Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Rvf400 power problem

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

minesweeper
Whoah there!

PostPosted: 17:18 - 11 Dec 2004    Post subject: Rvf400 power problem Reply with quote

Basicly my battery seems to constanty be draining, no matter how long a ride i take it never holds a charge (the battery's been replaced with no change) A couple of days ago the power was so low that the neutral light refused to even come on! i jump started the bike but it kept backfiring (flames from exhaust!) the dials kept turning on and off and the engine kept cutting out. Any ideas what the exact problem could be? Rectifier?

On a brighter note the bikes finished apart from this probelm Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rory
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 17:51 - 11 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be your regulator / rectifier. If the battery is charged, does it start OK? If it'll start with a charged battery but the battery just drains during use, I'd say it's the reg / rec. They're known to be problematic on the Honda 400s.

Claud 14.7 to 1
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:17 - 11 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same problem with my cbr400.

If I use no electrics when I ride, I can just about keep the battery power "breakeven" , if you see what I mean. Its not charging, so the power will go down, but only really when I use electric start, not SO much when I ride.

I replaced the rec/reg half a year ago. It was a brand new heavy duty unit, as was expensivee: £85 Shocked

Rory, do you know how long G. France gives warrenties on new parts? Becuase if it's a year, I will get a new one, (assuming it is the rec/reg).

Once of the 3 yellow wires coming form the generator, on mine, has a very wierd high resistance rating. I will explore this. The other 2 are fine. Confused

Batt seems ok. So could mie could be A. wiring, B. Reg rec (again) Confused , or B. generator/stator

Rory
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 18:30 - 11 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Claud 14.7 to 1 wrote:
I have the same problem with my cbr400.Rory, do you know how long G. France gives warrenties on new parts? Becuase if it's a year, I will get a new one, (assuming it is the rec/reg).

No idea, you'll have to give him a bell. He may have a specific aftermarket part to replace reg/rec.

Same for you, minesweeper, you could do worse than speaking to Graeme France. It's best to phone him, contact details here;

https://www.graemefrance.com/

Claud 14.7 to 1
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:28 - 11 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rory wrote:

No idea, you'll have to give him a bell. He may have a specific aftermarket part to replace reg/rec. /

That's right, it was an aftermarket part.

minesweeper
Whoah there!

PostPosted: 16:35 - 12 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats the problem ive had before. never been quite this bad! this will be my bikes third rectifier in 2 years Crying or Very sad considering the honda parts over hundread quid.....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rory
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 17:32 - 12 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, maybe the reg/rec is a symptom rather than the problem. GIve Graeme France a phone, he's the man Smile

kevo
Cop Seeking Missile

PostPosted: 15:19 - 15 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get the bike started and put a volt meter across the battery terminals.

You should be seeing a voltage of around 14 - 14.5 at 5k revs.

I suspect you'll find it's alot lower meaning the battery is not being charged, hence the charging circuit is knackered.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 20:05 - 15 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a knackered alternator from the pair of you.

The alternator on the honda 400s isn't hugely tough, and I doubt its very powerful even in tip top condition - there are plenty of lights and things to power, and an ignition system needing good strong sparks at 14000 rpm. The engine rev up fast and hard, which is suggesting to me that the alternator isn't putting up too much resistance.

Theory out of the way, the alternator, like most things, packed up on my old VFR400. Rewound stator cost me 60 quid via elliotts of swindon, they sent it off to some guy in bath as I remember. If you have lots of time on your hands and the correct wire you could probably rewind it yourself.

Cost me 60 quid in labout getting it changed at the local shop, think that was 2 hours.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 133 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1