Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Chain and gears shifting like shitaki mushrooms.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum
View previous topic : View next topic  

jackw72
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:14 - 04 Feb 2013    Post subject: Chain and gears shifting like shitaki mushrooms. Reply with quote

Hi all,

Got a road bike and it shifts like a dog struggles to get into gear sometimes and when it does its left with a sound that makes me believe the gears and drive train and shizney need a bit of maintenance. A few weeks before I cleaned up all the teeth on the sprocket or something and did a bit of cleaning on the chain with chain cleaner n relubed it up but to no avail.

I bought a new chain for it a while ago just wondering if anyone thinks its worth paying Evans 50 dollar for a check up or if anyone could advise how to check the life cycle of these parts is over? Or for a more thorough clean I've had the bike for a year and covered about 300 miles without changing anything.

Thanks,

Jackapotamus
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 17:23 - 04 Feb 2013    Post subject: Re: Chain and gears shifting like shitaki mushrooms. Reply with quote

What do the cogs look like? if the cassette is worn it won't shift right.

It could just be that you need to adjust the derailleurs. Don't pay Evans £50 take it to your LBS and pay £20 for a gear service, or look up how to do it online and DIY.

jackw72
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:53 - 04 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

They look a bit worn pointy but kinda rounded and yes, worn. I don't know what I look for so much see.

I had a little play with the dérailleurs and didn't notice anything much will shoot it down the LBS when I'm wealthier and see what is crackalacking.

Chiaz.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red

PostPosted: 18:43 - 04 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

A new Cassette should be under £20 online. Probably more from the LBS. I wouldn't ride it with the shagged cassette and new chain, otherwise the chain will wear to the old cassette. Thumbs Up

If it is a shimano cassette it is dead easy to replace, you'll need a chain whip and a locking tool. You could get away with just using your old chain and a vice too.

Where are you based maybe someone local could help.

Cyclingbiker
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 19:53 - 04 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fiddle with the adjuster on the back of the derailleur where the cable enters. It could just be that the gear indexing isn't set up right and each click stop on the gear shifter doesn't match up with a cog on the cassette, it will try and skip between two cogs making a clattering sound as it does. Make sure you don't go too far so the chain skips over the top when you shift up into the largest cog as that can be very bad, especially at speed Shocked

Mod 1 - Passed - 12/11/12 --- Mod 2 - Passed - 26/11/12

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:04 - 04 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a chain tool. Take the chain off and hold it in your hand, sideways on, at about waist height pointing paralell to the ground. If the other end of the chain is touching the ground, it is gubbed and you need a new one.

As has been said, a new casette is not expensive or difficult to do at the same time.

If you have a vernier calliper, measure the length of 10 links from pin to pin. Up to 255mm the chain is fine. Over 255mm and the chain needs replacing. Over 257mm and both the chain and casette need replacing.

cagiva gezzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:29 - 05 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

12 links = 12 inches on a new chain. If you've fitted a new chain to a worn cassette it won't shift well at all.

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 07:52 - 05 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheapest and first port of call should be rear derailleur adjustment. Sounds like a bit of playing with barrel adjuster is needed.

How many miles has the cassette done? You'll know if its worn if the new chain is slipping whenever you put the hammer down.

Tip for the future. When you buy a new cassette don't put an old chain on it. Buy 3 chains at once and rotate them every 1,000 miles. You'll make the cassette last a lot longer.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.

AndyB1989
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 09:54 - 05 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

as has been said cheapest and first port of call is simply front / rear mech adjustment

Where is it that you get shifting problems is it the front or the back ?

you say when it does shift you are left with a sound that makes you think it neds some maintenance and you also said you have covered around 300 miles.

I would not expect 300 miles to wear out drivetrain components it is more likely you have got cable stretch which is the kind of thing a lbs would normally sort on a 4-6 week check had you purchased the new bike from them.

if you can tell us where exactly the problem is with the changing i can probably talk you through the adjustment needed but whatever you do dont start by fiddling with the stop screws on the front and rear mechs or it will make your life difficult

jackw72
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:34 - 05 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Front or back? Literally don't know how I would tell excuse the noobiness. How would I be able to tell?

Its like a cyclic grinding noise that tends to happen on 2nd cog just below the top gear if that helps?

I have only put 300 on it but it is second hand and probably has about 500-600 in total possibly more no way to tell but no more than a thou.

AndyB1989
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 13:11 - 05 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

so you dont know if the shifting problem is the front or rear gears ?

heres a hint ...... if you change the front and it doesnt change properly thats where the problem is

if you change the rear and it doesnt change properly then the problem is probably at the rear ......

seriously ?

could you post of the make and model of the bike so we can see what shifters you are using.

chris-red

PostPosted: 13:28 - 05 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

jackw72 wrote:
Front or back? Literally don't know how I would tell excuse the noobiness. How would I be able to tell?

Its like a cyclic grinding noise that tends to happen on 2nd cog just below the top gear if that helps?

I have only put 300 on it but it is second hand and probably has about 500-600 in total possibly more no way to tell but no more than a thou.

Take it to a shop, if you honestly can look at it and tell what mech is causing the issue you will likely fuck something up trying to sort it.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 54 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1