Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Cree 4,000 luminum lighting kit from eBay

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum
View previous topic : View next topic  

bladerunner
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:17 - 28 Apr 2013    Post subject: Cree 4,000 luminum lighting kit from eBay Reply with quote

Just bought this from eBay

High Quality 4000Lm 3X CREE XML T6 LED Bicycle Bike Light HeadLight headLamp A+

Ebay Item number 171030306315

Sorry cant direct link on the iPad ???

Any of you knowledgable types tried these cheap eBay versions? If so what are they like?

hazza
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:12 - 29 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not had one personally, But I've heard on the bike forums about the battery exploding (literally) when charging. People suggest charging inside a metal tin! Still tempted to go Chinese rather than pay £200 for the equivalent!
3 Honda NC50's(Sold)-->'72 Puch Maxi S (Sold, want it back!)--> '90 Yamaha RXS 100 (Stolen)--> '87 Honda Cub 90(Sold) --> '95 Kawasaki Eliminator (Sold) --> '98 Bandit 600 (Sold) -->'07 SV650S (Current)

bladerunner
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:01 - 29 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads up hazza Shocked I've got one of those all singing all dancing rc field chargers.....so may well charge it via that than the supplied charger it's pretty good at monitoring the battery type and voltage etc just to be on the safe side! It'll also monitor the discharge cycle so let's see if the capacity is what it says on the tin Laughing

I'll post up some pics of the results when I get it fitted if your interested. If its as good as I hope it is then it may well get used on my kdx200 for a bit of night time greenlaning ..... So it will be getting a rough time!

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 00:18 - 30 Apr 2013    Post subject: Re: Cree 4,000 luminum lighting kit from eBay Reply with quote

Be interested to hear how it goes.

Had a cheap chinese very bright zoom torch. Was good, but not up to level of ruggedness to handle the sort of abuse such things suffer with me - the smaller ones I've had have now done me a good few years and are still going, however.

hazza
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:28 - 30 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it would be interesting to see how it is!
3 Honda NC50's(Sold)-->'72 Puch Maxi S (Sold, want it back!)--> '90 Yamaha RXS 100 (Stolen)--> '87 Honda Cub 90(Sold) --> '95 Kawasaki Eliminator (Sold) --> '98 Bandit 600 (Sold) -->'07 SV650S (Current)

bladerunner
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:40 - 30 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll deffo take some pics to show how it does compared to other things like the cheap 300 lm zoom torch and the fireblade headlights, 4d cell mag light etc. handy thing about having a dslr camera is I can set it on manual exposure, aperture iso etc so you can compare like for like! It probs won't be here before the 15th may tho!

Glen
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 21:59 - 01 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

That for road or trail use?

bladerunner
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:31 - 01 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glen wrote:
That for road or trail use?

A bit of both tbh. It won't be legal to use on the kdx on road but sure could be handy for those dark forest technical bits if any good. In reality it'll probably be better than the single element ( no dip ) std kdx headlight but would need to be setup in a way as not to cause problems for other road users if used as a headlight. On the mtb it'll deffo get used on the road but needs to be safe to do so as again blinding an on coming vehicle on a dark country back road is going a big no no!

bladerunner
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:49 - 20 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kit arrived today and wow things have moved on since I last fitted lights to a push bike! Looks to be a well finished as far as machining goes and the rest of it is better than usual Chinese stuff I've had. As far as light output goes .....erm wow!!! I've ridden plenty of motorbikes that had less headlight power. On high power it lights the road enough to see clearly a good few hundred feet and enough to make out objects 800 feet away if not more.

The beam has a very usable spread rather than fine spot focus with a defined hotspot in the middle where the 3 lights have an overlap for extra distance.

On full power for periods of more than 20 minutes the light unit becomes hot enough to become uncomfortable to hold for long but this shouldn't be a problem when moving or used mounted properly and didn't seem to get to hot as to cause damage as the casing is its own heatsink with small cooling fins and solid ali casing. Time will tell for sure but the battery's didn't get warm at all either whilst powering it on full or whilst charging.

For the £27 delivered early impressions are good but we'll see how it lasts longer term.

1/3 power is enough to cycle with Safely and better than most std cycle lights
2/3 power is more than enough for cycling anywhere I could think of
Full power and reflective road signs start to become glaring and enough light to ride a motorbike at 50 mph!

Will try to post up pics by the weekend if anyone is interested.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 10 years, 354 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1