Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

A spark plug question

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 13:20 - 28 Nov 2004    Post subject: A spark plug question Reply with quote

This is one one of my cars, but the principal is the same.

The car in question is a 1988ish BMW 320i - electronic igniton, but with a distributor of some kind on the end of the camshaft - still a contact one.

Right then, its not starting. Turning over fine, sometimes feeling like it wants to catch, but not really, apart from the occasional splutter on a cylinder or two.
The dizzy cap and rotor arm were horrible, so I replaced them. Still not starting, so I whipped out the plugs.

Now these look horrible, but laying them along the rocker cover with the HT lead on they still spark ok, big fat blue sparks. The problem being that on most of them the spark is coming from the insulation up to the arm, not the electrode up to the arm. The insulation is knackered.

So, after that little book, the question is simple. Can a plug spark healthily out in the open air, but not spark at all inside the very different conditions of the combustion chamber if its a bit knackered?

Trying to sell the car, so trying to avoid spending any more money on it.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:47 - 28 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The problem being that on most of them the spark is coming from the insulation up to the arm, not the electrode up to the arm.

They are fucked mate, get new ones.

Quote:
Can a plug spark healthily out in the open air, but not spark at all inside the very different conditions of the combustion chamber if its a bit knackered?

Yes, but yours aren't even sparking healthily in the open air.

NGK plugs suck ass, the QC on them has gone right downhill (if you buy four, chances are one of them will be duff from new). Buy some other sort if you can (Bosch and Denso seem ok).

Retro-Man
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 16:47 - 28 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree

Plugs are fucked.

The distributor thing is fairly classic of the 320 though.

Cheers
Retro

binge
Emo Kiddy

PostPosted: 00:14 - 29 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a new set of plugs...

I agree that NGK are shit!

I bought an NGK-R Plug the other day and it didnt work, it was a duff plug. Shocked

<|BiNgE|>
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

tatters
Exxon Valdez

PostPosted: 00:18 - 29 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

denso plugs are widely sold on ebay, never had any troble with them, on another subject did you know that NGK have stated that there plugs are not ment to be used on two strokes Thinking
Past:NRG50,AF1125(x2),NSR125RR,ZZR250,CX500,VFR400,KR1S,ZZR600(x2),CB400N,YZF1000(x2),KH125,Z200,FX400R,CBR954RR(x2)GPZ500S,GT550,VFR750F(x2),RD350N,XR650R,CBR600F,CB250,KDX250,YZF750R,CRM250,400EXC,KLR650,TTR600RE,DR350S,R100GSPD,RGV250,VMAX1200,DL650 Present:G650XC,C12,KZ750,1190ADV
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

binge
Emo Kiddy

PostPosted: 00:27 - 29 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked
Thats strange, because when you buy a brand new speedfight they come with NGK plugs in. Also whe I got mine serviced they changed the plug and replaced it with a NGK-R plug!

hmm, So whats the best plug for a 2T?

<|Binge|>
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

tatters
Exxon Valdez

PostPosted: 00:33 - 29 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

bosh/denso Iridium should not oil up as bad as standard, or splitfire plugs (should last longer with two eletrobes). NGK are fine its just that they were never inteded for two strokes. stay away from champion plugs now they are crap
Past:NRG50,AF1125(x2),NSR125RR,ZZR250,CX500,VFR400,KR1S,ZZR600(x2),CB400N,YZF1000(x2),KH125,Z200,FX400R,CBR954RR(x2)GPZ500S,GT550,VFR750F(x2),RD350N,XR650R,CBR600F,CB250,KDX250,YZF750R,CRM250,400EXC,KLR650,TTR600RE,DR350S,R100GSPD,RGV250,VMAX1200,DL650 Present:G650XC,C12,KZ750,1190ADV
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

pipnet11
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 01:06 - 29 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Can a plug spark healthily out in the open air, but not spark at all inside the very different conditions of the combustion chamber if its a bit knackered?

Yes, and very annoying it can be too as the spark often look perfectly helthy, unlike yours which sound a tad shagged.
I love the girls that do, I hate the girls that dont, I hate the girls who say they will and then they say they wont, but the girl I like most of all and I think youll say Im right, is the girl who says she never has but looks as though she might. - Max Bygraves

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 14:35 - 29 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Sounds like your plugs are really knackered.

Had problems with Scottys NSR. It seemed to be sparking fine, until I realised that it was actually sparking between the outer electrode and the engine it was (almost) earthed against.

NGK plugs used to have a very good reputation, but I have heard from loads of people that they have gone greatly down hill over the past decade. Not sure about them saying they are not suitable for 2 strokes but that seems strange when they sell the B10EG (and the like) which are pretty much only used by 2 strokes.

Think Champion stuff has got far better over the past decade.

All the best

Keith

Fortuna
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:50 - 29 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get some Denso grooved type or multi tip plugs. On my machine it's worth 4bhp to have better plugs.
If you get good ones and set them correctly you really can tell the difference.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 13:15 - 30 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Replaced all the plugs. Still no life.

However, its smoking out of the oil filler cap when you crank it, and it was very tappety when it was running, so I'm thinking a combination of valve clearances and valve stem oil seals.

Bollocks to fixing it, I want the space back. Its on ebay as is.

Fortuna
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:02 - 30 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

robby wrote:
Replaced all the plugs. Still no life.

However, its smoking out of the oil filler cap when you crank it, and it was very tappety when it was running, so I'm thinking a combination of valve clearances and valve stem oil seals.

Bollocks to fixing it, I want the space back. Its on ebay as is.
Shocked
Hmm, maybe selling it is the best thing.

Dam_buster
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 23:09 - 01 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

so what are the best Spark plugs for 2 strokes?

JIM

Fortuna
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:37 - 01 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dam_buster wrote:
so what are the best Spark plugs for 2 strokes?

JIM

I think they are mostly short reach IIRC.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 149 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1