Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What have you done to your bike today? Archive.

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 407, 408, 409  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:22 - 24 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fitted new tyres to the R100RS and reconnected the connector block I knocked loose when I fitted the new battery. The rear lights now work again. Win.
The Triumph wouldn't start. Coughed and fired and then refused to play ball. Bastard bastard bastard.

Sable
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:23 - 24 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the bike snowed on. Went home sooner than intended. waited for it to stop snowing. Gave it an oil change, changed spark, tightened chain, quick clean, went to check valves and got snowed on again. That can wait until next week. Sad

Craig_H_94
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 20:26 - 24 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gave it a bloody good clean followed by a good service:
Oil + filter, coolant, brake fluid, checked plugs and air filter, pretty much everything apart from valve clearances which are overdue but I don't have time and refuse to pay someone to do it, the bikes only got 17k on it so chances are they should be fine as most hornets don't need shimming till around 60k Shocked

First ever post by the way although I have been lingering around here for months

Sable
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:36 - 24 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome too BCF Craig!

bikertomm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:40 - 24 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig_H_94 wrote:
Gave it a bloody good clean followed by a good service:
Oil + filter, coolant, brake fluid, checked plugs and air filter, pretty much everything apart from valve clearances which are overdue but I don't have time and refuse to pay someone to do it, the bikes only got 17k on it so chances are they should be fine as most hornets don't need shimming till around 60k Shocked

First ever post by the way although I have been lingering around here for months

Just made a thread on hornets..

How do you find yours restricted? Is it still good fun? Mine will be too.

Cheers Thumbs Up

AlexW
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 20:47 - 24 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Decided to get to work rebuilding the calipers after the bike has sat with the brakes seized on solid for about 2 months.

Got 3 pistons out, fourth is stuck solid, Given up, going to take it to my mate tomorrow.

stonesie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:54 - 24 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rebuilt the rear caliper, polished the rearsets, put them back on and put the fairings on.

Rob1970
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 21:36 - 24 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fitted a set of engine bars to my CBF600 - it was -1 in my garage but the fact they didn't fit without a lot of swearing meant I kept warm!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Craig_H_94
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 21:56 - 24 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

bikertomm wrote:
Some Stuff

Boring.
Pulls okay in the lower gears and is quick enough to 60/70 but from there it has nothing, pulls to 7k then just makes more noise, gets going again from 10k but its best to just short shift unless you ring it's neck in the lower gears.
If your moving up from a 125 it will feel very quick as it did to me although after a year and a half of riding my bike daily and 1000+ miles a month it's pretty boring now, although that's because I have ridden plenty of full power bikes and now treat the throttle as an on off switch when I am playing on a nice road, commuting you will not even realise it is restricted.
Motorway cruising it will sit at 90 in the biggest headwind uphill with a pillion all day long, top speed I have seen 115 once on a long downhill but 100-105 appears regularly.
Overtakes at 60 in NSL are fine but do need to be well throughout.
You will love it, mines a 2009 so has a reworked motor and totally different chassis but still they are similar and I've ridden an old model, take it easy and if your starting to really push don't forget to use your body positioning correctly as pegs can grind relatively easy (with 'hero blobs')

bikertomm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:02 - 24 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig_H_94 wrote:
bikertomm wrote:
Some Stuff

Boring.
Pulls okay in the lower gears and is quick enough to 60/70 but from there it has nothing, pulls to 7k then just makes more noise, gets going again from 10k but its best to just short shift unless you ring it's neck in the lower gears.
If your moving up from a 125 it will feel very quick as it did to me although after a year and a half of riding my bike daily and 1000+ miles a month it's pretty boring now, although that's because I have risen plenty of full power bikes and now treat the throttle as an on off switch when I am playing on a nice road, commuting you will not even realise it is restricted.
Motorway cruising it will sit at 90 in the biggest headwind uphill with a pillion all day long, top speed I have seen 115 once on a long downhill but 100-105 appears regularly.
Overtakes at 60 in NSL are fine but do need to be well throughout.
You will love it, mines a 2009 so has a reworked motor and totally different chassis but still they are similar and I've ridden an old model, take it easy and if your starting to really push don't forget to use your body positioning correctly as pegs can grind relatively easy (with 'hero blobs')

Wow, exactly what I wanted to know, thanks!

I will be coming from a 125, and I'm looking at an 07 model now, awesome Thumbs Up

/thread hijack!

Tristan.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:08 - 24 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I purchased it, took it to bits and put it in a Nissan Micra. My other bikes where all ignored.

Spamalittle
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:52 - 24 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a go at tidying up the front caliper. Mostly cleaned up ok - brake pads are fine but the pistons have loads of rust marks on em. Didn't want to scrub 'em to hard or use any cleaners as I thought I might damage the seals/pistons. Reckon I might just stump up for new pistons unless anyone has any good ideas? Sad

https://i.imgur.com/CptP35i.jpg

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 23:19 - 24 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spamalittle wrote:
Had a go at tidying up the front caliper. Mostly cleaned up ok - brake pads are fine but the pistons have loads of rust marks on em. Didn't want to scrub 'em to hard or use any cleaners as I thought I might damage the seals/pistons. Reckon I might just stump up for new pistons unless anyone has any good ideas? Sad

https://i.imgur.com/CptP35i.jpg

Bit of green plastic pan scourer dipped in brake fluid will shift those rust spots.

Scrubbing them can't damage the seals unless you're scrubbing the seals themselves. Raised rusty bits are more likely to damage the seals than polished off bits where the rust used to be.

The gold colour is a titanium nitride coating. It's tough as fuck but it's already damaged where the rust is showing through.

You can't damage titanium nitride with a plastic pot scourer. It is ten times harder than steel. You probably couldn't even mark it by rubbing with wire wool (but it's a very thin layer so you could potentially chip or scrape it off by damaging the metal underneath).

I've seen, used and rebuilt callipers with WAY rustier pistons than that. I've never actually seen a piston seal leak on a brake calliper. I've seen the piston stick in the seal and bind the brake on but never leak. And I mean right up to the point where a set of brake pads had totally worn away, including the backing plate leaving the piston pushing against the disc. The brake didn't actually fail until it had worn all the way through the crown of the piston and it popped out past the seals.

Benno
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:26 - 24 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got back from exercise, peeked into the garage to make sure it was still there and nobody had touched it, then drove home to Devon. I'm tired and the weather is SHITE Evil or Very Mad

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:46 - 24 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decided it was too cold to start messing around with the thermostat housing on the gpz, so tried to fire up the zxr.... after deciding the battery is totally fucked I switched it then flooded the engine (2 plugs with petrol almost dripping off them).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Spamalittle
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 00:03 - 25 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

Bit of green plastic pan scourer dipped in brake fluid will shift those rust spots.

Scrubbing them can't damage the seals unless you're scrubbing the seals themselves. Raised rusty bits are more likely to damage the seals than polished off bits where the rust used to be.

Thanks mate Thumbs Up

Will have at them with a scourer.

stinkwheel wrote:
And I mean right up to the point where a set of brake pads had totally worn away, including the backing plate leaving the piston pushing against the disc. The brake didn't actually fail until it had worn all the way through the crown of the piston and it popped out past the seals.

Shocked Shocked

bladerunner
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:45 - 25 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Changed the gearbox oil on the kdx200 as it was white and took 20 mins to drain 700cc as it is 0 degrees C! Fitted an mx knobblie on the back as the trials spec mt43 does not like thick mud....oh and charged the battery on the 929 as it died in 3 weeks of non use and I'll be riding it tomorrow !

Jersum
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 01:40 - 25 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benno wrote:
Got back from exercise, peeked into the garage to make sure it was still there and nobody had touched it, then drove home to Devon. I'm tired and the weather is SHITE Evil or Very Mad

The weather is always bad in Devon! Laughing

And I fixed one of my indicators, one of the wires had come off the bulb holding bit making it so it didn't blink.

Managed to flatten my battery by forgetting to turn the ignition off too. Rolling Eyes

TheSmiler
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:33 - 25 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went out bashed the seat with my hand to knock the ice that had frozen on it, then started her up and turned her around ready for the ride tomorrow.

Main roads are now clear around here just the side streets, can't be bothered with busses.

StevRS
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 11:11 - 25 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Washed the 125 ready for trade-in. Bit of Autosol on the shiny bits and some oil on the chain. Popped the front caliper off and freed it up (not too bad as I rinsed it off before it went away last March).

It started about third try after being parked up for almost 12 months and not started or on charge for the last 6 of those. I was astounded. I expected it to cost me at least a battery.

Musketeer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:49 - 25 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fitted a chavvy racing wannabe brake reservoir sock from ebay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121080948483

So what? Wink Laughing

Irn-Bru
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:52 - 25 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it's from America it'll take ages to arrive and RM will bum rape you in charges Razz

Supermoto_Fan
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:56 - 25 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your wrong. Bought one from the same seller last month, arrived in 2 weeks at no extra postage costs or any headaches Thumbs Up

Musketeer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:57 - 25 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I've got it already.. it took 7 days to arrive. Paid for postage about 4 quid, but I didn't fancy those socks with heat pressed logos from UK based sellers.

DrDonnyBrago
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:08 - 25 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to the market and bought some large, dry aged sirloin steaks (which were fooking lovely I might add).

Afterwards an Asda van tried to murder me, then I got cold and went home.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 5 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 407, 408, 409  Next
Page 2 of 409