Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

A2 TEST ON WEDNESDAY. WHAT CAN I EXPECT?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

MrAndyD
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 11:07 - 25 Nov 2004    Post subject: A2 TEST ON WEDNESDAY. WHAT CAN I EXPECT? Reply with quote

Just completed the CBT and Theory Test, Now I have A2 test on Wednesday on a 125cc geared bike. Help... Confused

1) The centre has put me in for 4 hours training on monday, and then to do the test on wedneday (i have riden a 50cc twisty for 2 years, and a 100cc twisty for 2months) Should this be enough? I have riden geared bikes before.

2) What are the questions at the end of the test like roughly? Can i find some of these out?

3) What sorts of things can I expect on the test? I heard about having to do a u turn, which sounds easy enough, and a emergency stop without locking up. Anything else or is it just driving about, looking behind & in mirrors at the right times as per cbt?

4) Any other advice greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Andy

AcIdBuRnZ
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:51 - 25 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

[EDIT] You did ask what you can expect - lighten up, have a sense of humour [/EDIT]

Last edited by AcIdBuRnZ on 20:32 - 25 Nov 2004; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

sainttm
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 12:17 - 25 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy,

Im not the most experience of riders and have only just passed my A2 this Monday, this is what I fount out.

Quote:
1) The centre has put me in for 4 hours training on monday, and then to do the test on wedneday (i have riden a 50cc twisty for 2 years, and a 100cc twisty for 2months) Should this be enough? I have riden geared bikes before.

Not to sure on that as I only riden the 125 geared bike but I would imagine it shouldnt be too hard to pick up. You should already have the road experience and confidence.

Quote:
2) What are the questions at the end of the test like roughly? Can i find some of these out?

The tester will ask you a question about having a pillion on the back of hte bike, theres several to choose from but a typical question is ie; what might you have to adjust with having a pillion? shocks, tree pressure, head lights and mirrors.

The will ask a question before you set off about the bike aswell, normally a tell me show me. Show me how you would check the lights / indicatiors / brake lights / oil level.

Quote:
3) What sorts of things can I expect on the test? I heard about having to do a u turn, which sounds easy enough, and a emergency stop without locking up. Anything else or is it just driving about, looking behind & in mirrors at the right times as per cbt?

If its anything like mine he will check that you can pull up and pull out into traffic safely (he will also be watching for where you pull up so make sure its not a double yellow line or blocking a driveway). He will get you to walk the bike around to the other side of a road to deminstrate that you can turnt he bike in the road and then ask you to do a u turn. After that you then do the emgency stop (i had to go down the road and turn right several times to come back up the road then he just puts his hand up and you have to come to a controlled stop without skidding lossing control but still quickly.

Quote:
4) Any other advice greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Get practing with the clutch and reab brake at low speed monovours. This will help you to control the bike at slow speed through traffic and when doing the turn in the road. Also it is alot easier to ride at speed but takes skill to ride slow. A very useful skilll to learn and probably the most useful for the test.

Hope this helps,

Shane

Full Bananas
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 13:44 - 25 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I imagine you'll be fine with a four hour session under your belt, given your previous experience.

Another maneouvre you might get asked to do is to pull over on an uphill slope and then get under way again. Not difficult, but it tests your control and observation.

Best of luck anyway. Thumbs Up

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!

PostPosted: 00:25 - 26 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
........ie; what might you have to adjust with having a pillion? shocks, tree pressure, head lights and mirrors.

Laughing

On my 3 failed car tests I've been asked questions such as, how do you know if the coolant is at the right level, show me how you'd test your lights, show me how you know the horn is working, show me how you'd know your tires are in good condition.

It'll be a simple question, if you get it wrong it's only a minor or 2 minors, nothing major. *puntastic*.

Others have been asked things like show me how you'd top up your oil.

It'll be simple, don't worry about it.

Gaz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 02:51 - 26 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=36658[/url]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MrAndyD
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 12:29 - 26 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, thanks for all that, it really helps to hear what others have experienced on what is coming up next week for me.

I am confident having riden for 2 years, and so long as the geared bike isnt a total git to change up and down, then I should be ok, although i often find geared bikes a pain to get into the right gear, and/or neutral sometimes. That would not look good at the lights!

As for the questions, they seem straight forward, although sometimes that makes them appear as "trick" questions when they are not. Eek.

oh well, here goes nothing!

Thanks,
Andy

(acidburns.. wrong answer, bad timing, v.poor joke)

pipnet11
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 19:45 - 26 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be very surprised if you have any trouble with the gears. Only problem people seem to get for a while is stalling, but that happens to everyone. The gearboxes on 125 japanese bikes are usually very good, to the point where if you forget to pull the clutch in to change gear they just change anyway, try doing that on an Enfield. Laughing
I love the girls that do, I hate the girls that dont, I hate the girls who say they will and then they say they wont, but the girl I like most of all and I think youll say Im right, is the girl who says she never has but looks as though she might. - Max Bygraves
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MrAndyD
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 14:19 - 01 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay! I passed! I got 9 minors, 3 of which were for going too slow! (on 2 wheels on a icy morning, Im NOT doing 60 down a blind country lane no matter what the BSA says), but apart from that all ok. The 4 hours training were fine, but I hired the bike for another 2 hours and practised the uturn, hill start etc, and got them polished off yesterday.

It was definitely easier on a 125 honda (very easy to change gears yes!), than on a large bike for a DAS test, and Im sure being 30yrs old, and on a 125 the examiner could see I wasnt a likely nutter which may have helped.

Sure I have 2 years to wait for anything over 33bhp, but thats just fine, I cant lift a bigger bike into the garden anyway at my current house. So its L plates off the 100cc speedy-fighter, and dreams of a harley one day. hoorah!

Knisis
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 14:48 - 01 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on your pass Smile . What bike are you thinking of going for?

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 01:01 - 02 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

his speedshite 100cc

MrAndyD
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 13:41 - 02 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

well until i move house, im stuck with the speedfight 100cc. So I have a year or two to think about what to get after. Ones I am considering are...

ZZR1100
NINJA ZX 10R
AFRICA TWIN
CBR900

but as I dont know a huge deal about bikes yet, Ill need a while to weigh them up. Can anyone give any advice on the above, and similar supersports/large trailbikes style (I do like the africa twin!)

Thanks in advance

Andy

stryker
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 11:08 - 03 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats bud.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 12:00 - 03 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Get one of those bikes after getting off a Speedfight 100cc and it'd be worth buying a body bag at the same time.

Going straight to bikes that size is a good way to ensure problems, go for something in the middle rather than jumping in the deep end, get a 500cc or 600cc and use that rather than going straight to litre class bikes.

mchaggis
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:17 - 03 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have a sit on an Africa Twin if you can before you buy one. They are really huge. If you're into that road going trail bike thing, the BMW F650, Kwak KLE 500 and things are definately worth considering too.

MrAndyD
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 14:44 - 07 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Ill check those out. I am 6ft 3in tall so I should be ok on the africa twin... in fact, being tall is part of it, I want a bike that fits, rather than looking like an elephant on a biycycle with a supersports.

As for the engine size, point taken, my theory was just to go for it and save wasting time in the middle, but yeah, it might be time well spent. I nearly got killed today on a 100cc. Damn merc driver!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 147 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1