Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

bike to ride to work

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum
View previous topic : View next topic  

jackzR
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 01:58 - 24 Nov 2012    Post subject: bike to ride to work Reply with quote

Wanting to get a bike to cycle to work but can't decide on what to get was looking at hybrids so far thinking.. I don't know much about the specs...

Boardman Comp

https://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_777843_langId_-1_categoryId_165534

Camera Gryphon

https://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_810613_langId_-1_categoryId_165534

and my local bike shop recommended this

Merida Cross Cyclo 10 & 20

https://www.merida-bikes.com/en_gb/bike/2013/187/Cross_Cyclo+Cross/Crossway+10

https://www.merida-bikes.com/en_gb/bike/2013/180/Cross_Cyclo+Cross/Crossway+20

thanks

D O G
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:05 - 24 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are planning to ride on the road only, I'd go for the Boardman - it weighs a kilo less than the Carrera, has better equipment, and would be easier to upgrade bits (thinking about the aluminium forks which might be a bit harsh).

No point for front suspension on the road, IMO.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 14:19 - 24 Nov 2012    Post subject: Re: bike to ride to work Reply with quote

If it's just for the road (and very light trails) with the focus on speed - I'd go for the boardman too, presuming budget isn't a big issue.

Old Git Racing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:03 - 24 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of those the Boardman every time, lighter and faster, better spec. I have a Boardman (not that one) and can't fault it for quality and ride.

OGR

defblade
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:02 - 24 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're riding on the road, get a road bike. Drop handlebars will give you a variety of positions (drops for downhill, brakelever hoods for flat and top of bars for up hill) which is very useful on road, althoguh adding risers to flat bars will do similar. You'll also want mudguards and probably a rack for panniers/bag as riding with a rucsac on gets old real quick.

An audax bike fits commuting perfectly, and is capable of handling lightweight touring/camping too if you fancy a go.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:09 - 24 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's appropriate will depend a lot on how far you're going and how many hills there are.

There's a lot to be said for a traditional Dutch style bike in terms of comfort while riding and minimal service intervals but they tend to be a bit heavier and have fewer gears. High handlebars, upright riding position, luggage racks, mudguards, coaster brakes, chain guard so you don't get oil on your work trousers etc etc.

jackzR
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 23:20 - 26 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be cycling 14 miles

what do you think about this bike? hydraulic disks upgrade from the boardman same price... but I don't know about the weight..

https://www.drakescycles.co.uk/m1b100s18p2877/CANNONDALE_Bad_Boy_Fatty_Rigid_6_%28Deore_M591%29_2012

cheaper version

https://www.drakescycles.co.uk/m1b100s18p2876/CANNONDALE_Bad_Boy_Fatty_Rigid_9_%28Alivio%29_2012

does anyone know any good insurance companys?

herulach
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:30 - 26 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need discs or flats. A decent audax bike (this or similar https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/bbd/road-track-bike/ribble-7005-audax-winter-training?part=BB12RIB7005AUDAXWINT&sub=conf_BBRW&bike=1) + rack and bags will be loads better, and much less likely to get nicked (bent barz iz for fags innit blud)

I commuted on a roadified mtb for 2 years, wish I'd just got a road bike instead.

AndyB1989
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 05:56 - 27 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi there ,

I work in a friendly local bike shop and ill offer you some advice based on what ive seen.

The boardman bikes often look like a fantastic spec for the money but for them to put a better spec out for a lower price something has to give and unfortunately it seems to be frame quality, now i wouldnt just sit here and slag it off because its a halfords bike because i have nothing to gain but i have had 3 customers who have broken boardman frames one of them who has broken three in the last six months.

I would suggest Possibly the scott metrix 40 at £549 for what you want to do when compared to the similarly specced giant escape or merida speeder the scott is considerably lighter

if you are a slightly more experienced rider i would go for the giant rapid but try and get a free tyre upgrade to atleast a continental gator skin if not a 700x25 shwalbe marathon plus (almost completely puncture proof)

another good "speed commuter" is the marin fairfax but it is a bit less competetive price wise.

jackzR
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 09:56 - 27 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyB1989 wrote:
hi there ,

I work in a friendly local bike shop and ill offer you some advice based on what ive seen.

The boardman bikes often look like a fantastic spec for the money but for them to put a better spec out for a lower price something has to give and unfortunately it seems to be frame quality, now i wouldnt just sit here and slag it off because its a halfords bike because i have nothing to gain but i have had 3 customers who have broken boardman frames one of them who has broken three in the last six months.

I would suggest Possibly the scott metrix 40 at £549 for what you want to do when compared to the similarly specced giant escape or merida speeder the scott is considerably lighter

if you are a slightly more experienced rider i would go for the giant rapid but try and get a free tyre upgrade to atleast a continental gator skin if not a 700x25 shwalbe marathon plus (almost completely puncture proof)

another good "speed commuter" is the marin fairfax but it is a bit less competetive price wise.

Thank you for your reply

I'm interested in this

https://www.ashcycles.com/site/giant-rapid-3-2012-15percent-worth-of-free-goods?zenid=4cf5912fac31272f59538bbeb61728be

How would I manage to blag a free tire upgrade get them to keep the old ones?

AndyB1989
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 10:23 - 27 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

i doubt you will with an online retailer its the kind of thing you could get from a LBS but that is a good deal to be fair. as you have said yourself though you are a novice and you often get better service from a local bike shop it might pay to have a look around locally or at shops close to where you work there may be some shops with last years (2012) stock left who could do you a good deal just the peace of mind of having everything set up for you and somewhere to take it back to with questions as well as problems.

jackzR
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 10:30 - 27 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyB1989 wrote:
i doubt you will with an online retailer its the kind of thing you could get from a LBS but that is a good deal to be fair. as you have said yourself though you are a novice and you often get better service from a local bike shop it might pay to have a look around locally or at shops close to where you work there may be some shops with last years (2012) stock left who could do you a good deal just the peace of mind of having everything set up for you and somewhere to take it back to with questions as well as problems.

Thanks also to note you can get the Scott for £349.99

https://www.drakescycles.co.uk/m1b66s18p3077/SCOTT_Metrix_40_2012/RS_GB/12605

not sure on the look though

AndyB1989
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 10:50 - 27 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

jackzR wrote:

Thanks also to note you can get the Scott for £349.99

https://www.drakescycles.co.uk/m1b66s18p3077/SCOTT_Metrix_40_2012/RS_GB/12605

not sure on the look though

look at the 2013 bike and you will see why i reccomended it its a much more subdued colour scheme
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 125 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1