Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Contactless credit card? You're fucking joking me right?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Joncrete Cungle
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:53 - 03 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Herp Derpington goes to a new bar on Saturday afternoon and gets drunk and looses his wallet with contactless payment card in it. Derp Herpington finds the wallet misplaced by the now drunken Herp Derpington and spots the contactless payment card.

Derp Herpington isn't quite as daft as Herp Derpington so as he strides up to the bar he orders drinks for himself and his mates, that come to less than £20 a round. Each time Derp Herpington waves the wallet containing the contactless payment card belonging to Herp Derpington in front of the new contactless chip and pin terminal, he gets a round of drinks for him and his mates.

Late Sunday morning Herp wakes up with a hangover and can't find his wallet. He checks his online banking and finds out that a load of contactless payments have gone out of his account. However Herp never uses the contactless payment system and took out £70 cash for the session.

So who gets hit with the losses? Herp Derpington, the bank or the bar? Someone has a shit sandwich to chomp on, but who? Chip and pin (imho) did nothing other than shift the likelihood of the shit sandwich eating on to Herp Derpington and away from the bank. I can't see any meaningful benefits for the mugs who have contactless payment foisted upon them. Only an eventual tweak of account T & C shifting the onus to prove fraudulent misuse on to Herp Derpington and a disinterested police force even further.

cagiva gezzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:28 - 03 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFAIK you will randomly be asked to enter your pin number every so many transactions.

gusgorman
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 09:49 - 04 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

cagiva gezzer wrote:
AFAIK you will randomly be asked to enter your pin number every so many transactions.

Yes that is true. But that is not good enough for me. I don't want to use contactless, therefore I don't want the security vulnerability added to my card.

My bank have effectively added a new way that people can steal from me.

Yes I can claim it back if I notice any fraud on my account - but I'd rather it just didn't happen in the first place, and the onus is on me to check for the fraud which I don't like.

natefz6
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 17:07 - 04 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the theory is that for small transactions which you do often you will not need to put in your pin, newsagent, lunch at supermarket etc. thus there will be less chance of somebody pick pocketing you and using your PIN which they have viewed to withdraw large sums of money or make a large purchase.

If you make multiple contact-less purchases in a day you will be more likely to be asked your pin and mine has stopped working and required the chip to be scanned before now after a couple of purchases with it in one day.

Depending on your spending habits this could be a good or a bad thing for you and I think that they should give people the choice to have it or not. Personally I use it a fair bit to buy my lunch and stuff its quick and easy.

gusgorman
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 17:19 - 04 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

nategs500 wrote:
I think the theory is that for small transactions which you do often you will not need to put in your pin, newsagent, lunch at supermarket etc. thus there will be less chance of somebody pick pocketing you and using your PIN which they have viewed to withdraw large sums of money or make a large purchase.

Someone may have come up with this theory to justify it, but it wasn't the reason contactless was invented.

Contactless was invented by visa/mastercard to try to get people to use their system instead of cash. They forced it on the banks, and the banks in turn and now forcing it on customers.

LockyUK
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 11:52 - 05 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have only read the original couple of posts, it is 20 pound per day (if you notice an unusual transaction or lose your card, barclays will refund you) it probably does work through very thin surfaces at a push, and it does not "take a few seconds" it takes a split second and done, i think it is also a way of barclays sending out less replacement cards, eg you are more likely to look after it if some cunt could buy shit without your pin! (even tho barclays cover you fro theft)

gusgorman
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 11:52 - 05 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

nategs500 wrote:

Depending on your spending habits this could be a good or a bad thing for you and I think that they should give people the choice to have it or not. Personally I use it a fair bit to buy my lunch and stuff its quick and easy.

ps - yes I forgot to say I agree with this. If you like using contactless then fair enough, you'll no doubt accept the extra security vulnerability on your card because you benefit from having it.

On the other hand if you don't want to use it then your bank should give you the choice to opt out.

LockyUK
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 11:53 - 05 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

cagiva gezzer wrote:

20 quid a day i thought that was the only limit not per transactions and such ?

gusgorman
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 12:00 - 05 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

PeteLockwood wrote:
i have only read the original couple of posts, it is 20 pound per day (if you notice an unusual transaction or lose your card, barclays will refund you) it probably does work through very thin surfaces at a push, and it does not "take a few seconds" it takes a split second and done,

Its not 20 pounds per day, its 20 pounds per transaction, 3 transactions per day.

And yes Barclays will refund you, but it is the same with any other fraud, the onus is on you to notice it and report it.

PeteLockwood wrote:

i think it is also a way of barclays sending out less replacement cards, eg you are more likely to look after it if some cunt could buy shit without your pin! (even tho barclays cover you fro theft)

Very Happy Very Happy

Quote Me Happy

PostPosted: 07:45 - 18 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-22545804

Nick 50
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:57 - 18 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

mistergixer wrote:
I would suggest reading up on the technology before you bother drilling holes in your credit card.

Banks really like it when people steal their money, that's why they're giving out these cards.

Rolling Eyes

Pinky, if you're really that paranoid, you'd be better off wrapping it in tinfoil - it's typically as effective (if not more so) than the wallets.

Thumbs Up

Ginger spectacle bloke begs to differ:

https://youtu.be/X034R3yzDhw

On a side a note. I now have a NFC enabled phone. I wonder how long before hackers develop a program which enables NFC phones to read these cards??

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:39 - 18 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe wrote:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-22545804

<so it begins.jpg>

One thunk crossed my mind: chuggers are essentially professional liars and thieves already: what's to stop them carrying portable terminals and gabbling "If you do not un-refuse to dis-accept the re-reversal of non-payment, cluck like a chicken", then picking £20 straight out of your pocket?

open
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 10:20 - 20 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it handy (although I got a new HSBC card this year and it didnt have it, even though my friend did Thinking )

In London you can use them as an Oystercard on buses (not on trains though). It's handy coz you still only pay the oyster card rate.

Also every so often it will ask for a pin - so if you loose your card they can't do multiple transactions to clear your account.

[s]Baotian BT49qt-9 --> Honda CG125 (4 speed) '51 plate ----- 03/11/2012 Mod 2 PASSED! --> Cb500s[/s] Revoked Sad
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 10 years, 314 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2