Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

CBR600F Resurrection (very old thread with new updates)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Slacker24seve...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:02 - 02 Sep 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't worry about the 530 chain. My Hornet puts out broadly equivalent levels of power and uses a 525; hell most race bikes run 520s.

Serendipity
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:57 - 08 Sep 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got around to changing the chain and sprockets a few days ago. I forgot to compare the lengths of the old and new chains to see how much wear there was, but judging by the very good state of the pins at the point I split the chain suggest that there were quite a few miles left in the old one. The rear sprocket would probably have been fine too, but it got changed along with the front sprocket which was starting to show hooking on the teeth. I also replaced the footpeg rubbers that, after 80k were almost worn through.

https://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd227/serendipity_uk/CBR600FR/IMGP7599.jpg~original

The cush drive rubbers are a bit hard, but the sprocket carrier is still a nice tight fit between them. Maybe something to consider if the transmission still seems a bit weird. All the bearings are in good nick. One worry is the surprising amount of large rust flakes that fell out of the end of the swingarm when I pulled out the axle and the chain adjusters. Hopefully it’s not just being held together by paint while it dissolves from the inside. Shocked

This afternoon I drained the coolant and pulled off the hoses that were leaking. Nice pan of Predator blood:

https://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd227/serendipity_uk/CBR600FR/IMG_0449.jpg~original

This is the where the main drip was coming from, at the spigot on the base of the oil cooler cover:

https://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd227/serendipity_uk/CBR600FR/IMG_0450.jpg~original

The hoses are still in good condition with no hardening or splits, but the spigots were well encrusted with a mix of road grime, corrosion and dried green coolant. I cleaned up the insides of the hoses, but ran out of time to attack the crusty spigots. These are the two coming off the water pump:

https://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd227/serendipity_uk/CBR600FR/IMG_0453.jpg~original

I’ll try to find more time tomorrow to clean the spigots, put it all back together and flush it through a few times and properly check for leaks this time before refilling with coolant.

Last edited by Serendipity on 12:30 - 11 Nov 2017; edited 1 time in total

DrDonnyBrago
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:48 - 14 Sep 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any progress?

Serendipity
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:24 - 14 Sep 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes indeed.

I cleaned all the corrosion off the coolant spigots and refitted the hoses. I gave the system another blast through with a hosepipe then ran the bike for a while with a water\Fairy cocktail. After I drained the detergent I rinsed it through thoroughly and gave it a couple of runs up to temperature with plain water before draining and refilling with proper coolant. New copper washers added on the drain plugs.

https://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd227/serendipity_uk/CBR600FR/IMG_0457.jpg~original

No leaks so far. Smile

When I took the bike out at the weekend it was making a slightly odd noise when under power. I’m hoping it’s an induction whistle as a result of a new air filter and new airbox lid. I’m about to pop out on the bike again now so I’ll see if I can work out where it’s coming from.

The bike is now roadworthy, legal and in a better state than it’s been for years, but there are still a few more things to do before I’m happy to give some real abuse. I honestly can’t remember what oil is in it. It’s fairly clear oil and at the right level, but it could be a mix of the various grades I have sitting around the garage. I may drop it and refill with something I can identify.

I have a Givi Wingrack and a new old stock fitting kit for the CBR all from Fleabay. As I need to paint my old Renntec sports rack I will fit the Wingrack while the Renntec is off the bike then pull the Wingrack off all in one piece. That way it’s quicker to put back on in the future. While I’m doing that I may slap some paint on my subframe…

I’d also quite like to remove my old alarm. The bike has a Datatool Veto Plus that I paid someone to fit in 1997. The alarm still functions to certain extent, but the speaker no longer works and the alarm always trips as soon as it’s armed. Consequently I keep it in workshop mode and never use it. The annoying beep that Datatool alarms usually make in Workshop mode isn’t a problem because of the failed speaker. I carry the fob in my bag just in case it arms for some reason, but it would be easier to just pull the whole thing out. Definitely a job that I’d rather pay someone to do. I hate any electrics and the idea of cutting out a system with all black wiring and reconstructing the bikes ignition circuit send shudders down my spine.

Any recommendations for companies in the South East who know Datatool systems?

Last edited by Serendipity on 12:33 - 11 Nov 2017; edited 1 time in total

mrtEE
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:24 - 14 Sep 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently removed an alarm from my girlfriends SZR660. I have no knowledge of electrics, and it took about half an hour to do.

Its incredibly easy and from the sounds of your posts here you have a lot more mechanical knowledge/sympathy than the average person.

Theres a few threads on BCF about how to do it, this is how I did mine. Its really really easy.
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 1 year, 282 days between these two posts...

Serendipity
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:19 - 23 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

My repairs to the CBR continue at a pace that would be better measured in geological terms than conventional days, weeks and months.

After my last post in Sept 2011 I moved to a new job in central London requiring a 60 mile a day round trip. I alternated between the CBR600F and a CB500 to spread the mileage, but much preferred the 600 for its power, comfort and better filtering abilities.

I added the Givi Wingrack that I previously mentioned, partly with a view to taking the 600 touring, but mainly so I could commute with a top box. Fitting the Wingrack was a significantly tougher job than I anticipated. My CB500 came with a Wingrack and I’ve removed and re-added it several times. It just unbolts and comes off in one piece. There was no way that was happening with the 600. I had to modify a couple of bits including the seat bolts and a lug on the sub frame designed to hold the spark unit. Then I had to remove the indicators and wire in the Givi ones. All in all it was a complete arse-ache.

I also fitted a 12v charging socket into the fairing, again with a view to touring.

I carried on adding mileage through winter 2011/2012 when the bike suddenly started cutting out in January. I traced the fault to a broken solder joint where the Datatool alarm was spliced into the loom. I repaired the break and everything was good again for a while.

Around May 2012 the engine started making a new noise that I’d not heard before. It’s not the usual cam chain tensioner rattle that CBR600’s suffer from, but more of a deeper whiney rumbling noise. It leaves me with uncomfortable mental images of main bearings, but hopefully it’s more benign.

So, next I did what comes naturally to me. I chucked the CBR into the back of the garage and bought a new bike. The CBF1000 has been great for my commute and both the CB500 and CBR600 have only done a handful of miles since I bought the Biffer.

So, moving on to the present day. I’d been trickle charging the CBR600 every now and then, but took my eye off the ball and the combination of the Datatool alarm and the exceptionally cold winter killed the battery. I bought a new battery and took the CBR for a spin. WOW! What a difference to the Biffer. Even in less than fit condition the CBR is like a razor sharp GP bike in comparison to the lardy thou. This experience solidified my resolve to carry on the work on the CBR600.

On the menu:

1. Remove the Givi Wingrack. The Biffer now fills the touring/luggage role.
2. If I’m rewiring the indicators for the Wingrack I may as well rip out the Datatool battery killer.
3. Pull off the carbs for a thorough clean. The bike now smells of petrol when hot and the back of the engine block has wet dribbles down it.
4. Check the cam chain tensioner in case it really is the source of my mystery noise.
5. Consider replacing the cam chain completely. It has now done 85,500 miles.
6. Delve deeper if that doesn’t cure the issue.

So this is the bike in current trim:
https://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd227/serendipity_uk/CBR600FR/IMG_1135.jpg~original

The fat-arsed Wingrack:
https://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd227/serendipity_uk/CBR600FR/IMG_1140.jpg~original

The removal of the Wingrack was pretty straight forward. The fitting kit was brand new when I put it on the bike and I was disappointed to see the amount of corrosion after one gentle winter. The bike was used over the relatively dry winter 2011/2012 and I normally took the CB500 on the really wet or icy days. I guess the coatings they use on the Givi stuff is more geared up for Italian winter than UK.

Next I attacked the Datatool Veto Plus alarm. I started by exposing all the wiring by unravelling about four miles of black insulating tape. This allowed me to trace all the connections and snip them out as sensitively as possible. For obvious reasons I won’t go into detail about where it was connected, but it took me quite a while.

https://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd227/serendipity_uk/CBR600FR/IMG_1142.jpg~original
The parasite removed:
https://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd227/serendipity_uk/CBR600FR/IMG_1143.jpg~original

I may call the alarm a parasite, but overall I was pretty happy with it. The alarm did its job and kept my bike safe during 10 years of being parked openly on London streets. It may have eaten a couple of batteries and nearly left me stranded once, but I liked the peace of mind (whether false or not) that it gave me.

All gone:

https://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd227/serendipity_uk/CBR600FR/IMG_1145.jpg~original

Note the garden chair. My back really started hurting as I was bent over the bike unravelling wires. I must be getting old. I found it more comfortable to sit down while I did the work. Maybe I need to look into one of those hydraulic work benches.

Wingrack and Datatool gone. I just need to solder a couple of wires and re-wrap the loom to complete this stage. Then I think it’s CCT next. Thumbs Up

Last edited by Serendipity on 12:39 - 11 Nov 2017; edited 2 times in total

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:23 - 23 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

It lives! What's the plan for it this time?

MeatHelmet
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 12:30 - 23 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Normally I don't read threads like this because I can't be bothered!

However, as I am constantly tinkering with my CBR600 I ended up reading every word. Got to say, you must have the patience of a saint, I would have sold the bike for spares and bought another one haha!

Great work and the bike looks great when its dressed.

Keep the updates coming mate, great reading.

Serendipity
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:22 - 24 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a bit more done on Sunday night. I had to solder in a couple of short lengths of wire to replace gaps left by the removal of the alarm, then wrapped up the exposed stretches of loom again and tucked everything back where it was meant to be. I put the original indicators back on and replaced their connectors with Japanese style bullets instead of the crappy spades I used for the Wingrack indicators.

Finally I added the battery and turned the key…

1. Dashboard lights…? ON!!
2. Starter motor…? TURNS OVER!!
3. Ignition…. ? FIRES!!!

Good feeling. I don’t have an impressive history with electrics, so getting this to work first time was pretty relieving. Having the right tools for the job this time was an enormous help.

I finished the night by refitting pillion pegs and various bits of furniture around the decidedly untwisted subframe.

Next I think I’ll take a look at the CCT before I delve into the carbs.

UnspeedySam
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:58 - 24 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting thread. Good luck with finding the source of the rumble!
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 4 years, 141 days between these two posts...

Serendipity
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:15 - 12 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bless me father for I have sinned. It has been more than 4 years since my last confession.

The work on the old CBR continues at the blistering pace I set over 10 years ago. I've now owned the bike for over 20 years, but it's spent quite a good proportion of that time sat without turning a wheel.

Quick recap.

Oil leaking into coolant via failed o-ring in oil cooler - fixed
    Snapped exhaust stud - fixed
    Rebuilt and powder coated forks - complete
    HEL stainless brake lines - complete
    Cooling system flushed and refilled - complete
    Hagon rear shock rebuilt - complete
    New chain and sprockets - complete
    Add Givi Wingrack - complete
    Commute on bike for a few months adding another 5,000 miles.
    Broken solder joint in Datatool alarm causing cut-outs - fixed
    Remove Givi Wingrack - complete
    Remove Datatool alarm - complete
    Buy new bike and abandon the CBR6 in a dusty corner of the garage - complete

I moved house in early 2014 and when I went to ride the CBR to the new place it started fine, but would cut out as soon as I put it in gear. I suspected issues with the sidestand cut-out circuit, but I'd already moved all my tools to the new house and had zero time due to moving and decorating commitments..... so I admitted defeat and got the local bike shop to collect it, fix it and give it an MOT. The mechanic said parts of the loom were so badly corroded from years of salty commuting that he recommened ditching the whole loom and picking up a secondhand one from teh interwebs.

I rode it a couple of times in 2014 then consigned it to the back of the new garage for a couple of years. It got dragged out and started in summer 2016 when I moved it outside while decorating the garage. It fired up, but sounded really crappy, like at least one of the carbs was blocked. So, back into the garage it went for another year.

Earlier in 2017 I stripped down the carbs on my CB500 and chucked the parts through a little ultrasonic cleaner with great success. It completely transformed the little twin making it feel fresh and perky again. I ended up riding the 500 for most of the summer while I rebuilt the forks on my CBF1000 and the carb refresh made the 500 so nice I resolved to do the same to the 600.

The 600 was at the back of the garage under a cover and piled high with boxes, tarps and general crap. A little while ago I dug it all out to expose her to daylight for the first time in a year.

https://i.imgur.com/7YJx0OEh.jpg

Tax disks a thing of the past since I last looked at the thing. I rolled her outside and thumbed the button until she burst into life. Well I say life. It was the same sort of "life" you see in zombie films. It sounded like a misfiring tractor accompanied by someone shaking a bucket of spanners. Yuck!

Then to complete the show it suddenly started pissing petrol all over the ground. A pretty spectacular cascade of petrol actually. So I hit the kill switch and rolled her away from the shameful wet patch hoping I wasn't about round off the day with a Honda bonfire.

Next. Bodywork off, tank off and airbox off. I went to unscrew the clamps around the inlet rubbers and found to my surprise that all four were already completely slack. Now there's a mystery. I've never had the carbs off this bike myself and the last work in that area was when I asked the local bike shop to check the valve clearances and balance the carbs. That was back in 2011 so it seems likely that the clamps have been undone ever since. That would explain the petrol smells I noticed back in 2012 when I last used the bike for commuting.

And that's as far as i've got for now:

https://i.imgur.com/5F4iDX4h.jpg

The carbs are all disconnected and ready to come out, but are currently unwilling to release their grip on the inlet stubs. I can move them a little, but the rubbers are a tight fit and having experienced how hard it was to seperate the two CB500 carbs from that engine I was fully expecting these four to be twice the bastard. So far they're living up to my expectations. Next I'm going to try a little heat on the rubbers to see if they'll soften up enough to give up and let go.
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 252 days between these two posts...

Serendipity
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:55 - 22 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy progress, Batman!!!!

Overcame a major obstacle today and finally managed to wrench the bank of carbs off the engine. I tried multiple times over the winter, but just couldn’t budge them. I tried all sorts including heating the inlet rubbers to soften them up, carefully levering the carbs up, wiggling them and just basically pulling like a muddy funster. Still no joy.

I decided to wait until warmer weather so the rubbers were even softer. When I was trying to warm them up over winter it was close to zero degrees in the garage so I suspect all the warmth was just conducting away through the frozen engine block. The last few weeks definitely qualified as warmer, but in predictable style I’ve been distracted by a newer Honda and spent all the free time possible messing about with this:

https://i.imgur.com/lQGyHash.jpg

However today definitely qualified as a warmer day (32 degrees Celsius in the garage) and I was prevented from heading out on the water by other duties. So I dug to the back of the garage, uncovered the CBR600 and had another go.

A little while ago I was so convinced that I’d never shift the hardened old rubber sleeves that I bought some replacement inlet rubbers with the plan to cut through the old ones. However that turned out to be completely unnecessary.

I faffed about checking all the clamps were completely loosened off (they were) and had a few experimental wiggles. Then I carefully located a breaker bar under the central carb bodies and gave it a little lever. I probably used about a quarter of the effort I’d been putting into levering in the cold weather, and they just popped off….

https://i.imgur.com/pluiBg6h.jpg

So now they’re on the bench it’s time to give the outside a good scrub then start work on stripping them down. Might need to tidy the bench up first….

https://i.imgur.com/RLyIGuGh.jpg

I’ll be giving them the same treatment as the CB500 carbs I did last summer. Just a few runs through a little ultrasonic cleaner for the smaller components followed by a thorough clean with carb cleaner and compressed air for the ducts and components.

Hopefully more updates very soon….. genuinely…. Very Happy

Serendipity
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:48 - 26 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

And this, kids, is what you get when you neglect a bike for the best part of 20 years….

https://i.imgur.com/RHaoEYah.jpg

I took off the inlet trumpets and a few breather tubes and washed down the outside of the carbs with alcohol and a paintbrush.

https://i.imgur.com/W5QEDUgh.jpg

I set about opening carb 1. Took off the top cap and removed the slide and needle. All looks in pretty decent shape. Next I popped off the float bowl. No need to drain, it was as dry and dusty as a very dry and dusty thing. Annnnnddddd…..yuck…

https://i.imgur.com/CBMHoKWh.jpg

Removed the float and the various metallic bits that are designed to come out and into the ultrasonic cleaner they go.

https://i.imgur.com/wdVE6aKh.jpg

After a single pass they came out looking ok..

https://i.imgur.com/qVzFpxwh.jpg

A little more time in the ultrasonic followed by some carb cleaner and compressed air will see them right.

Before:
https://i.imgur.com/xRYxoOYh.jpg

After: Meh… bit out of focus.
https://i.imgur.com/j7FyTr9h.jpg

So ran out of daylight. More to come. Need to rescue that rubber seal from the float bowl, but it seems stuck fast. I looked at buying the official Honda kits with all the rubber parts when I did my CB500 carbs, but they're about £40 per carb so a bit pricey when your looking at a bank of four. I never replaced the CB500 ones in the end and they've stayed fuel-tight....

DrDonnyBrago
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:23 - 04 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

So..... Does time alone reassemble a carb or does it require manual intervention?

Serendipity
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:08 - 04 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

But....but... it's only been a month. That's a mere beat of a fly's wing with my clearly skewed perception of time.

There has been progress, but I've been out of the country for a while and work has been a bit 24/7.

I'll throw up a few pictures later, but all the component parts are cleaned and reassembled. Had to replace 4 o-rings and the inlet sleeves, but all the other rubber components seemed sound.

In progress is a clean up of the rear of the engine, working out the routing for all the breathers and cabling and getting the carbs re-seated.

Serendipity
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:43 - 04 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was the bank of carbs during cleaning and numbered bags containing components from each carb to avoid mixing them up.

https://i.imgur.com/tUrDXEbh.jpg

I had a little go at putting the whole bank of carbs in the ultrasonic cleaner, but turns out it wasn’t quite big enough.

https://i.imgur.com/4QRNdUQh.jpg

These o-rings which sit in the pistons just above the needles were significantly degraded. I replaced them with the closest match in size I could find, but was reluctant to cough up for the whole gasket kit at 4 x £40 just to replace these with the genuine rings.

https://i.imgur.com/JZFxMiSh.jpg

And this was putting the float bowls and piston assemblies back together. The “essential” maintenance fluid in the background was to combat the heat in my garage that day and is in no way related to the pace of work I’ve been displaying…. Belch…

https://i.imgur.com/fHZGBWah.jpg

Smile
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 206 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2