Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Small cruisers?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

THCi
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 02:48 - 25 Oct 2004    Post subject: Small cruisers? Reply with quote

Hi,

Ive currently got a Gz 125 Marauder, I love it. Been on other bikes, sports bikes and the like. But I find my GZ the comfiest of the lot.

Can anyone point out anything that isnt stupidly large that can be restricted to 33bhp and is a cruiser?

Thanks,

THCi.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

instigator
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:52 - 25 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamaha Virago 535

Great reputation, good build quality and was very very popular. Plenty about and they don't hold their value very well at all so you can pick some up for about £1300 or less. Good thing is, ones at these prices have low mileages on them as they're only used on sunny days Smile

You can also get some very loud pipes for them. Very Happy

Hope that helps

mchaggis
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:12 - 25 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always thought the Virago had the image of a hair dresser's bike, a bit like the MX-5? You know, a bit soft and camp, not good for those who aren't secure with their manliness. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

pipnet11
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 11:22 - 25 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look at https://www.bikepics.com/pictures/208982/

Kawasaki EL250. I was looking at these before i got my enfield. No idea what the availability of these are or how easy it is to get parts.

Phill
I love the girls that do, I hate the girls that dont, I hate the girls who say they will and then they say they wont, but the girl I like most of all and I think youll say Im right, is the girl who says she never has but looks as though she might. - Max Bygraves
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

bath of kylies
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 13:31 - 25 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can second the suggestion of a 535 Thumbs Up

Go for an earlier one (as long as it's not rusted to f*ck) as they had less sissy bars, screens, padded seats etc.

Black was the best colour.

Try properly before you buy though, as the front brake is a bit of a joke - depends on your riding style.

Best thing about them is once you've got your confidence you can scrape the pegs everywhere...

...and you look like the Fonz Very Happy

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 14:04 - 25 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing wrong with the Virago VX535.
Only issue you may have is bits, so look into it.
Mention this as friend did a service recently and went to Hein Gericke for oil (the deal where you get oil & both filters together).
Oil filter discontinued, plugs discontinued. Air filter OK as believe same as Dragstar model(s).

Tyre choice for the 535 is very limited. Front is imperial size, rear is metric.

Other than that it's ok, very dependable.
I find it too low and cramped but horses for courses and all that Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

steveh
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:24 - 25 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

o0o me gots a marauder too Very Happy fun to ride wat years yours?

Steve

TheShaggyDA
Repost Police

PostPosted: 16:48 - 25 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suzuki Savage, if you like big singles:-

https://motorcycles.about.com/library/graphics/04suzls650k4.jpg

[i:6e3bfc7581]But still I fear and still I dare not laugh at the madman...[/i:6e3bfc7581]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

THCi
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 19:09 - 30 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

steveh wrote:
o0o me gots a marauder too Very Happy fun to ride wat years yours?

Steve

BU04 is the start of the reg. Its a GZ125-K4, so 2004, I'd guess. Id take a pic, but, its been raining.. and I _dont_ do 'dry miles'! Any suggestion as to getting the headlight brighter, steveh?

Thanks for the suggestion, mind you my 'rents might be generous for my 19th. Ive been looking at the drag star, looks like a lovely beast, anybody got any idea of the birghtness of the headlamp (dipped and main)?

Im gonna keep the GZ until atleast spring. I know Im gonna loose a load of money due to the age of the bike by then, but never mind.

bath of kylies > I scrape the pegs on mine now, even though my tyres are still in the semi worn in stage. I litterally CANNOT get the chicken strip off my tyres as the pegs are a wee bit low. I might take some sand paper to el chicken stip.

Oh, and summit else. Any suggestions for removing shoe rubber from lovely chrome pipes?

mchaggis
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:17 - 30 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

THCi wrote:

Oh, and summit else. Any suggestions for removing shoe rubber from lovely chrome pipes?

Chrome polish and elbow grease. Thumbs Up I have a mini cruiser of sorts, here's a non-dented and scraped version.

https://i20.ebayimg.com/01/i/02/01/19/3f_3.JPG
Slow and heavy (heavy for a 125), but as comfortable as an armchair. Twin exhausts too, IMO it sounds lovely for a 125. You'll have trouble getting the parts which aren't generic to the Honda CG though. (eg a 12V15W single filament bulb Rolling Eyes )

Edit: just had an amusing thought. The motorcycle policeman who removed my bike from the road (me having crashed it and been carted off to hospital) asked me it what capacity it was. He thought it was 150 or 175 or something. That was despite it wearing L plates, and he being a police rider who should know what he's talking about.. Rolling Eyes

yambabe
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:28 - 31 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can second the EL250. I love mine! They are 27bhp standard. Mine will cruise all day on the motorway at 70-75 (fit a little nose-screen though cos of the wind) and will overtake at an indicated 95, which is the most I have had out of it so far but it wasn't flat out. It also does about 100 miles to a tank of juice - about £6.

Engine parts are very easy to come by as they are the same as the GPX, so there's quite a lot about.

Body parts are a bit harder, although a lot of the bits off the ZL400 and ZL600 (the bigger eliminators) will fit straight on. However, if anyone spots any sidepanels or a front mudguard on their travels..... Wink

Yamaha also do a 250 Virago as well as the 535, or you could liik at an SR250.

My personal favorite 33bhp-legal "cruiser"? This one........

yambabe
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:04 - 31 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

And if you've never seen an EL250, this is mine!

mchaggis
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:16 - 31 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a nice bike, Babyyam. Thumbs Up I'm not sure about the dustbin they put on for an exhaust though, it must be a bit loud... Very Happy

THCi
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 18:11 - 01 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been looking round, dunno now what Im more interested in. Cruisers, or Nekid bikes.

I really like the look of the Bandit. Any one with any experience of how well they restrict to 33bhp, or, if they even will?

instigator
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:57 - 01 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Course they'll restrict !!! Someone on another board restricted theres for something like £50 so I heard, and parts are just about everywhere!!!

Highly recommended

THCi
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 22:41 - 01 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, Now all Ive gotta do is pass my test, and go and buy me a bandit for my 19th! Smile

(March for those who want to contribute to the Help THCi buy a Bandit campain! Wink)

THCi
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 23:20 - 01 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Ive done some research, including visiting ClickQuote, just done a few quotes, Unfaired Bandit with 1yrs NCB £1,450 TPFT-Only! and a Yam FZ6 £2,680.

Wonder how many times Id have to sell my body at 50p to afford that?! Rolling Eyes

instigator
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:35 - 01 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're to phone one company, let it be CIA INSURANCE.........phone them up, and tell them that your cheapest quote is ROUGHLY what you can afford. Dont let them that this is what you want, tell them that "insert company name here" offered you it. Dont be ridiculously low, be reasonable.

Once they quote you, then ask "is that your best offer".....Its always worth a try.

I've got an er5, its going to be £500 TPFT, NO NCB, just passed my RESTRICTED test.

The bandit is 2 groups higher thn the er5 I believe Smile

THCi
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 23:58 - 01 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about the "motoring organisations" they always ask you about? Whats that all about?

Mind you, I was doing it as if Its gonna be buying it now. So, chances are Its gonna be cheaper for me when I do actually get the bike anyways. But if its gonna be that steep Ill stick with my GZ.

steveh
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:30 - 02 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

THCi, sorry havnt been on in a while, err 1 question, why do you need the headlight brighter? its bloody bright, u onabout mid beam? or high? mine are fine, is your battery charged fully?

currently after some crash bars for mine so if u hear of any give us a shout.
I took the the back seat off it looks waaaaaaaay better, i dont take pillions so i took it off, try it Razz
oh and what have u had out of yours? with hout a tailwind down hill that is Razz

Frost
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:07 - 02 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

THCi wrote:
What about the "motoring organisations" they always ask you about? Whats that all about?

Things like BMF generally. If you don't know about them then its not worth bothering with, the membership fee is far more than you will save on insurance! Razz

motorcycle direct are good for insurance.

THCi
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 12:52 - 02 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steveh > I ride through the country side everyday. I do 25 miles to get to work. High beam is pretty dark, and the battery is fine.

The most Ive had out of her is about 65, that was down hill reached 60, pull in the clutch and wind added about another 5. That was when we had some high winds not to long back.

So, how did you cover the holes where the nuts go through the plastic bits?

Frosty > Not worth it then, really is it.

THCi
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 13:01 - 02 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, Steveh, you can get sissy bars from Suzuki's site.

If its a K2-4 that is.

Other bits

the wind screen looks promising. Smile

steveh
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:11 - 02 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

hah flyscreens are noisy on cruisers, all the sound seems to bounce of get louder Razz

oh ment to ask, how much u get yours for (trying not to be rude)
got mine of a lady owner, wich was actually true as i knew her.
Got it for 1300 down from 1800, i love it, doing my test soon and getting a 400 maybe, not to sure yet.
Would like crash bars/ freeway bars for mine, make it look like theres more to it at the front end Razz

Steve.

THCi
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 21:17 - 02 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

£2,600 Brand new (cant tell now! Laughing ) With 12 months tax, 12 months insurance, 10% off my gear (had a helmut, gloves and a jacket ~£45 saving Smile) and a free CBT.

Wish I hadnt plumped for all that first time round though. Would have more money to spend on my post-test bike. Ah well, you Live and Learn I suppose.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 182 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1