BCF: Bike Chat Forums

cg oil

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

ts50x0
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 19:20 - 24 Nov 2004    Post subject: cg oil Reply with quote

if someone has a haynes manual for a cg can they tell me please how much oil i need to fill it up from empty,
ive heard it was half a litre, is this correct.
cheers
sam
p.s. ive orderd a manual it just hasnt come yet,
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

pipnet11
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 19:53 - 24 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

half a litre sounds SERIOUSLY small. from totaly empty my GS took 1200ml and 850ml if you hadnt taken the filter off or anthing. Id wait till you got the manual though because its unlikely to be the same. Could pour it in slowly till it gets to the right height on the level window
I love the girls that do, I hate the girls that dont, I hate the girls who say they will and then they say they wont, but the girl I like most of all and I think youll say Im right, is the girl who says she never has but looks as though she might. - Max Bygraves
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mchaggis
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:59 - 24 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

A minimum of 0.9 litres will get to the bottom of the dipstick. 1.5 litres will get to the top, and perhaps slightly past the top of the hatched area in the dipstick. Hence I normally put in about 1.3 litres.

ts50x0
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 20:28 - 24 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive just done it and i put 1 litre straight in and it was way too much, had to take out about 0,2 or 0,3 litres, wonder whats going on there. its still slightly over the top of the dipstick. dont want to take more out as that seems not to be enough oil. what deos your manual say?

mchaggis
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:36 - 24 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

ts50x0 wrote:
ive just done it and i put 1 litre straight in and it was way too much, had to take out about 0,2 or 0,3 litres, wonder whats going on there. its still slightly over the top of the dipstick. dont want to take more out as that seems not to be enough oil. what deos your manual say?

Well, the thing is, my engine isn't neccesarily the same as all CG engines, as it's not the same bike, though it is the same basic engine design. My manual tells me to put in at least 0.9, and then it gets just to the bottom of the dipstick.

Embarassed My bad. Sorry if I led you down the garden path without thinking. I'd go and have a look at the Haynes manual for the CG I do regularly seem to be fixing, but it's at home and I'm not.

According to this, the oil capacity is 1.1 litres.

ts50x0
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 20:45 - 24 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats for the brand new desighn though. mines 1987 model,

mchaggis
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:53 - 24 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

ts50x0 wrote:

Sorry I can't help you then, without the manual which I don't have access to. Just putting 0.8 litres or so in would make sense to me. Run the engine for a minute or two so the oil gets round all the galleries and things, then check the dipstick as normal. Add or remove if there isn't enough or is too much.

ts50x0
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 21:12 - 24 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

just worked out that i put in exactly 0.8 litres, seems to be ok, im sure that 0.8 litres is enough anyway. at least untill my manual arrives and i orderd it the toher day so.
thanks for you help anyway mate,
sam

pipnet11
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 21:29 - 24 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

You mean they changed it??? thought they were machanicaly unchanged from when they started. The GS is almost unchanged. Only difference was the old cylinder heads used to eat valve guides for some reason. sorted in about '84 or something and only the electric starter has changed since. Would be surprised if the CG is much different.
I love the girls that do, I hate the girls that dont, I hate the girls who say they will and then they say they wont, but the girl I like most of all and I think youll say Im right, is the girl who says she never has but looks as though she might. - Max Bygraves

ts50x0
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 21:45 - 24 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes theyve brought out a new bike for 2004. still the same basic desighn but has some more HP and a new shape. must be something different. they didnt change the engine up untill 2003 but then theyve brought out that new cg along with the cbr125.

Retro-Man
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 21:52 - 24 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

ts50x0 wrote:
yes theyve brought out a new bike for 2004. still the same basic desighn but has some more HP and a new shape. must be something different. they didnt change the engine up untill 2003 but then theyve brought out that new cg along with the cbr125.

your right mate

there are all sorts of minor tweaks to the cg dating from right back when it started, the new model is quite technically different. differences can be subtle as in minor carb changes or cyl head measurements.

Cheers
Retro

pipnet11
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 22:19 - 24 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shows how much I pay attention Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 158 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1