Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Squeeky rear brake

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

loply
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:16 - 07 Dec 2004    Post subject: Squeeky rear brake Reply with quote

My rear brake has started making a squeeking noise whilst im applying pressure, it didnt do this 2 weeks ago, seems to be getting worse.

Any idea what I should check first? Its a disc btw.

mchaggis
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:37 - 07 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glazed pads (shiny and smooth)? If so, take them out and sand the glaze off, they should then be right as rain if that's the problem. Alternatively, you need to take the pads out and put copper grease on their backs to stop them sticking to the pistons. I'm not entirely sure why this causes brake squeal (there are enough phd and sae papers on it in the library though. Rolling Eyes), but if both those two things are sorted out and it still squeals, I've no clue.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

loply
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:19 - 08 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

k ta, i will remove pads this weekend and inspect.

along with installing scottoil in my scottoiler

camcam
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 20:27 - 08 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

i got a freind who owns a pug vivacity his front brake was squeeking so he put wd40 on it the next morning there was no squeek and no stopping
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

palmer
Fiddled Kiddy

PostPosted: 22:31 - 08 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

oiling the brake pads... you joking?

Retro-Man
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 00:00 - 09 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

mchaggis wrote:
I'm not entirely sure why this causes brake squeal (there are enough phd and sae papers on it in the library though. Rolling Eyes),

Vibrational resonance......

mchaggis
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:30 - 09 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Retro-Man wrote:

Vibrational resonance......

Ah, I should have thought of that. Thumbs Up

The question is, which part is resonating? Obviously the disc is the driver, the pads are stuck to the pistons, so the calipers are resonating? Confused Unless the disc is... ThinkingConfused

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 01:06 - 09 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pads can resonate, they have 1 or 2 mm of lateral play. With a light hold on the brakes the pads can resonate against the disk, making a surprising amount of noise.

Generally worse on old knackered discs. One of my old cars use to have awful squeel from the rear discs, but they were scored and warped.

binge
Emo Kiddy

PostPosted: 01:44 - 09 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

It probably isnt because it only really happens with drum brakes. But if there is dust or crap on the disk it can cause it to squeek. But I think its probably the pads resonating...

How old are the brake disks and pads?

<|Binge|>
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

loply
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:16 - 09 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont know how old they are (bike was built in 97 though so obviouslly not that old!)

Anyway its likely they have been exposed to sawdust due to sanding etc in the garage, how can I clean this?

I plan to use sandpaper to scrub the glazing off the pads, what about the discs?

mchaggis
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:00 - 09 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

loply wrote:

Anyway its likely they have been exposed to sawdust due to sanding etc in the garage, how can I clean this?

I plan to use sandpaper to scrub the glazing off the pads, what about the discs?

Sandpaper should work fine, possibly clean them with brass bristled brush too. Unless the discs are warped or scored, I don't think there's really a lot to be done with them. If they're filthy, I don't see why a decent scrub up and a proper hosing down would do any harm.

Don't forget the copper grease on their backs when you put them back in though. (And don't get it anywhere near the disc/ working surface of pad if you value your life or your wallet!)
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 113 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1