Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

maxxis high roller super tacky????

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum
View previous topic : View next topic  

steven_191
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 21:29 - 19 Oct 2012    Post subject: maxxis high roller super tacky???? Reply with quote

I have a pair of fairly chunky Michelin off road tires. I dont think they're anything special though.

Ive just gone from a hardtail to a scott genius mc50. so more front suspension travel and rear suspension.
I put those same tires on the scott and off road I had a LOT more sliding around on the front. so Im thinking of one of these on the front to try it out as I dont have a problem with the back and also would rather save £30 if i dont need to spend it (for the back).

basically would like some opinions. I have been doing a bit of reading and they seem to be one of the most popular and also actually worthwhile. sound like they'll bit good all round but i would mostly used them on dry off road condition. but might be out in some wet too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

KLR600
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:51 - 19 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check your tyre pressures before you go blowing loads of money on new tyres. No point spending £30 on a tyre if you're going to run it at 50psi.

Dropping a few psi will improve grip assuming you're not already running them really low but may make you more prone to punctures.

High Rollers get good reviews everywhere though so definitely a good tyre, I have a Minion DH on the front of my DH bike that grips well and I have some Maxxis tyres on my car that seem to be ok Laughing

steven_191
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 21:58 - 19 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

car ones wont do me any good lol

I saw the minion ones but for some reason that ive already forgotten i thought the high roller would be better suited.

I went out the other day and had about 35-40psi. on the hardtail i would really push it and get a bit of slide on the front wheel but it was very easy to keep on top off but on the scott it seem to go suddenly from ok to YOUR GOING TO DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!! and that wasnt even fast lol

to be honest i have a feeling i need to better get to grips with the front/rear suspension set up. before i just set the front to what felt comfortable and it worked well. theres more dynamics now that at the minute im not really up on so it could just as well be a bad set up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

KLR600
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:08 - 19 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minions are more DH specific and are a bit heavier I'd imagine so probably not as better suited to all round riding.

Full suspension bikes are a bit of a headache to set up if you're new to them, definitely worth getting your suspension set up properly by a suspension expert. TF Tuned get rave reviews from everyone all the time so may be worth checking out:

https://www.tftunedshox.com/

And if you have Fox suspension then Mojo are the people you need to speak to:

https://www.mojo.co.uk/mtb.html

Getting suspension properly set up isn't cheap but it can totally transform your bike, well worth doing.

steven_191
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 22:19 - 19 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

the trouble with the scott is its like no normal shock. it has a positive and negative air chamber and there doesnt seem to be any information on how they work together. theres also a rebound adjustment so im not sure if it effects that.

every now and then i have a look around the net but dont get much. the tech manuals basically say follow the pressure guide for your weight.

as for setting up the rebound adjustment. do you do it just by feel when your out riding? if so what do you feel for?
and the front shock has travel adjustment which also changes the height which then changes the geometry and the weight position on the bike. that seems like another thing that would need to be considered.

KLR600
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:31 - 19 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah those Scott shocks were always weird in my opinion. You'd be best off taking it to a Scott dealer and asking them their advice on setting it up, failing that I'd still give TF Tuned a call as they know their stuff when it comes to suspension.

I think rebound is personal preference. Personally I like quite a slow rebound, if it's set too high you end up getting bucked all over the show which obviously isn't great.

I wouldn't over think it too much. If you can tell a noticeable difference in frame geometry by dropping the travel on your forks by 20mm then you should probably be working as a frame developer of some kind. I'm of the old school of mountain biking which is sort of just throw whatever parts you have on and ride it until it you get used to it Laughing I'm probably not the best person to talk to about the finer points of setting a bike up thinking about it...

steven_191
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 19:23 - 20 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing ill ignore everything you say from now on then

one thing I have noticed on this bike compared to the hard tail is that I get that feeling that the front wheel is going under the bike while steering alot sooner. I dont know if you understand what I mean by that. but it does feel a lot better off road than on road

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 11:07 - 22 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

There nothing wrong with your bike or tyres you are just using it as and excuse as to why you didn't drop down that hill. Wink

KLR600
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:53 - 22 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
There nothing wrong with your bike or tyres you are just using it as and excuse as to why you didn't drop down that hill. Wink

If there's one thing I've learned since I started mountain biking years ago it's that you should *always* have a comprehensive list of excuses ready should you be too scared to ride something Laughing

steven_191
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 19:19 - 26 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wasn't fear. At first at least. It was more that before I'd started going down the hill I was already out of control haha

AndyB1989
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 18:13 - 29 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

the scott genius shocks are good but as the tech manual says really stick to the reccomended pressures for your weight unless doing that feels really shit. as for rebound adjustment depends really on what sort of riding you are doing as a general rule the bigger the jumps and drops the slower you want the rebound to stop you getting buckarooed.

the washing out easier that you are experiencing with the new bike will most likely be due to a slacker head angle usually found on bikes with more suspension travel and you will find that as the trail gets steeper it feels much better then your old hardtail.

steven_191
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 19:13 - 30 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah im getting a bit more used to it now. Blasting through the trail is nice on it.

I got the tyre in the end. 2.5 for the front. Feels loads better. Considering something for the rear now for more drive traction but thats not too important
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 147 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1