Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

GP100 not starting

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Milo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:56 - 07 Dec 2004    Post subject: [HELP!] GP100 not starting Reply with quote

It's got fuel, it's got oil, it's got air, it's got all of this in the cylinder...it's got a spark and the timing's fine and it still won't bloody start! Evil or Very Mad

Before this happened it wouldn't idle at all and seemed very lumpy when pulling away and on the last journey where it was working (thankfully the one home!) it was struggling to go up a steep hill over 15mph.

I know the small end bearing needs replacement so I've got all the bits for that but I doubt that's what the problem is..?

Seems to turn over fine when kicking and trying to bump-start it.

Any ideas?

Ta much muchly.

Adam

swampy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:11 - 07 Dec 2004    Post subject: Re: [HELP!] GP100 not starting Reply with quote

Milo wrote:
It's got fuel, it's got oil, it's got air, it's got all of this in the cylinder...

Thats cool, but are they all getting squashed into a very tight space at the right time ?? Wink

Seriously,have you checked for compression ??
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Retro-Man
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 20:48 - 07 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like a cylinder rebuild is required, that small end noise might be piston slap. does it kick over very easy (no resistance)

Cheers
Retro

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 00:48 - 08 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like rebuild time.

When it was struggling, did it have a very narrow smoothish powerband and horribly rough and misfiring outside of that?

If so, its top end rebuild time, and it may well need a rebore too. Don't buy bits until you have it apart, you may well need to get an oversize piston.

Ninja
Caption Abuser

PostPosted: 11:57 - 08 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe a wee bit simpler - but is the fuel fresh? If it's any more than a week old it may have gone 'off'. Take a sniff in the tank - is the petrol smell as strong as usual?

Fresh fuel - try it ... Wink Thumbs Up

mchaggis
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:11 - 08 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ninja wrote:
maybe a wee bit simpler - but is the fuel fresh? If it's any more than a week old it may have gone 'off'. Take a sniff in the tank - is the petrol smell as strong as usual?

Fresh fuel - try it ... Wink Thumbs Up

The petrol in mine is at least a month old and it works fine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Milo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:07 - 08 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

robby wrote:
When it was struggling, did it have a very narrow smoothish powerband and horribly rough and misfiring outside of that?

Seemed okay, revs wise. It wasn't misfiring - just a big lack of power.

The fuel's fine, and if it wasn't betting squished in the right place I'd still hear something out of the ordinary I'm sure
Sounds like rebuild time to me.

I'm pretty certain it's standard bore, but I'll check before ordering new bits for it.

Cheers all for the information, I'll give it go at the weekend. Damn dark evenings - grr! Neutral

palmer
Fiddled Kiddy

PostPosted: 23:05 - 08 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

exhaust tightly on? when mine broke off it wouldnt start, but when i welded it back on it was fine Smile

(yes its a dumb sugestion)

Milo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:41 - 09 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the zorst is fine...though now the throttle assembely's snapped in half becuase it was knocked over during the day! Evil or Very Mad
I think my XJ's hiring a hitman to bugger up my little bike cos it wants all the attention! Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 142 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1