Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Changing oil

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
 Topic moved: from General Bike Chat to The Workshop by TiN (27 Nov 2004 - 12:24)
View previous topic : View next topic  

AcID ZeR0
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 16:05 - 26 Nov 2004    Post subject: Changing oil Reply with quote

I've recently brought a 50cc moped as a run around for town and work travel.
The oil light is now on obiously indicating I need to top it up with new oil.

However I don't know what oil was previously used in it, I'm planning on popping down the local halfords and buying the best brand of oil they've got avalible would it be okay to mix it with whatevers in there at the moment?

Barker-CBR 600
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 16:14 - 26 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whats the ped?

Dont think you can go hugely wrong with it, i wouldnt imagine mixing two oils (of the same type) would be a huge problem.

If i am correct (an dont have it backwards Confused ) then you want Fully Synthetic Oil (i,e 100% Synthetic). Better for the engine. You often get the cheaper ones that are a certain percentage but thats not as good.

But watch this space cause i might have it wrong and you night actually want 100% not synthetic! (Not used it in a long time hehe)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mr jamez
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:18 - 26 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

An oil light on a 50cc ped? is it a two stroke? I doubt they have a light for the gearbox oil, probably wrong though.

Oh and don't use fully synthetic on it, use the correct amount of specified grade semi synth, check the manual.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Barker-CBR 600
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 16:20 - 26 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, the guy at the garage i took mine to (Gilera DNA) said it was 100% (either fully synthetic or fully not.. dunno which one Question )

He just sayin that cause it cost more?

*waves fist*

Anyways listen to jamez he probably knows more about it. Thumbs Up

mr.z
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:21 - 26 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you mean 2-stroke oil or gearbox oil???

If its 2stroke oil then get the best you can afford... if its gearbox oil, investigate, oil light means you might have problems, give it a service or get it done (get the drive belt checked too while your at it)

edit: as said, in both cases check the manual!

AcID ZeR0
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 16:24 - 26 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone thanks for your replys.
It's a Piaggio NRG, When I spoke to the person when I got it he said he used Fully Synthetic 2 Stroke oil but because I don't know which brand he used if I topped it up with them best one they have there will it be fine?

mr jamez
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:29 - 26 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest it is a bit of a waste of money using fully synthetic oil on a 50cc two smoke, considering it is about £8 to £10 a litre. If you had a RGV250 or something then it would be worth it! Not exactly a highly tuned monser we are talking about Smile

You can buy specific scooter oil, which will be fine and will not hurt the wallet so much. Obviously if you get really really cheap crap then it won't be so good for it.

Last edited by mr jamez on 16:30 - 26 Nov 2004; edited 1 time in total

Barker-CBR 600
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 16:29 - 26 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never heard of problems mixing it especially as you say with the best branded oil you can find it shouldnt cause problems if placed in with a not so good oil. (otherwise no one would ever be able to change brands!)

mr jamez
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:33 - 26 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.am-oils.co.uk/products.htm

Advnce VSX 2 Stroke, semi synth oil, if you buy 12x1 litre (£45) it works out at £3.75 per litre, plenty good enough oil Thumbs Up I wouldn't bother with the 1x20 as getting it out of a large tub will just be annoying.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 12:50 - 27 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a ped, use semi syn.

Personally I would only use semi syn in one of the highly tuned fragile 2 stroke - RS125, mito, RGV250. I used it in the CRM250 although it probably could have had semi.

AcID ZeR0
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 14:37 - 27 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went down to the local scooter shop and they recomended me some "Fuchs Silkolene Scoot Sport 2t" I've brought a litre for £6. Anyone got any opinions on that brand of oil?

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!

PostPosted: 21:29 - 27 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I buy the cheapest halfords own stuff.

But then mine is a ten year old hunk of junk.

Gaz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 154 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1