Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Fully Synthetic?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Crash it for fun
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 21:56 - 01 Dec 2004    Post subject: Fully Synthetic? Reply with quote

Hi,

I've just had my bike serviced at lloyd coopers in Hemel Hempstead. On the service sheet it says they've used Putoline Syntec 4 which is a fully synth oil. My bike is a Hornet 600 (2002) and I thought Total sythetic oils were only for superbikes really. Anyone have any comments on this?

Cheers,

Mark

Rob W
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:59 - 01 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no clue myself mate, but I wouldn't of thought it'd do any damage surely?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Claud 14.7 to 1
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:42 - 01 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aren't Lloyd Coopers in Watford? Queens road right?

Be happy with the oil. It's more expensive/better and is nice of them to do this. I would have expected them to use semi.

Always found them to have very good service. Thumbs Up

Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 23:10 - 01 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waste of money on a bike for road use in my opinion, and could cause clutch slip on some models.

Claud 14.7 to 1
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:24 - 01 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh hang, on did you have to pay extra for it? Shocked

Clutch slip would be rare IMO on that bike. Especially seeing as its resonably new.

You will know if it slips. People say it would on my: 12 year old Cbr4 with decent mileage. I use semi in mine.

Crash it for fun
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 09:08 - 02 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Claud 14.7 to 1 wrote:
Oh hang, on did you have to pay extra for it? Shocked

I don't think so. I thought it would be okay I just wanted to check

Claud 14.7 to 1 wrote:
Clutch slip would be rare IMO on that bike. Especially seeing as its resonably new.

I have had this but only sometimes when pissing about doing wheelies

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 11:30 - 02 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I wouldn't worry about it. The oil is likely to be better for the engine (although whether that is of any relevance for the life of a road bike is another question).

Very unlikely to cause any clutch slip problems. Not really any different to any other oil of the right rating.

All the best

Keith

Kram
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:00 - 03 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

can i just ask a non related question... how much does a full service cost???

spacecowboy
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 05:56 - 04 Dec 2004    Post subject: Oil Reply with quote

Fully synthetic oils are just a bit better at holding together for longer and under extreme loads.
They will work ok with less stressed engines, but will tend to be a waste of money. Semi synthetic is likely to be a good choice for modern bikes. Anything from the dark ages (before the mid 90's) will be better off using a good quality multi-grade with frequent changes.
Cracking nuts with a mash hammer is all that you will be doing.
Just remember not to mix oil types, and change your filter at the same time as the oil.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

craigT19
Jolly Green Giant

PostPosted: 15:33 - 04 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah the only time i was told not to use fully synth was when breaking the engine in as i was told it tends to polish the internals and rings meaning the seals cant hold oil

spacecowboy
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 05:00 - 05 Dec 2004    Post subject: Rings 'n' things Reply with quote

Thats about right, although not so much with really modern engines. Initially your rings and bearings actually have to wear a bit to get the two surfaces to bed in.
I don't know what the factories do with the engines, but performance motors usually come with recommended fully synthetic oil already in from the start.
Another thing to mention, you can screw up older clutch plates with oil additives (Slick50, molyslip etc.) as well as fully synthetic oil.
Very slippy stuff. Wink

stevo123
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 23:37 - 05 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm. As the title says-controversial. If you take time to read it with an open mind and a half decent understanding of what breaking an engine in is all about it makes sense. If I had shelled out for a brand new machine would i have the balls to do this though?..... Hell yeah Surprised

jay12329
Dr. Evil

PostPosted: 16:35 - 06 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have a 2002 hornet, its slightly younger than yours its on a 03 plate. For its first two services it had Minaral oil in it, i have recently chaged the oil to castrol gps, which is a semi synth oil. From my experence the hornet is only susseptable to clutch slipping when being ridden very hard and you are using clutchless gear up shifts.
Most people use semi synth in the hornet.
HTH
J
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 117 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1