Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Full throttle lumpy

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Knisis
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 20:13 - 28 Nov 2004    Post subject: Full throttle lumpy Reply with quote

Hi, Have a bit of prob with my Honda City Fly. Went out for a ride last night, and noticed if I try and open the throttle fully it seems to stutter (as if it low on fuel), it's all right if I keep to lower power.

Very worrying as I as on a dual carriage way passing a lorry when it happened, and had to drop right back.

Also, even after an hour on the road, if I take the choke full off, it stalls no matter how slowly I twist the throttle.

Thinking of taking in for a full service etc.

Any suggestions before I spend a fortune?
Jammy-G This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

mchaggis
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:24 - 28 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the lumpiness only occur past about 3/4 throttle, and not below that?
If it's only affecting part of your throttle range, it's likely that the high end jet is a bit blocked.

There are multiple jets in your carburettor for different throttle positions, as the vacuum in the carburettor is moved around it as you change the throttle, so it sucks fuel at different rates through each one.

Basically, remove the carburettor and give it a good clean out, especially including blowing compressed air through all the jets.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:32 - 28 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carb icing? 'tis the time of year.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:20 - 28 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a problem that can occur on the CG125 also. It does sound more fuel related than anything, but do the usual checks/maintanece items first.
Check airfilter,sparkplug,HT lead, plug cap, timing etc. strip and clean the carb and all the jets. Make sure you dont have stale fuel, and that there are no kinks or blockages in the fuel line, filters, or tap that may cause fuel starvation. If everything else is ok, it could be a problem with the accelerator pump on the carb, either a blocked jet etc, or badly adjusted.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

binge
Emo Kiddy

PostPosted: 23:36 - 28 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had that problem with my Speedfight. And I found out that it was flooding out with air...
It is like if you buy a standard restricted scooter, and try to ride it without the air box on (Just an open carb) It just dies out when on full throttel...

I have a question tho. Razz
When I go to start my scooter from cold (Weather its 30*F or weather its 100*F) I have to use the choke to start my scooter.
Even if I just put it on, Let it fire up then turn it off. The choke HAS to be on for the bike to fire Confused ...

Any suggestions???

<|Binge|>
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

pipnet11
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 01:00 - 29 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
When I go to start my scooter from cold (Weather its 30*F or weather its 100*F) I have to use the choke to start my scooter.
Even if I just put it on, Let it fire up then turn it off. The choke HAS to be on for the bike to fire

I suggest its working fine. With my GS125 you could sit for hours with the choke off kicking it over, put the choke on and it starts first kick. That is what they are for, though some bikes only need them when it is really cold.
I love the girls that do, I hate the girls that dont, I hate the girls who say they will and then they say they wont, but the girl I like most of all and I think youll say Im right, is the girl who says she never has but looks as though she might. - Max Bygraves

Knisis
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 15:15 - 02 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I had a look at the spark plug and replaced the oil, but no improvement. Phoned a local dealer and arranged to have it serviced on Monday, as it's due for it's 5K service.

Knisis
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 21:42 - 06 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had bike serviced, pick it up tomorrow. Mechanic said it was a blocked carb.

mchaggis
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:17 - 07 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay, some feedback from a Workshop user and I was right. Mr. Green
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 138 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1