Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

CBR250RR as a first bike?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

Maaku
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 10:01 - 28 Oct 2004    Post subject: CBR250RR as a first bike? Reply with quote

Hi All,

First post. I live in Japan (been here for 7 years) and am thinking of getting a bike. I can ride it almost year round here (I used to live in Canada so I wasn't interested in those days due to snow being on the ground over 5 months out of the year where I lived).

I haven't taken a course yet to learn, but I'm looking into it and will probably start next month - it takes a bit of doing over here. I'm just wondering if anyone has any advice on what bike I should get (I've looked over the sticky up top). Ultimately, I want to get a CBR600RR, but this doesn't strike me as the best choice for a first bike. I'm shortish (5'4") so want to start on a bike I'll feel in control of at all times (including when I'm parking it, rolling backwards and stopping) and will be a possible lead-in to getting what I really want in a year or two. I was thinking a CBR250RR might suit since the seat's way lower and so's the power. They're also in abundance here. I just walked past a bike shop near my office and there's a used one on offer for 218 000 yen (US$2000 or 1100 pounds sterling). A quick look on the Internet revealed the standard price is around 300 000 (US$ plus or minus or 1500 pounds). If I get this bike, I want to buy a used one first so I can get rid of it in a year or two without a big financial loss. I could also get a CBR400RR for about 25% more, but there's an inspection in Japan every 2 years for anything over 250 that costs about US$700, which would be a total waste of money if I'm not planning on keeping it for the long-term.

The other option I'm thinking of is a Yamaha Drag Star 250, which I think is known as a Road Star in some countries. I'm thinking this bike would be more fun and relaxing to ride and I might keep it if I upgraded, but it would be stupid to have a 250 and 600 of the same thing (namely a CBR).

In Japan, you need to get a license that's limited to 400cc first, then you can go for one that has no limit. I think they want people to get used to biking first before moving up to something bigger. It'll cost about US$700 to get the first license and then that again (or a bit more) for the one that lets me go over 400. Basically, I think it's just a big waste of money to get a 400 if I'm going to get fleeced for an extra $750 every other year just to have some dude check it out and say "yeah, that's pretty much fine" and make some small adjustments or whatever they do to justify the ridiculous fee.

Any thoughts on these options? Thanks for any help you can offer or experiences you can share if you've started on one of these or owned something similar.

Cheers,

Maaku
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 22:39 - 28 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

The CBR250 is a fairly small bike, although I think the 400 is even smaller. However you are not that short.

Not sure on the Japanese driving environment but I would be inclined to say get some lessons and see how you get on, then look at a bike. If you have a bit of experience (not years, just time to actually learn how to control a bike) then I would say a CBR250 is a fairly good first bike, but I would not advise it to actually learn how to control a bike.

All the best

Keith

Maaku
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 03:37 - 29 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Keith,

Thanks for the advice. I'll have to go to a school here for a couple of months before I get my license - it can be done quicker but my work schedule doesn't allow it. Licensing is big business here in Japan and it costs a lot and you pretty well have to take a course or they fail you. I'd been driving a car for a long time when I first went to a license centre and they said I would probably fail five or six times if I didn't take a course and you have to pay every time, whereas if you take the course they teach you until you pass no matter how long it takes for the same price. The schools here have little tracks with hills, mini-bridges, parking spaces: here are some pics - there's lots of Japanese on this page so all browsers might not support it:

https://www.newdriver.co.jp/course/course.html

Personally I think the system is a bit of a joke here in some ways because everything is so controlled. Sometimes I see learners with their teachers in cars rolling around at ultra-low speeds outside and it's so far from the reality of driving here one has to wonder if there's really any connection between the school and true driving. The good thing is that the schools provide cars and bikes (and different sizes) to practice on while there so I won't be buying anything until the course is finished.

Cheers,

Maaku
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ewok85
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 18:42 - 29 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaken sucks the big one, but theres ways around it (well, kinda. You need to have it, but you can probably do your own maintenance saving paying some guy several hundred just to change a bulb, not do anything and say its ok).

Where are you from originally? Did you have your licence? Did you drive before? DONT GO THRU A SCHOOL. Just take the exam, lets see, 200,000 yen to be instructor taught or 3000 a pop to just do the exam. You have to fail it 65 times before you start losing money, get my drift? Wink Im not keen on the Japanese system of licencing, they teach them to drive damn well, all the weird riding/driving over beams and bridges and odd angled surfaces, but they dont teach them how to drive in traffic. You've been there 7 years, if you've spent any time riding in a car you'll know what I mean, its absolutly shocking.

If you dont mind me asking, where abouts in Japan are you?

Also - old but interesting. Read and consider Very Happy https://www.thejapanfaq.com/bikerfaq-toc.html

Edit: reason i ask about if you previously had your licence and where you are from is because you can have your licence ported over IF you are from a country that drives on the same side of the road - no good for americans Razz

Edit Again: I really should read but then again its 2:30am Confused If you want second hand bikes have a look at Yahoo! Auctions Japan. I have a mate here in Aus who swears by it, works for an importer and uses me from time to time to translate questions and answers regarding cars. If he can spend $15k and get a car sent from Japan I think a little 2nd hand $2k motorbike domestically would be fine. Plus with 7 years of being in japan under your belt i can guess you have a nice network of people who can help and the language ability to be able to arrange something. Have a look, I'm already drooling at the thought of the fun I'll have next year Very Happy https://search1.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/search/auc?p=CBR250RR&auccat=26316&alocale=0jp&acc=jp
A fair few nice ZZR's on there as well, worth a look. Dont forget that most 250cc bikes are really 249cc to get around not paying shaken, which at second thought is prolly a fairly useless bit of information.... anyhow, goodluck! I'm going to sleep...

CBRPETER
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 10:29 - 30 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah a CBR250RR is a damn good bike, it goes pretty hard for a 4 stroke 250 but you will soon grow out of what power it does provide, and the WOW factor will where off quickly. Alternatively a 2 stroke 250 like a RGV 250 goes twice as hard but requires twice the care. I imagine Japanese bikes would be quite cheap in Japan would they not?

Sacarius
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 11:47 - 30 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are posts here to find with detailed info on 400's. If you want to know about a cbr250 send a msg to m1ke, for a rgv250 ask DaFrostyOne or m1ke. To be honest for a first bike a cbr250 would be ideal, sounds like an f1 car and gets to 100mph fast enough.
The way your heart sounds makes all the difference. It's what decides if you'll endure the pain that we all feel. The way your heart beats makes all the difference in learning to live. Spread before you is your soul. So forever hold the dreams within our hearts. Through nature's inflexible grace I'm learning to live.

Maaku
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 12:40 - 30 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All,

Thanks for the links Ewok85. I’d been scanning the web at this site that lists used bikes for sale through dealers:

https://goobike.com/

The one you recommended is way cheaper and might be the way to go. After I factor in a helmet, some other gear and insurance along with the lessons it’s going to get a bit pricy for a bike I’m planning not to be using in a year or so. I’ll look into them and see what ends up being a better deal while I’m trying to get the license. If I’m comfortable with bikes I’ll upgrade in about a year. Used bikes are pretty cheap here but it all depends on the model and the demand. I’ve actually seen some shops trying to sell hardly used bikes (like only a few hundred km on them) for more than a new one. Bizarre stuff over here.

Oh, I forgot to mention I’m from Belfast, N.I. originally but grew up in Canada mostly. I’ve never had a bike license which is why I’m gonna need lessons for a bit. I’m also thinking it’ll be kind of a fun experience to be (probably) the only non-Japanese student in the class. It’ll be like a bad movie about some idiot exchange student, except they’ll all be laughing at me when the instructor shouts one thing and I misinterpret it and end up running over a cardboard cut-out of a primary school student with a Hello Kitty bicycle or something. I kind of feel sorry for the poor teacher who ends up with me because he/she’ll be so nervous about communicating that I’m sure it’ll be the most stressful few weeks (yes, it takes a while) of their lives. Even though I can speak well enough to get through most things, people here just aren’t used to rephrasing things or explaining when people don’t get it the first time – makes for some fun. By the way, I live in Kyoto which has about 1.5 million people crammed into a space the size of, well, just imagine the population density and traffic being a whole lot more than where you are now – think along the lines of a fish bowl instead of an aquarium and you’ll get the idea.

And yeah, I’ve driven here in a car on an Int’l license so I know how bad it is when you say their driving is “absolutely shocking.” It’s just too bad there’s no connection to riding over a beam and actually being on the road otherwise they’d all be great. Red lights, driving on the correct side of the road, staying off the pavement and stop lines all seem to be taken as suggestions but not real rules here. I ride my bicycle on the streets so I’m pretty well used to the lame driving and endless blind corners. I just assume somebody’s about to hit me at any given intersection. I tried to get my license changed over by showing them my British passport but they caught on to the fact that my license was from Canada and told me I’d probably fail at least 5 or 6 times. Even though it’s a lot cheaper than lessons I would’ve have to have my license re-translated every time I wanted to take the test and make my way out to the licensing centre and I just couldn’t be bothered with all that.

So the bike sounds like an F1 car. Perfect. My moron neighbours have a very young dog they like to put out at 7:30 a.m. and it yaps at anything walking past. With it being less than 15 feet from my house, I don’t get many sleep-ins. I’ll get my revenge at last. I was actually thinking of buying a dog whistle but the bike might just do the trick well enough.

Cheers,

Maaku

Sacarius
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 12:53 - 30 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's 19k revs they go up to so I'm sure you will beat the doggy. Smile
The way your heart sounds makes all the difference. It's what decides if you'll endure the pain that we all feel. The way your heart beats makes all the difference in learning to live. Spread before you is your soul. So forever hold the dreams within our hearts. Through nature's inflexible grace I'm learning to live.

Ewok85
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 07:35 - 31 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark, get a 2 stroke, that will really shut the dog up Very Happy

The driving conditions in Kyoto are a bit better than Tokyo, the grid pattern wide streets is alot easier the the sprawling one way hell that is Tokyo. I didnt do a whole lot of driving myself (mainly country/offroad/freeway) but a fair bit of navigating which was just as bad. A bike is a good way for someone in your situation to get about in - although the excellent public transport almost negates even needing a bike Razz

Keep us informed of how you go! Love to hear what sort of antics you get up to with getting your licence. Just remember - when in trouble, deny all knowledge of the Japanese language Twisted Evil

Maaku
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 08:27 - 31 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ewok85 wrote:
Keep us informed of how you go! Love to hear what sort of antics you get up to with getting your licence. Just remember - when in trouble, deny all knowledge of the Japanese language Twisted Evil

Laughing Yeah, I'll let you know what happens. I'm planning to go to a driving school and register on Tuesday - should be a good laugh. You're right that I don't need a bike for the city - I can get across town in 40 minutes on my bicycle, but I want to get out of town and need something fun to do. Oh, and I've got the denial of knowledge drill down, confused facial expressions and all.

The hardest part is definately going to be reading the test and any manuals they hand me. Should be some fun times ahead.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 183 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1