Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Kill Spills?....

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

askew
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 10:56 - 25 Nov 2004    Post subject: Kill Spills?.... Reply with quote

I fell quite ignorant asking this, and I'm still not sure why I have never come across, or acknoledged diesel on the road. However, I feel compelled to ask, what exactly is the Kill spills thing all about?

I don't understand why there should be diesel on the road, or the reasoning behind a lorry driver dumping a load of it in the middle of the motorway.

This will no doubt seem like such a retarded question to about 99.9% of everyone that reads this, but any insight would be quite helpful. Smile

Cheers guys.

mchaggis
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:34 - 25 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.killspills.org.uk/ have a fairly good description of what they are about. The problem is usually drivers who overfill their tanks, and/or don't put the cap on properly. They go round a roundabout/ corner and the centrifugal force pushes the fuel out of the filling hole so it spills across the road.

Diesel is a very slippery substance, it doesn't evaporate in the same way as petrol, so won't just disappear from the road when it is spilt. The diesel is usually visible as a rainbow streak on the road, particularly visible when wet as it floats on the water, and sometimes noticeable as a petroleum-like smell.

The contact patch which your bike tyre has on the road normally is about the size of a playing card. Tilt the bike over and it becomes even smaller. As a result, the area of crap/ slippery substance which is needed for the tyre to lose grip is not very large. Generally, when the front loses grip, the bike just falls over, sliding away down the road, with you following.

This is also a very good reason not to use the front brake on corners. (I'm 90% certain that both of my lowside incidents have been the result of front brake on crap surfaces). When the back loses grip and slides, the automatic thing for it to want to do is to swap places with the front. Hence if you're leant over and put too much power through the back, it will slide towards the outside of the corner and end up spinning on its side down the road, with you following closely behind.

You might not have seen much diesel perhaps due to where you live meaning that there is a lack of HGV traffic. I know I've only seen diesel once whilst riding, as I was passing the exit of a quarry. Other than that, I've noticed diesel at bus stops primarily, for obvious reasons (start, stop etc making the fuel slosh back and forth in the tank, overfilled tanks spilling over the road).

(An amusing insight to this is that according to a friend of mine, Bentley recommend diesel fuel for lubricating the door hinges on their cars.. Laughing )

Other crap surfaces to look out for are gravel, wet leaves, ice and farm muck. Gravel is usually fairly predictably spread at junctions, so with experience you get to know where it is, normally a trianglar shape. It also occurs around the outside of corners I find. Wet leaves where there are trees in autumn. Ice, when it's cold. Beware of shady spots under trees where there hasn't been any sun in the morning, as these have the potential to be icy for a lot longer time than the places where the sun can get to.

On the attachment, turning right into the minor road is how I came a cropper, the gravel was distributed almost exactly like shown in the picture. I have noticed this shape on other junctions too, though I learnt my lesson after the first gravel induced lowside.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

askew
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 12:00 - 25 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much, that's incredibly useful. I'm going to be looking down at the ground for entre journeys now searching for some diesel to moan about Smile.

Crikey, you had a low-side going into a junction?! does that mean that you/your bike ended up in the middle of the road you were going towards? Nasty stuff if you ask me.

Thanks again! Smile

mchaggis
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:14 - 25 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

askew wrote:

Crikey, you had a low-side going into a junction?! does that mean that you/your bike ended up in the middle of the road you were going towards? Nasty stuff if you ask me.

There wasn't a lot of traffic really, and my bike slide more into the junction than down the main road. The best part of the entire incident was that there was a pub just on that corner and they gave me a free pot of tea. Thumbs Up I'd have lowsided on gravel sooner or later I think though, I'd had the front slide on it before, but not really worried about it, so not learnt the dangers of the front locking.

HTH. (Just make sure to pay attention to the rest of the road too. Wink )
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ninja
Caption Abuser

PostPosted: 13:43 - 25 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Locked up the front on farmer-giles type mudbath at a junction and carried on about 2 feet into the road...nothing coming at the time, but Shocked

yeah - leaves on the road! I've been steering clear (no pun intended) of them just-in-any-case....

touch wood etc now

pipnet11
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 17:58 - 26 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iv been got by diesel before on a roundabout. Not good. unfortunately the only thing you can do is be careful, Bus/lorry etc drivers will never care because it doesnt effect them.
I love the girls that do, I hate the girls that dont, I hate the girls who say they will and then they say they wont, but the girl I like most of all and I think youll say Im right, is the girl who says she never has but looks as though she might. - Max Bygraves

The Tot
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:02 - 28 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

When it comes to diesel - PLEASE DONT DO ANY SUDDEN MOVEMENTS TO UPSET THE BIKE'S BALENCE. If you see diesel on a mini-roundabout at your exit, just overshoot it and do a U-turn as suggested by the PC on my bikesafe course. It's bloody slippery as hell and sticks to ur tyres for ages. Spot the signs and just ride smoothly. Try to find a dry-line if possible.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

mchaggis
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:59 - 28 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a good article about the causes, the effects and the ways in which to deal with diesel spills on the roads.

https://www.racfoundation.org/releases/110304rac.htm

Quote:
How to deal with diesel:

* Firstly, always try to steer around the diesel. If you hit it, keep the bike as upright as possible, maintain a constant throttle and do NOT apply your brakes. If you are cornering, stand the bike up and run a little wider to the other side of the slick.
* Do everything on the bike smoothly, as you would on ice, and you can ride out the other side safely. Remember that there are likely to be more spillages further up the road, so keep a look out.
* If you inform your local council of any spillages, they should get it dealt with.

m99dws
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:38 - 28 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are ever needing to pass the bus depot next door to the Town Hall in Darlington, you would be wise to avoid the main road that runs passed the Dolphin Leisure Centre.
The idiots at Arriva seem to be having a competition with each other at the moment to see who can create bigger rainbows in the wet.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 181 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1