Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

cg reving too hard???

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

ts50x0
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 13:36 - 14 Dec 2004    Post subject: cg reving too hard??? Reply with quote

i sometrimes take my cg up to 40mph in 3rd gear as its faster. i only do it if im overtaking or something but now im worried that might be reving it through the red line. deos anyone know if you can do 40mph in 3rd gear without redlining it? i know its only a 4 stroke single so i dont thoink it should be reved this hard.
thanks
sam Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

pipnet11
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 15:24 - 14 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a GS125 3rd redlined at 43, 4th at about 55 and you couldnt get there in 5th. CGs shouldnt be too different. Used to sit at 60 for 10 miles everymorning and afternood for about 6 month. 60 was about 8.5k revs, never harmed it.
I love the girls that do, I hate the girls that dont, I hate the girls who say they will and then they say they wont, but the girl I like most of all and I think youll say Im right, is the girl who says she never has but looks as though she might. - Max Bygraves
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ts50x0
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 16:15 - 14 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

is there any way of fitting a rev clock on there?

pipnet11
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 18:11 - 14 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably is, but I honestly have no idea how to do it.
I love the girls that do, I hate the girls that dont, I hate the girls who say they will and then they say they wont, but the girl I like most of all and I think youll say Im right, is the girl who says she never has but looks as though she might. - Max Bygraves

mr.z
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:27 - 14 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont worry about it, change the oil every 1000 miles, make sure you keep the tyres + (especially) chain in good nick and you will have no problems...

I've ridden the cg 250 miles in a day, at full speed + full throttle for most of the way, its designed to be totaly ragged to within an inch of its life, thats just how they are, I wouldn't dream of doing it on my 600 but the cg, no problem! could have done allot more with no problem, you could do the same every day, keep it in oil and petrol and you will keep going.

I miss my cg Crying or Very sad

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 18:57 - 14 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

The CG is a pushrod engine while the GS is an over head cam engine, so the CG will not rev as high.

That said I would expect a large drop in power before the engine was in danger on the CG.

You should be able to rig up some kind of rev counter.

As above, change the oil regularly and it should be fine.

All the best

Keith

Git
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 22:37 - 14 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cg engines are as tough as nails if looked after.
A freind of mine has a farm and one weekend we was trying to empty a drainage ditch with a petrol powered pump, after a few hours of pumping the engine died, after allot of thought and cunning we took and old scrap cg and ripped the engine out of it, welded a metal chassis to the cg engine and bolted the pump to it, never seen a drainage ditch empty so fast, that was 4 or 5 years ago and the cg engine is still performing well
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 135 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1