Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What's the deal with pedals on a new bike.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum
View previous topic : View next topic  

flat spot
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:35 - 12 Oct 2012    Post subject: What's the deal with pedals on a new bike. Reply with quote

Righto I've waited for the 2013 bikes to come out and thinking of getting a Canyon Nerve AL6.0. It was going to be a Specialized camber comp but for the specs the canyon beats it.

However, regardless of what bike I choose and how much I pay, why the hell don't you get pedals with them?

I looked at millions of pedals and there doesn't seem a great deal difference even though prices vary greatly. Please educate me on pedals.

Cheers FS.

sagalout
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 18:44 - 12 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because there are so many types and people usually pick their own system then take pedals with them when changing bikes. Bike shops will usually chuck on some cheap nylon flats if you ask them.

As for what to get, it's personal preference really. I use Look Keos and wouldn't change as they are on all my bikes so I'd need separate shoes etc.

Shimano SPD are useful if you want shoes you can walk in as the least are recessed, other than that just pick a system!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

jackw72
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:23 - 08 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is effectively just another thing that they can charge you for, although I agree it is like a car coming without operating pedals, steering wheel and tyres!!! haha.

You can get the basics from £60 which I have Shimano SPD's not sure if you are familiar with these but they attach you to the bike and take a week to get used to.

You can also spend £100's if you are of a persuasion that cares about how light the bike is, carbon fibritis.

Try all the shoes on and see which fits you best I think they vary also in width and ting just like other shoes.

Karma Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 11:28 - 08 Nov 2012    Post subject: Re: What's the deal with pedals on a new bike. Reply with quote

You tend to get pedals at the cheaper end.

At the more expensive end, it's not unreasonable for them to expect you to already have a set of clippy (or clipless, as they're confusingly called) pedals already, so no point them supplying some that don't match your cleats/shoes etc.

herulach
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:37 - 08 Nov 2012    Post subject: Re: What's the deal with pedals on a new bike. Reply with quote

G wrote:
You tend to get pedals at the cheaper end.

At the more expensive end, it's not unreasonable for them to expect you to already have a set of clippy (or clipless, as they're confusingly called) pedals already, so no point them supplying some that don't match your cleats/shoes etc.

This, but also every bike I've ever bought has come with crap plastic ones even if it shouldn't have come with anything. Clips and decent shoes are pretty expensive though. I have eggbeaters on the roady bike and candys on the mountain bike. If you don't want to go backward and forward you'll get a stiffer platform from road specific ones though.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 00:17 - 09 Nov 2012    Post subject: Re: What's the deal with pedals on a new bike. Reply with quote

I actually got eggbeaters on my GT Avalanche pro, though got some V12s added in with the bike to work scheme.

Horrible gripless flat pedals on the Globe Vienna, but it is rather a 'town' bike. The scourer came with some ok and quite light fairly grippy pedals - will be stuck on the Vienna if I do keep the SPDs on the Scourer.

TheBikerStig
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 07:53 - 13 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you buy some pedals, hold the part that screws into the crank and spin them. If the pedal rotates freely then fine. If it doesnt or the bearings feels notchy then its cheap crap. Just a heads up.

As others have said there are many types. I have repeatedly been recommended pedals that lock onto your feet as theres considerable performance gains. As much as I like speed, I really aint gonna stick myself to something that has the potential to fall over.
Some say that he is the sole survivor of Atlantis, and that he refused to speed test a new Hayabusa this morning simply because there was no milk for his Brexit. All we know is hes called TheBikerStig.

AndyB1989
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 09:47 - 13 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheBikerStig wrote:
When you buy some pedals, hold the part that screws into the crank and spin them. If the pedal rotates freely then fine. If it doesnt or the bearings feels notchy then its cheap crap. Just a heads up.

just a little heads up on that advice a brand new sealed bearing pedal will not spin freely if you hold the axle and spin the body it will feel tight and smooth almost like its been lubricated with golden syrup if you want grippy flat pedals ou cannot go too far wrong with a dmr v12 they come in loads of colours and have pretty good length pins on them. also worth looking at the new shimano saint pedals we have had good reviews on them. straighline pedals are also a bit lush but quite pricey.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 108 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1