiful. Thumbs Up

Project9928
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 10:15 - 30 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahhh just take a little saving up most of the mods arn't over £150. The expensive bits will be the exhaust, wheels and single swing arm if I can find one. Probably take a fair bit to all get done, but it'll look good in the end Very Happy
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 184 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2