BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Filtering through traffic!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

paulodd
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 15:32 - 21 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

i no its not the end of the world loosing the no claims but at my age i want the cheapest insurance so i can waste my money on other things like going out etc. im glad to here that its legal, but not so glad to hear, well i did think that the insurance company will not like it. yes the damage to his car wasn't that bad but the whole of his front bumper was busted.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

malb
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 15:55 - 21 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've sort of found the level I'm comfortable at now, if the traffic is still moving reasonably quickly then I don't bother. But if its slow, or stopped then I will filter if its safe.

I saw a bloke on a Fazer the other day he was filtering through really tight traffic which was moving slowly. So I thought Thinking Idea my bike is smaller than his I know I'll follow him Very Happy Thumbs Up .

So we are going down this huge line of traffic and we come to two high sides, and the fazer guy carries on. I was a bit unsure so backed off and it was a damn good job I did, because the lanes narrowed and the high side in the outside lane moved over, without checking his mirror. So the bloke on the Fazer had to do a little head shimmy just to get passed the wing mirrors. Police Shocked Police

If I'd have followed him I would have had my legs crushed for sure. Sick

stryker
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 13:42 - 22 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm of the same inclination as you malb. When filtering I especially keep an eye on large goods vehicles as they are terrible for just pulling out without checking. Their large wing mirror offer the chance to keep an eye on the driver and his hands, so even if he's not using them, you can. Thumbs Up

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 19:05 - 22 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I think Paulodd is probably OK legally, and it should be resolved in his favour by the insurance companies eventually.

However it is not a straight open and shut case and they will try and wiggle out of it. As such it may take ages and may land up involving a legal representative.

If the guy will deal direct without involving the insurance companies then go for it. Get an official quote done but also see how much you can source the parts / labour for elsewhere (eg, pattern handlebars, bend the footrest back) and then have a word with him.

All the best

Keith

paulodd
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 21:31 - 22 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

kickstart thanks for your comment, im about to get hold of him in a mo, as to the fixing of the bike, my mums partner is going to do it, he reckons it will cost £10 worth of welding and using a tin can for the crank case, or to get one from a breakers.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

pipnet11
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 23:27 - 22 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
£10 worth of welding and using a tin can for the crank case

Oh yes! comeon the bodge job! Laughing For a long time my GS125 had a modified bit of a frying pan acting as the oil filter cover, which worked incredibly well for about a year till i found one in another scrap yard.

Thumbs Up

Phill
I love the girls that do, I hate the girls that dont, I hate the girls who say they will and then they say they wont, but the girl I like most of all and I think youll say Im right, is the girl who says she never has but looks as though she might. - Max Bygraves
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!

PostPosted: 00:34 - 23 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

hahaha, a bit of frying pan, that rocks!

Gaz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

paulodd
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 00:41 - 23 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

frying pan! quality, all i need to decide now is what type of tin can? baked beans, spagetti hoops? soup?

Come on give me your ides....

malb
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 00:49 - 23 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spiderman Spagetti!

pipnet11
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 16:46 - 23 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hienz baked beans! superior sealing qualities. Laughing

Phill
I love the girls that do, I hate the girls that dont, I hate the girls who say they will and then they say they wont, but the girl I like most of all and I think youll say Im right, is the girl who says she never has but looks as though she might. - Max Bygraves
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

paulodd
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 23:07 - 24 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

its back on the road! for the moment i have abit of silver duck/insulator tape over it, just so i can still get around! lol

pipnet11
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 00:07 - 25 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duck tape, great stuff. Fixes loads of things. Including punctures for long enough to get you home, as long as you have tubed tyres that is.

Phill

california_rookie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:14 - 25 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Filtering. I do it way too often in situations which I probably shouldn't. I'd like to state for the record that if I do have any contact with car or ground, it'll probably be because of inappropriate filtering on my part. Keep getting caught in too tight of spaces after already passing 2/3 of the 20+ cars. Seems there's a lot of uneven ground between the lanes that I never noticed before as well. Here's hoping I've learned my lesson from the couple of scary wobbles I've gotten so far. Neutral
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

fuzz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:21 - 30 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Major_Grooves wrote:
The lines in your photo are open lined hatching which you should not enter unless necessary and safe to do so

Just wondering, what is meant by necessary? Late for work? I tend to stay out of these areas but there's always some ped boy or mod zooming straight past me in the middle of the cross-hatch. Is it OK then to filter here?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 185 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2