Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Yam SR125 forks

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

RealNinja
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:23 - 21 Nov 2004    Post subject: Yam SR125 forks Reply with quote

Can anybody help?

I am fitting new seals to an M reg SR125

I have the forks out of the yokes, but I cannot get the top of the forks off.....

I assume that the tops of the forks unscrew, as they are round bar two flat edges (the Haynes manual says 'remove O ring') but I cannot get them to budge Evil or Very Mad

Is it possible to drain the forks, refit the seals (circlips etc, etc) without removing the top sanction from the bottom?

I'll post a picture of the bit I'm trying to remove

RealNinja
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:32 - 21 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

O.K this the bit i'm trying to remove.....

Sorry about the blurryness, but the bit right at the top of the sanction

mr jamez
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:38 - 21 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fork tube cap? easy to get off if the fork is still in the yokes. You should be able to get a socket on it, if not a big spanner.

You will not be able to change the oil seals without removing the stanchion from the fork leg.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

RealNinja
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:41 - 21 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soooooo, stick the fork leg back in the pinch bolts and use the sockets.....

I had thought that this would be the easiest way of doing it, but thanks to the Haynes manual I already had the forks out..... Rolling Eyes

Thanx mate, I owe you a pint... Thumbs Up

pipnet11
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 22:07 - 22 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haynes manuals are notorious for this. They tell you to do something then a few paragraphs later tell you something you needed to do BEFORE the first bit. I now read the whole procedure first before even attempting anything.
I love the girls that do, I hate the girls that dont, I hate the girls who say they will and then they say they wont, but the girl I like most of all and I think youll say Im right, is the girl who says she never has but looks as though she might. - Max Bygraves
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 15:52 - 26 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have stuck them in a vice before with some wood to stop the forks being damaged, but it's much easier just to stick them back in the yokes Smile.

RealNinja
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:58 - 29 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

O.K the fork tops are off Very Happy
(Wonderweb is ace for gripping forks BTW)

The oil is out Very Happy

But now I can't get the sanction out of the bottom bit, and dislodge the seal Sad

The Haynes manual says that it can just be pulled out (with force) but I tried this yesterday and only succeeded in pulling my workbench across the garage! Shocked

The manual says 'in stubborn cases a slide hammer can be used to dislodge the seals and remove the sanction'

Two questions:

1) Is there any other way of me removing the seals?

2) What the bloody hell is a slide hammer? Confused

I've got this far, it seems a waste to have to take it to a mechanic now..... Crying or Very sad

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 14:44 - 29 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

They do require a very good tug. All that is stopping them coming apart is the bush under the seal, assuming you have removed the bolt from the very bottom of the fork. Make sure the circlip is out of the way of the seal and then yank them repeatedly.

If you need a hand then give me a shout as I can probably wander up one evening (even if I just provide some extra weight on the work bench Laughing ).

All the best

Keith

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 14:54 - 29 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is usually a circlip holding the seal, you have got this out haven't you?
I've spent a while yanking it up to realise that the circlip was still in Embarassed.

After that it should just need a good tug.

RealNinja
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:30 - 29 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green

Done it!!!! Dance!

Spoke to the John, the mechanic at Ross Verdons, who suggested I put a screwdriver thorugh the seal first to break the seal that it had on the fork and then snap it quickly out......

It worked Mr. Green

Thanks for all the help guys Clapping

and thanks for the offer Keith, much appreiciated Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 164 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1