Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

So I want a bike.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

Moreland
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 00:05 - 17 Dec 2004    Post subject: So I want a bike. Reply with quote

Hi, im new to the forums. Been lurking a while and reading a few posts and stories, and I was recommended by a guy to come here.

Got a few questions, some not directly about bikes but Ill shoot im sure some of you will have had the same problems before and be able to help.

Ive been driving a car for 2 years, and im just getting so boried of queuing and waiting, and I've always liked bikes and had a hidden interest in them.

Two of my mates, are also getting bikes, they are a step ahead of me and have their intensive course next week, and they also both have CBTs already. Plus they are over 21 so no restriction for them, unlucky me.

One of my mates is getting a ZXR750j and the other one has a ZZR400, another not so close friend has a ZX10 too.

Now i plan to do an intensive course in late january/febuary depending on how soon I can find the funds.

My first problem is my family, my parents will not be happy about this, and I'm kinda close to them. Now its not just any old nah we dont like bikes, its pretty full on and they have reasons

My uncle was really into bikes 10/15 years ago and he had a pretty bad crash on the Isle of Man which put him in a coma for ages, and he lost some of his memory.

Unfortunatly hes not around at the moment to back me up as hes had a serious car crash in september and is still recovering in hospital. So as I said thats the first problem, dealing with them. I don't live with them so its not a big a problem as it could have been.

Second problem is what bike to get, I quite like either of the Ninjas (ZXRs) the 400 or the 600, but because ill be restricted for 1 year and a bit I don't know what to do. How will the two bikes behave when restricted? Is there a better one to go for?

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated,
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Davo
Davo To The Rescue!

PostPosted: 02:43 - 17 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and welcome to the forum, enjoy your stay. I'm assuming your around 19 years old, which means when you pass your bike test you will be restricted to 33bhp, the best kind of bike will be close to this limit already, however in your shoes I'd probably be looking towards 400cc sports bikes. I wouldn't worry about your friends riding on unrestricted bikes, most people will find that you'll be hard pressed to make full advantage of a de-restricted bike on the road.

I'm afraid I cannot help with the parents scenario as both my parent were keen bikers (dad still is), so they couldn't say anything, however everyone has heard of people they know that have been involved in a serious bike crash. It may appease your parents if you show them that you are serious and look at some decent protective gear, advanced riding course etc..

Best of luck anyway, keep us updated.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 09:40 - 17 Dec 2004    Post subject: Re: So I want a bike. Reply with quote

Moreland wrote:
had a serious car crash in september and is still recovering in hospital

Well there's your answer to that part of the problem. "Look mum and dad, Uncle Cletus got just as hurt in a car wreck as he did in a bike wreck."

You don't live with them, I presume they won't be funding it in any way... therefore it's nothing to do with them.

askew
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 11:58 - 17 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol, Bendy - I know what your life ambition should be. Before you die, you have to be the leader of a country, doesn't matter where it is.

When people come to you with huge country related problems about war and stuff you can just stand up and say..

"shut up, shut up... everyone stop acting such retards and take this compromise that leaves everyone slightly pissed off." Smile hehe

Villers
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:42 - 17 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya mate, and welcome to the forum.

I had pretty much the same problem as yourself, they didnt want me on a bike at all. I live at home and have to keep the steed in the garage too which still causes problems to this date.

After all the shouting and argueing we managed to talk civil like, they had the same fear as yours as we all know or know of someone whos been seriously hurt or worse by bikes.

My solution was to throw myself into it full tilt. I paid a smuch as I could for all my safety gear, this showed i was being sensible and mature about it. I started off on a 125 to learn how bikes are on the road. I took the plunge and did a CBT, then bikesafe (highly reccomend it) and took the full test.

At first they still werent happy but I always tell them stories of how im actively being safe, riding techniques, visibility.

I told them that this was what i wanted to do, if they loved me then they would have to let me enjoy myself. Bikings now my life and for the last year ive been a much happier and outgoing person. I think they realise that now, perhaps yours will.

Good luck mate keep us updated!

Wink

Barker-CBR 600
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 14:46 - 17 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had an uncle who did very similar mate, was out for a week and cant wait unaided anymore due to having a completly reconstructed leg. Being my mothers brother my mum still hates motorbikes, completly with a passion, but she knew that with a dad in biking and me having trialed etc when little that she couldnt keep me away for long.

Theres nothing you can say that will convince them its safe, it is dangerous and thats part of the experiance.
All you can do is get yourself the safety gear, a bike you can handle, and tell them you'll ride as safely as you can and then do so, ride as safely as you can while enjoying it.

Villers is right on the safety gear, pay as much as you can afford to pay for safety gear, not all expensive gear is better but generally the higher end of the market is going to offer better protection.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Moreland
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:16 - 17 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies so far, I don't think i will let my parents stop me as they cant, but i really dont want to upset them, ill have to be tactful.

What about bikes? Should I go for a 400 or a 600, how do they both behave when restricted?

Villers
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:22 - 17 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe set your sights a little lower to start with. Maybe a 125, theres plenty to choose from like the Aprilia RS, the Cagiva mito, then theres the 'normal' 125s like the Honda CG or the Suzuki GS. These little bikes are smaller and easier to handle at low speeds. They dont have the same weight as the bigger bikes so are less likely to catch you by suprise. I started on an RS125, they are pretty light and look amazing for a little 2 stroker plus full power is 33bhp so theyre pretty light on their feet. I moved up to a CBR600 and the difference in shifting the bigger bike around is quite large, so maybe a 125 will give you more chance to learn how to live with bikes!

Another factor is insurance Crying or Very sad

Wink

Moreland
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:25 - 17 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I despise 125s tho, and ill be making some long road trips in the summer. I dont mind the slight discomfort a sports bike has but I would hate being on a 125.

Moreland
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:32 - 17 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Insurance doesnt seem that bad, I got a quote of 1k TPTF with Bennets, on a ZXR400.

Barker-CBR 600
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 16:28 - 18 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what you said it seemed you werent over 21?

That means you would have to get a 125 anyways to practise and take your test on. So depends if you want to simply have something as a means to an end, or want it to look good along the way. (CG all the way through to NSR/RS)

And even with your test your restricted to 33BHP for TWO years not the one you origanally said. Sad

Irezumi aka Reuben
Carrot Top

PostPosted: 16:42 - 18 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be able to get an insurance of around £800tpft at least, bennetts arent the cheapest about. Also if it's too expensive consider an older version of the bike (ie early good condition L model).

Everyone take's the 33bhp restrictor out. At least after a few months when theyve got bored of it and can normally almost double their power.

Moreland
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 18:32 - 18 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barker-CBR 600 wrote:
And even with your test your restricted to 33BHP for TWO years not the one you origanally said. Sad

Im 20 in the summer, that means that ill have to be restricted for a year and a bit, then I can do my DAS Wink

Barker-CBR 600
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 19:52 - 18 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm.. aint that a tad expensive?
Doing a test and passing means you could wait the full two years, take them off and not have to do another course (i.e a DAS. which is expensive for three days training plus a test)

But yeah your right Thumbs Up thats one way of doing things.

One thing you will find on a 33BHP.

I ride a CBR600 around, and its got huge amounts of acceleration (only bested by other sports bikes off the lights) and a speed of 115mph flat out.

Thats not like a 125 or a 50 that is limited by its restriction, it has more than enough to cope with any and all road situations (such as motorways) with plenty left over and more than enough to allow me to lose my license if i get caught at that speed.

Just seems like your paying alot of money for something that your not going to use all that much, granted it'll allow you up to the 150's and a 0-60 of 3-4 seconds... but how often will you really ride it hard enough to use that?

Just seems like a few hundred pounds for something you wont use a whole lot.. when you could wait and get it for free.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 143 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1