Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Help needed re. my new GPZ500

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Fallen Angel
Franny the Nanny

PostPosted: 10:36 - 07 Dec 2004    Post subject: Help needed re. my new GPZ500 Reply with quote

Just got delivered yesterday and it was free, so we were aware it was going to need a bit of work.

Apparently it was known to have an intermittent electrical fault, so we'll need to look at that for sure, once we get a manual.

When you turn the ignition on, the lights and indicators work and the horn only works slightly, so I reckon it either needs a new battery - or the battey charging at least!

When you hit the ignition switch it just doesn't tick over at all - not a peep! I take it this could be to do with the batter being dead Confused

Also, whilst fiddling around with it last night, we also noticed that it doesn't go into 2nd gear - without the engine on you should still be able to put the bike into all gears shouldn't you?? Confused Embarassed

What do you think would be the best game plan here?

Do you reckon it would be a good idea to take it to garage to find out exactly what is needing done on it and then see if we're capable of tackling the problem ourselves?

AGAIN, your help / advice is VERY much appreciated!!

Fran Thumbs Up Karma Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Demonic69
The Pink Rhino

PostPosted: 10:49 - 07 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried 2nd gear while the bike's rolling, or just while stood still?

Fallen Angel
Franny the Nanny

PostPosted: 10:50 - 07 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just while stood still - someone's just said to us that if it's stood still then it may struggle to go into 2nd though!! Thumbs Up

Last edited by Fallen Angel on 10:50 - 07 Dec 2004; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 10:50 - 07 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's been stood for a while make sure you charge the battery (An optimate is your new best friend). Otherwise try and jump it from another car battery or starter pack. This is from recent experience of a bike not starting and fixed by charging battery, new battery now on order.

Also if being stood check out the carb(s) as the petrol may have turned to gunk inside them (try carb cleaner squirted through the air box!).

Oh, and make sure it's in neutral as well to start and the kill switch is on run (ok, stating the obvious but easy to knock if not familiar with the bike and been fiddling/moving it) Rolling Eyes Very Happy

HTH Smile

Fallen Angel
Franny the Nanny

PostPosted: 10:58 - 07 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

map wrote:

Also if being stood check out the carb(s) as the petrol may have turned to gunk inside them (try carb cleaner squirted through the air box!).

Will do Thumbs Up

map wrote:
<edit>make sure it's in neutral as well to start Rolling Eyes Very Happy </edit>

It was - ya cheeky monkey!!! Wink

Ian (GPX)
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 11:04 - 07 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't even bother charging the battery, go buy a new one for £22 - £25.

The GPZ/X engines will not allow you to select 2nd gear until you are moving, this is a safety feature.

I would put in a new battery and then see if it starts or not. If it starts I'd then check that all the lights are working, this includes the brake light. Also check that the engine oil is topped up and the brakes are in working order (fluid in front brake, and if rear is a drum brake, make sure it's not binding, if it's a newer GPZ500 it will have a disc brake on the rear, again, make sure the fluid is topped up), check for leaks on all pipes (brakes, oil, water if applicable).

Next plan of action, take the motorcycle for a short trip to a motorcycle shop and ask them to check that the charging system on the bike is working, the shop should be able to do this in 10 - 15 mins with a special meter / volt/amp checker.

If all checks out, you now have the option to either buy new plugs, oil, oil filter, tyres if needed etc etc.....

You don't say if the bike has an MOT or not, if no MOT, get this done next.

OK, if the bike will not start but turns over, check all leads that goes to the coil(s) and then to the spark plugs (2), also check the spark plugs or replace them.

Also check that the engine oil is topped up.

Check to see if the fuel is fresh (not a brown colour). If the bike has been left standing for awhile, the fuel will fade, the tank will need to be drained and the carbs (2) cleaned out (serviced).
Once all that has been done, refit all the parts and put fresh fuel in tank (£2.00 will do), put fuel tap to RES or PRI, this will feed fuel to the carbs. See if bike will start, it might need a few turns with the starter motor to get the bike to fire, a small amount of choke will also aid starting the bike.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 11:16 - 07 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian (GPX) wrote:
...take the motorcycle for a short trip to a motorcycle shop and ask them to check that the charging system on the bike is working...

...or
https://www.screwfix.com/sfd/i/cat/58/p1158358_l.jpg
One of these
from Screwfix and check it yourself (might pay to order a few more things as the packing/handling charge is the same).
Save you paying the shop (if they can fit you in) and you'll have it for the future.

Thumbs Up

Demonic69
The Pink Rhino

PostPosted: 11:31 - 07 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or:
https://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=37279&TabID=1&source=15&WorldID=&doy=7m12
£2.99 from maplins Very Happy

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 11:42 - 07 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

...ok, maplin's is cheaper for the alternator tester as well (and there's 2 stores in Glasgow!) Thumbs Up Very Happy

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:52 - 07 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Ian (GPX). Buy a new battery and expect to have to do so about every 18 months if you use cheap Taiwanese batteries (eg Sprint). A sealed one should last three or four years but is three times the price (and is smaller so it rattles about in the battery box).

They have a neutral finder which prevents a stationary change into second without the engine running. If you (or rather your other half) are feeling fit, it SHOULD bump start in second even with a duff battery although if they have been sat for a while they will often only start up on one cylinder to begin with (as is common with many paralell twins).

If you change the battery and it still doesn't start, suspect the solenoid (under the left hand plastic just forward of the saddle lock). It has an integral fuse holder and is prone to corrosion round the spade connector blocks that click on to it. A known fault with the model.

Any probs, get in touch with me as I know the GPZ500s intimatley. I owned one for 4 years and put 45k miles on it. I have another one now and helped my mate do a full top-end rebuild on my old one at 60k miles earlier this year.

Fallen Angel
Franny the Nanny

PostPosted: 16:04 - 07 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, we will try all suggested tips!

Fingers crossed!!! Praying

And Scott - I will hold you that!!!! Wink
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 141 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1