Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

My Racing Plans for Next Year

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Jon

PostPosted: 18:39 - 17 Sep 2002    Post subject: My Racing Plans for Next Year Reply with quote

I've decided to give racing a go because its what i've always wanted to do, but money is a big issue, so this is what i'm doing.........

Buying a damaged or stolen and recovered NSR125, taking everything off which is not needed, fixing race fairing (£170), and a race exhaust and maybe race tyres.

Then every month I'll be going to different tracks (mainly track-days) and learn to race! Mainly for fun but see if I'm good enough or enjoy enough to get into it seriously!

OK, it's not a Honda RS125, but this is all I can afford, and most people say this is the best thing to do.......... what do you lot think?
You must be logged in to rate posts

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 18:43 - 17 Sep 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

i say if you want to race it then go for a TZR or RG, either 125 or 250. when i worked at brands hatch a few people had RG125s or TZR250s whizzing round, plus you have more chance of getting an ex- race one to save you cash and time.

JimboJ
Manc Pikey

PostPosted: 18:45 - 17 Sep 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

get an ex-race bike, save you time and money, before you do all this had you better not see if you can race first?? hire a bike and try it? this will save you the heartache later if you dont like thrashing a bike round corners at high speeds
[00:42] <NSR-Andy> which one's the missionary position
[00:42] <NSR-Andy> i've heard it's good
[9:42pm] <Shaun> you came first mike | <Shaun> yes gav, because I really want to fuck you
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Jon

PostPosted: 18:48 - 17 Sep 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, but I want an NSR because of reliability and I'm not keen on an ex-race because the cost of parts, unless you want to pay for me! Laughing Laughing
This would be to see if I like racing, any good at it, and saves me from getting a few grand loan from the bank!

JimboJ
Manc Pikey

PostPosted: 18:50 - 17 Sep 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

get a few sponsors to give you money, say your doing it for charity, or indeed do it for charity
[9:42pm] <Shaun> you came first mike | <Shaun> yes gav, because I really want to fuck you
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Jon

PostPosted: 18:50 - 17 Sep 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

can't hire a bike and race as I don't have a full licence Sad
Most places only let you use their bikes if you have a full licence and a couple year experience!

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 18:56 - 17 Sep 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think most of the tracks in the uk, at least those owned by octagon (brands, cadwell etc) wont let you on without a full road licence.

and i didn't see any NSRs on the track. its just too heavy AFAIK, compared to the TZR/RG

JimboJ
Manc Pikey

PostPosted: 19:19 - 17 Sep 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

like he said, they WONT let you near a track without a full licence, for example the trip to skeness and use of cadwell is only availiable to those with a full licence. its just sensible

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 19:56 - 17 Sep 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

First thing to decide is what class you are going to race in. The 125 production classes would probably be the best for the NSR, but it would be murdered by the Mito and RS (and they both had models with larger carbs, and the production based classes would not allow you to change the carb). By the time you have prepared it for racing then the reliabilty is more down to how you maintain it, and dont expect the NSR to be any different to the RS.

If you want to go for the race bike classes then look at a 2nd hand Honda RS125. They have been making them for 15 years so.

There are also some classes for older race bikes which should be cheaper

All the best

Keith

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 20:14 - 17 Sep 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my friends used to race in the MZ race series:

https://www.bmzrc.org.uk/

They race the old 250cc MZs, so it costs bugger all to buy and pretty much all the work to the bike can be done by yourself because they're so simple.
Allthough they probably only have a similar performance to an NSR, you will be racing against similar bikes so it's not so bad.

I would expect it's a lot cheaper than racing 125s, though any racing *will* be expensive Sad. If I can sort it out in a year or two I'd definatley consider giving it a go. If you are *really* talented last year's winner went on to race a GSXR1000 in the powerbikes championship (or something similar)

Scooby
Scrappy Doo

PostPosted: 20:42 - 17 Sep 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a mate called Richard Cooper who races. He started off racing go karts, then as he got older moved onto motocross. He then raced his dad's CB500, and did very well, then went into 600cc superstock class. His mum and dad lent him the money to buy a bog standard CBR600, of which he got a discount for displaying the dealers name on it. He got 6th or 7th racing privately that year, then the dealer (Pidcocks) actually sponsored him, and if I am right he finished 2nd overall, only losing out marginally to a lad called Ben Wilson who also raced a CBR6.

He now races a factory BMW. He gets flown here there and everywhere and earns a lot of money. The actual bike he races is a BMW R1150S thingy or whatever they're called. Come to think of it, he won his last race in the wet, he's got an article on it in last months T.W.O.

My point is, to get into racing you need to be for a start an excellent rider, and then you need a lot of cash. Over one season racing privately, he spent £2000 on tyres alone. Ok, this might be cheaper for an NSR, or other 125 race bike, but you'll also be talking a lot of rebuilds.

An example of a good rider is this... my mate was on an RS125, and although he came past Cooperman on the straights, Coop on his C90 ran rings around him on roundabouts, and twisties.

I know another lad called Tony who races a Fireblade, but I won't go on about him... he's not as good as Coop... he stacked his old R6 into the gravel at Cadwell 2 weeks ago... Rolling Eyes

Jon

PostPosted: 18:25 - 18 Sep 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replys. All I really want to do is race for fun for a year or so and see if I want to take it any further. Not sure what I'm going to do yet due to money Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
Does anyone know if there are championships etc. for standard 600 Hornets or something?

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie

PostPosted: 18:29 - 18 Sep 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure bout the hornets but there is a cb500 cup.

Scooby
Scrappy Doo

PostPosted: 18:32 - 18 Sep 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the CB500 cup is what Coop raced in.

Jon

PostPosted: 18:39 - 18 Sep 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might take my test in March, do a couple a track days, if all goes well, I'll take a look at CB500 racing.
Cheers for the help Scoobysnacks + the others!

Scooby
Scrappy Doo

PostPosted: 18:43 - 18 Sep 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

NP dude Smile

Scooby
Scrappy Doo

PostPosted: 18:44 - 18 Sep 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

NP dude Smile
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 21 years, 223 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1