Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

First proper bike, no idea about them.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum
View previous topic : View next topic  

Misc
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:37 - 23 Apr 2013    Post subject: First proper bike, no idea about them. Reply with quote

They say you never forget how to ride, I somehow did. That said, I want to take up off road biking through woods/off road. I wanted something to replace my motorbike during summer.

Last bike owned was a bmx back in the late 90s. I have no idea where to start. Ideally I'd want to spend less than £350, ideally less if I
Won't be taking advantage of certain features.

I'm 6ft quite long legs so any ideas?

I'm in maidstone if anyone wants to show me the ropes.

Chris

marsden1967
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 00:41 - 24 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should go down to your local independent bike shop, tell them what you want and ask for their advice. They are usually very knowledgable ,enthusiastic and will be keen to help you. Also, most independents sell second hand/reconditioned bikes. Stay away from Halfords.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 01:40 - 24 Apr 2013    Post subject: Re: First proper bike, no idea about them. Reply with quote

I would go for a hard tail (front suspension only) second hand bike.

The boardman hardtail seems to be in your price range going by ebay completed listings. I haven't ridden this model, but I was very impressed with the full suspension version (impressed enough that I got another when it was stolen) and believe this has got good reviews too.

And yes, it is a Halfords model - while I don't like Halfords the shop or most of the staff, their Boardman and Carrera lines often offer good bikes at very good prices. I haven't tried their 'voodoo' range, but have heard good things about that too.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 3 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1