Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

New parts Tested at the weekend. Two thumbs fresh!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum
View previous topic : View next topic  

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 13:34 - 28 Jan 2013    Post subject: New parts Tested at the weekend. Two thumbs fresh! Reply with quote

I took my mountain bike over Thorndon Country park, It's a decent park with some good downhill sections.

I was trying out some new parts on my bike that I'd fitted in the week.

DMR V12 Magnesium, RRP - £69.99 Price paid £42.99

I wanted a new set of pedal for a while, the V12's got a good write up and I Like the idea of the replacement grub screws. My old pedals had the griper bits worn the bearings were notchy and I kept slipping off them. I was looking at a standard pair of V12s, however I found a new pair of mags for £39.99 +p&p on eBay. Only downside they were a manky colour.

https://www.pedal-pedal.co.uk/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/1500x2000/040ec09b1e35df139433887a97daa66f/d/m/dmr_v12_ox_pedals_enhanced100003.jpg

Oh well, I thought, they'll spend most of there time brown anyway!

Michelin Country Mud Tyres, RRP £13.99 - Price Paid £8.99 (each)

When I decided to get out more on my MTB the first thing I did was buy new tyres, my existing knoblies looked more like hybrids! I bought Michelin Country Trail, mainly because they were a brand I recognised and there where cheap, the blurb said there where good all rounders which was just what I was after, they were fine for the first few rides then winter came and all the trails turned into a muddy bog. These trail tyres might as well been slicks the amount of grip I had I had to be really careful on hard I pedalled other wise the wheel would just spin. I thought I'd go for the Country muds because they had a good write up and again they were cheap!

When they arrived I was sceptical I think I was expecting tyres like the AC10's on my KTM. These looked marginally different from my Trail tyres

https://www.bicycletires.com/imagesLarge/mictm1-1.jpg

VS

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Images/Models/Original/78380.jpg

In short I was blown away by both of these products, Thorndon was muddy as you'd expect this time of year, had I good blast round doing a bit of everything and the extra grip from both these products was far more than I expected. The tyres barely slipped at all and were a revelation compared to the trails. I really didn't think they would make such a difference especially as they don't look that different to the trail tyres. Before the lack of grip was a real problem and was annoying me, this ride I barely noticed. They'll be staying on till everything dries.

The pedals too were good, as for a difference between the standard and the magnesium V12's are probably minimal so minimal I doubt I would notice, but when the cost of the mags was only a few quid more I thought I might as well, for some added tart factor. Some might think £40 is excessive for pedals but I see these as an investment, you can buy any replacement parts that you need and I reckon I'll have these for years. Again much better than what the replaced and I only came off the pedals a couple of times. I felt a lot more planted on the downhill stuff as before I was often bouncing off the pedals. With these anytime I wanted to adjust my footing I had to lift my foot off the pedal and replant it down, it was impossible to slide my feet. Only downside, when you smash you shin in to the pedal, it hurts a lot more. Laughing

hazza
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:16 - 01 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whats the weight like on those Michelin tyres Chris? are they fold-able or wire bead? I'm after a new set of tyres for my GT avalanche but dont want to spend the earth.
3 Honda NC50's(Sold)-->'72 Puch Maxi S (Sold, want it back!)--> '90 Yamaha RXS 100 (Stolen)--> '87 Honda Cub 90(Sold) --> '95 Kawasaki Eliminator (Sold) --> '98 Bandit 600 (Sold) -->'07 SV650S (Current)

chris-red

PostPosted: 13:24 - 01 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

hazza wrote:
Whats the weight like on those Michelin tyres Chris? are they fold-able or wire bead? I'm after a new set of tyres for my GT avalanche but dont want to spend the earth.

These are non folding and chain reaction says they weight 590g.

If you mostly ride mud ATM these are great, I am planning on changing back to the trails (which are a folding tyre) when everything dries up.

hazza
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:33 - 01 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive got a set of Schwalbe Smart Sams on at the minute that are looking a bit tired. Its not had any use since the start of summer as I have been mega busy doing a bare brick renovation to my house. Now it's done ive stripped the bike and serviced it, brought some new wheels and need some rubber!

Im expecting cannock to be a mudbath so these look like just the ticket!

What bike do you ride?
3 Honda NC50's(Sold)-->'72 Puch Maxi S (Sold, want it back!)--> '90 Yamaha RXS 100 (Stolen)--> '87 Honda Cub 90(Sold) --> '95 Kawasaki Eliminator (Sold) --> '98 Bandit 600 (Sold) -->'07 SV650S (Current)

chris-red

PostPosted: 14:14 - 01 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

hazza wrote:
Ive got a set of Schwalbe Smart Sams on at the minute that are looking a bit tired. Its not had any use since the start of summer as I have been mega busy doing a bare brick renovation to my house. Now it's done ive stripped the bike and serviced it, brought some new wheels and need some rubber!

Im expecting cannock to be a mudbath so these look like just the ticket!

What bike do you ride?

It's a 2004 Hard Rock Pro, although over than the Frame and the wheels I don't think anything else is original.

XT deraillers
RockShoxx Recon Silver
Deore LX Hydraulic Brakes.

I'll have to get a picture. I'm toying with the idea of building a 29er based around one of those chinky carbon fibre frames, they actually get a decent write up.

hazza
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:19 - 01 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had wondered if those frames were much cop.

Ive done the same with my GT, only thing i haven't changed is the front mech and the seat post!

chris-red

PostPosted: 14:41 - 01 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

hazza wrote:
I had wondered if those frames were much cop.

Ive done the same with my GT, only thing i haven't changed is the front mech and the seat post!

I just ordered a new seatpost off Chain reaction. They are having a huge sale. Thumbs Up

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:13 - 01 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are your thought's on SPD pedals for a mountain bike used for pretty much 80-90% off road riding?

I've got Shitty looking std pedals on my Giant Talon0, and they are by far the most cheap and nasty looking part on the bike. I've thought about getting some SPD's and MTB shoes, but have only ever used SPD's on road bikes, and i'm more worried that they would break or get fucked up in the dirt/mud more than anything really?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 22:35 - 01 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you possibly explain the benefits of spending £40 on those pedals? What advantages do they offer? I don't MTB, but they don't look like they would add anything?!

Genuine question BTW.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

D O G
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:11 - 01 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be nice if you could get tyres for £9 for road bike tho! Maybe it just balances out...

Al
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:35 - 01 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
What are your thought's on SPD pedals for a mountain bike used for pretty much 80-90% off road riding?

I use SPD pedals on my mountain bike for X-country riding, They are flats on one side and clipless on the other in cases I want to ride to the shop or something in normal trainers.

I prefer them over flats though you can't slip off them on rough ground and they are better for climbing up hills. I have mine set very loose so that you can normally pull your feet out pretty easily if things go tits up.
They take a bit of getting used to but it's more of a confidence thing. I've had no issues with mud clogging them up although they got wet and froze the other week when it had snowed and was -9.

Don't try and practice manuals with them locked in Embarassed Laughing

D O G wrote:
Be nice if you could get tyres for £9 for road bike tho! Maybe it just balances out...

Not sure what other costs there are on a road bike but my suspension is supposed to be serviced every 15 hours of use which would be about once a month!

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 23:39 - 01 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

V12 pedals are awesome.

The sealed bearings will last years and are easy to replace when necessary. The replaceable pins can be upgraded to DMR Terror Pins if you want to destroy the soles of your shoes even faster.

KLR600
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:49 - 02 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't stand being clipped in. I tried it a few times on XC rides and just did not gel with it at all. Flats for me all day long. Pair of DMR V8's (because I'm too cheap for V12's Laughing ) and skate shoes and you're away, I've never had any problems with grip or slipping pedals with that combo.

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 09:08 - 02 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

D O G wrote:

Well, you can to be fair. Schwallbe Luganos used to be fairly cheap and actually rolled better than my Continental Gatorskins, but not quite so puncture resistant. Used to be able to pick them up for about £8 a tyre.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.

chris-red

PostPosted: 16:13 - 04 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

JonB wrote:
Could you possibly explain the benefits of spending £40 on those pedals? What advantages do they offer? I don't MTB, but they don't look like they would add anything?!

Genuine question BTW.

They offer much better grip that what I had previously. On my Old pedals once the bike was a bit muddy my feet would often slip of the pedals, this is annoying at best and painful at worst. The bears in my old pedals where shot anyway, so I went for the upgrade.

All the parts are replaceable too, there will probably be no reason for me to need to buy a set ever again.

+1 on not being able to be clipped in the number off times I would be lying sidewards in a muddy ditch stuck to a bike every week if I did. Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 55 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1