Hot Grips

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

DukeRed
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:07 - 03 Dec 2004    Post subject: Hot Grips Reply with quote

Bit of background first:
Just bought some oxford hot grips. There really really hot! One problem though is that because when I took my old grips off the throttle tube was very cracked in lots of places. Still put the grips on over that which was a f**ing hassle. Ended up smacking my bike with a plank of wood to get them to go on.

Worked fine if not looking fairly ugly with wires hanging all over my bike.

Long ride, the grip started sliding around and staying up with the traffic was very tricky.

Ok, now the questions:
Is it hard to replace the throttle tube? Will grip glue work to keep them from sliding around considering the heat they reach? Any tips on making the grips tidy, wire wise.

Cheers Jan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 21:11 - 03 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Throttle tube is easy - undo the two screws that hold the switch cluster together, slacken the adjusters off and firtle the cables out and slide the tube off the bars. Replace in reverse order.

Grip glue - never used it, sorry.

Wiring - neatly coiled up and cable-tied to the bars?

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 23:02 - 03 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

The Hot Grips I fitted 2 weeks ago came with a tube of "specially formulated glue", otherwise known as a tube of superglue. Seems to be working fine.

All the best

Keith

WildGoose
White Van Man

PostPosted: 21:02 - 04 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

i replaced my throttle tube a while back on the CBR4 as it was smashed to bits, wasnt a difficult job, just two screws, then a bit of fiddling with a pliers to get the throttle cable nipples out of their places, its more a fiddly frustrating job than difficult, 10 mins max, and worth doing, just be careful, as they are only made of plastic, and easy to break with a screwdriver

i didnt use the superglue with my hot grips, they were a tight enough fit as they are, cant see them ever coming off again if i did, but its up to you, i've never used grip lock or any kind of locking glue

on advice from others, if the bar is too small, just pad it out with electrical tape till you get a snug fit, it often doesnt take much

as for the wiring, i routed it under the fuel tank, and round the side of the carbs, its all neat to that point, obviously you need a bit of freeplay for the bars from lock to lock, and more on the throttle for that movement, any excess just dangles in my cbr nose fairing, on a bros i would say just cable tie the excess...and tuck it away somewhere, just make sure you have the movement you need
So in other words, he stopped you for being flagrantly in posession of a motorcycle in direct contravention of the Hippies, Darkies and People Whose Face I Don't Like The Look of (Police Powers) Act. 1976
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 147 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1