BCF: Bike Chat Forums

fzr 250

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

inkorea
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 16:30 - 16 Dec 2004    Post subject: fzr 250 Reply with quote

Im living in Korea and a Korean buddy of mine who owns a bike shop gave me a 1987 fzr 250.
Its in great nick cause it was in storage for about 6 years.
Anyway its taken me a few weeks of riding it to get the engine to open up but it is still very spluttery after 10,000 rpm.
But when it does eventually kick in its great. So does anyone know why this is happening and how to fix it. I really want to be able to use its full potential so any advice would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 16:52 - 16 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Would suspect the first thing to do is to give it a good service, changing the plugs, checking the valve clearances, changing the fuel filter and cleaning the carbs out. Also worth checking that the diaphragms on the carbs have not perished.

All the best

Keith

inkorea
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 17:09 - 16 Dec 2004    Post subject: fzr250 Reply with quote

Thanks Keith,
I had the carbs cleaned and the plugs changed.
I should probably change the oil filter too....but what are the diaphaghms on the carbs Embarassed

cheers

BlueNinja
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 19:11 - 16 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

If its been sitting for 6 years, it will need a good service.

Brake fluid, (Hydroscopic and absorbs water, will lead to Brake Fade)

Engine oil change, (run engine for 10 mins and heat up properly, then drain it all out)

Engine oil filter change, (get the old one off with a screw driver if its stuck, which it will be Wink )

And almost certainly a petrol drain. empty out all the old 'gone off' petrol, and replace with good fuel, with an additive such as Redex to clean the fuel system, carbs etc.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 19:29 - 16 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

On a CV carb there is a throttle that you open. As you open it you create a vacuum before the throttle, and this is used to lift up the throttle slide. The diaphragm is at the top of the slide and it is the difference in air pressure on either side of this that lifts the slide. If it has got a hole then the air pressure difference either doesn't exist or rapidly evens itself out.

All the best

Keith
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 134 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1