Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Megavalanche 2014 [planning WAY ahead]- anyone?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum
View previous topic : View next topic  

Simple
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:55 - 01 Oct 2012    Post subject: Megavalanche 2014 [planning WAY ahead]- anyone? Reply with quote

https://www.avalanchecup.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXouqBu3BYA

I went two years ago and rode the course on my hard tail and decided i would build a bike an return. Whilst building my fitness up in 2011 I tripped over a dog whilst packing the car to go downhill riding in Wales and dislocated my knee, once that was fixed I tried again and dislocated two ribs near Christmas. So i still have the bike. I could get the fitness in time. I just need peeps to go with. Any takers?

Alp du huez during 'Mega week' is a happening place to be and if i wasn't fit to race i'd consider going just to ride the trails, enjoy the atmosphere and watch more grown men cry while they wait for an expensive helicopter flight.

Discuss/

Last edited by Simple on 23:30 - 03 Oct 2012; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Simple
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:40 - 01 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was me thinking this was a forum of thousands of adrenalin seeking, rufty tufty bikers...

No takers?

KLR600
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:36 - 01 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't mind a crack at the Mega but I wouldn't go to properly race it! It'd be cool to just ride the track with a million other people falling around the place.

Saying that, I'd like to just go to France on a riding holiday full stop. Same old usual drivel of not being able to afford it though Crying or Very sad

Simple
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:42 - 01 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

KLR600 wrote:
I wouldn't mind a crack at the Mega but I wouldn't go to properly race it! It'd be cool to just ride the track with a million other people falling around the place.

Saying that, I'd like to just go to France on a riding holiday full stop. Same old usual drivel of not being able to afford it though Crying or Very sad

fuel for car share, ferry, accom, extreme sports insurance, money for food and drink. My week 2 years ago cost £250, but a friend was driving over near there on business so i tagged along and then we had a jolly too.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 19:23 - 01 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possibly, though seriously need to up my dirt-game; as think I mentioned somewhere, sucked on that event I did the other weekend - still faster than others on the 'technical' bits but that's not saying much.

Wouldn't really know until closer to the time.

If I did do it, of course have a 6 seat van with space for bikes on top or large lorry Smile.

KLR600
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:31 - 01 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simple wrote:
fuel for car share, ferry, accom, extreme sports insurance, money for food and drink. My week 2 years ago cost £250, but a friend was driving over near there on business so i tagged along and then we had a jolly too.

+ Full service and upgrade package for my DH bike as it's currently crankless, the rear wheel is about 8 years old and won't last much longer and the bars and stem are even older and who trusts a pair of handlebars that have been subjected to 10 years worth of hard abuse (this mong, that's who Laughing ).

+ Some kind of armour as I currently ride in just a helmet and gloves but I don't fancy my chances in the Alps let alone on the Mega without some kind of decent protection for when I inevitably stack big time.

+ Lift pass.

+ Spares as I'm not paying inflated bike park prices for an inner tube or a pair of brake pads.

My bikes are always old and haggard and cobbled together and is the main reason I've never been on a proper riding holiday. I never trust it'll last longer than a day then I've wasted a load of money on a riding holiday with no bike to ride as I wouldn't be able to afford to hire a bike over there either!

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 21:12 - 01 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

KLR600 wrote:

+ Some kind of armour as I currently ride in just a helmet and gloves but I don't fancy my chances in the Alps let alone on the Mega without some kind of decent protection for when I inevitably stack big time.

Regardless of this, I've got a few sets of motorbike upper-body armour (including arms); you're welcome to borrow a set.
I'm 5'11" and reasonably well built; but they're pretty adjustable with flexible mesh and straps. (And one makes you look especially like a storm trooper Smile ).

Korn
Admin

PostPosted: 08:27 - 02 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea of something like this, if only I had a decent downhill bike... but that can be fixed next May when my current cycle2work bike gets paid off and I can get another.

Thinking

Simple
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:45 - 02 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should I change the title to Mega 2014?

My 'rig' has cost to date £800 and i'd consider it reliable. My kit £160.

KLR600
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:55 - 02 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:

Regardless of this, I've got a few sets of motorbike upper-body armour (including arms); you're welcome to borrow a set.
I'm 5'11" and reasonably well built; but they're pretty adjustable with flexible mesh and straps. (And one makes you look especially like a storm trooper Smile ).

Ah cool thanks, can I borrow your bike as well please? Laughing Laughing

Simple wrote:
My 'rig' has cost to date £800 and i'd consider it reliable. My kit £160.

My DH bike cost a total of £210 and my Identiti is a load of old parts I had lying around on a mates frame that he's not using so he said I could use it when I had my last jump bike stolen. I'm in a position to potentially earn a load of money before the end of the year though so I may treat myself to some kind of AM/Enduro bike if I can save enough.

WannaBeDude
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:12 - 02 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a tandem and im there. Cool Thumbs Up

james1988
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:06 - 03 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good! 2013 would be a bit soon for me though. Got a shed load of other stuff I need to pay for first unfortunately.

tyke13
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:47 - 23 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did the mega last year... was really mental, the qualifier was probably the most intense race I've done, the actual mega was fun with lots of sliding in the snow Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

drzsta
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:00 - 24 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simple I'm deffo up for this mate!
Funnily enough me and my buddy were on about in work this week.

What is your current ride?

I think I'm gonna hit it with an 160mm enduro. should handle it no probs - cant see the point of 180 travel and shit climbing ability for my only ride.

latwelve
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 16:21 - 25 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be doing it - only a few hours drive for me so not so epic. my mate came 5th on a hardtail in the runners up race which is pretty impressive... hoping to beat his time.

Aff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:12 - 30 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much does it cost to do?

I've always wanted to do it, but always assumed that you had to be competing to ride it. Can anyone just pay to give it a go?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 151 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1