Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Northern Ireland Car Insurance

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 00:52 - 20 Sep 2002    Post subject: Northern Ireland Car Insurance Reply with quote

Hi

My little sister will shortly be 17 and we are trying to get some insurance quotes for her. Living in NI the quotes are a tad high (I remember when I was 17 the NI rates were about 4 times the mainland rates).

Any suggestions on companies that will do a good deal on young drivers in NI for car insurance?

All the best

Keith

Screaming Skull
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 09:05 - 20 Sep 2002    Post subject: car insurance Reply with quote

Have you tried Abbey. They always seem to do good deals

Doesn't matter how well you do, as long as you look good!!!

NSRboi
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 09:29 - 20 Sep 2002    Post subject: Insurance Reply with quote

No matter where you try, you will always be thrashed because of her age.

Here in the North of Ireland we only have one insurance company (Red Star Equity) which insures motorcycles, so they can charge what they like. Cars are no better because the courts over here pay out the most in compensation that in the UK mainland.

I heard that Hughes & Company are good 028 91 810081. Also for gurls, try Diamond 0800 362436.

Best always to shop around. Because of her age, shes better getting an old banger for the first couple of years before getting a decent car then the premiums may be cheaper.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 12:23 - 20 Sep 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Thanks for those 2 numbers. What is the number for the Abbey?

When I lived there the only company that would do bike insurance in NI was Pearl, but they gave up doing bike insurance in about 1991 (which meant I got full car no claims bonus out of them having had a car licence for a year). When I moved to the mainland (rather too many years ago) my insurance on a 100cc bike when from £150 to £50 (roughly).

I agree that she is best off getting a fairly cheap car. Used to be almost worth buying a new car to get the first years insurance free with it.

Oh, by the way, NI has double the accident rate of the mainland which is part of the reason for the higher insurance (down side of having few motorways and lots of A roads). The reason for the high compensation payments was that years ago they were decided by a jury. Now the payment is decided by a judge but they have still kept up with the high payouts.

All the best

Keith
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 13:32 - 20 Sep 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Oh well, Diamond will not quote until she is 17. We might try again and pretend just to get a quote

The idea is that a neighbour is selling a Nova SR which was a possiblity for her. However Hughes & Co said that the insurance would be about £5000 third party only, with any car being at least £3000 third party only. That compares with the (approx) £900 the current owner had to pay when he had just passed his test for TPFT.

All the best

Keith
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Demonic69
The Pink Rhino

PostPosted: 13:36 - 20 Sep 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about insuring on the mainland? You're allowed to drive in Ireland then aren't you??

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 20:14 - 20 Sep 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Insuring on the mainland is possible, but whether they believed she lived here when she goes to college in Belfast and has a broad Ulster accent I dont know Rolling Eyes

All thebest

Keith

Phoenix
Twisted Firestarter

PostPosted: 20:50 - 20 Sep 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

what about getting it insured in someone else's name and putting her down as 2nd driver?

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 20:58 - 20 Sep 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

They are wise to that scam, and as my dad has a few "toy" cars I doubt they would believe he wanted to drive something little and cheap to insure

All thebest

Keith

Demonic69
The Pink Rhino

PostPosted: 08:48 - 23 Sep 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about insuring under your name and adding her as a named driver? You live over here right??

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 21:02 - 23 Sep 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Demonic69 wrote:
What about insuring under your name and adding her as a named driver? You live over here right??

It is possible, but again insuring it on the mainland and driving in NI would basically make the insurance useless except for getting road tax. When it comes to claim time all it needs is the insurance co to ask to see the ferry ticket over and we would be right up the creek

All the best

Keith

TiN
Pocket Tin

PostPosted: 21:29 - 23 Sep 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

It also means that you will technically be the owner of the car, Keith...although I'm not sure if that should pose as a problem to you...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 21 years, 212 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1