Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

dna 50 givin me shit

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

dclshfn
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:40 - 11 Dec 2004    Post subject: dna 50 givin me shit Reply with quote

hi
ive had tha dna for a while and it always started better cold but now it's just ridiculus. she starts fine in the morning and after 5-10 minutes driving she's 4-5 bars up the temp gauge. then she misses firings under accelaration and then tops out at 45 kmh. within 5 mins of this she cuts out and won't start till she's cold. any ideas? anything appreciated

mr.z
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:50 - 11 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd try changeing...

Spark plug - Could just be an old plug playing up, worth changeing anyway, you will also get an idea of what the engine is doing by looking at the plugs (theres a spark plug guide on here, just search for it)

Spark plug lead/s + cap/s - if they have brocken down then the resistance increaces with the heat, so they stop working when they get hot, then work fine when cold again! < this is what i'd try first after checking the plugs straight after it cuts out, oily = no/bad spark = ingnition = bad plug or leads.

Air filter - If you haven't changed it yet then its worth a go, will probably help the runing anyway.

Good luck Thumbs Up

dclshfn
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:14 - 12 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

i went to take out the plug and got carried away and removed allthe panels and will start at taking the piaggio unit off tomorrow so i can work on it freely.i can see two screws at the moment on the carb, one flathead and one philips with a grip on the edge. which is for which mixture. any other info regarding air and oil delivery appreciated

simon1221
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:23 - 12 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wouldnt tamper with the mix settings unless you know what you are doing,

you dont need to take the fairing off to check the spark plug

as you put the spark plug back on make sure you put the rubber seal back on with it

km/h? dont you mean mph or is it an import?

i know that the one with the grip on is to adjust the idle speed, that wont make any difference, but the other one is to change the mixture settings when it is idleing so changing that wont make any difference, but it will make you stall at junctions if your not careful

there is another one somewhere

i had loadsa shit with the fuel intake on mine, but i reckon its the mixture settings

is it quite new? because most come with a gilera/piaggio 1 yr warranty, take it to tha garage

also buy a new plug, and clean the air filter(s) if you can be bothered

there are two air inputs, the first is the main one and the second is what they call "secondary air system"

Arrow the larger one is that black box above the pulley/kickstart box which can be cleaned by removing the phillips screws and cleaning the foam insert with water or something else

Arrow the very small one is just above the exhaust which is actually connected to it, again you can remove the screws and clean the foam, but that probably wont make any difference

it isnt anything to do with the oil settings

Very Happy hope this helps - largest post ive ever written Very Happy

Last edited by simon1221 on 21:33 - 12 Dec 2004; edited 5 times in total

pipnet11
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 21:25 - 12 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the ones Iv seen the flat one has been the pilot mixture and the gripped one the throttle stop, but that doesntmean it will be the same on yours
I love the girls that do, I hate the girls that dont, I hate the girls who say they will and then they say they wont, but the girl I like most of all and I think youll say Im right, is the girl who says she never has but looks as though she might. - Max Bygraves
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

flip z
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 00:54 - 13 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would check your mixture and, i think it sounds like you need to change your rollers if it tops out at 45....... I recently changed the rollers on my moped and it bumped the speed up by about 15 miles an hour and made the pull off allot better Razz (if you get lighter rollers it will make your pull off better but make it slightly slower at top end)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

dclshfn
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:40 - 13 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanx all for the advive i'll probably be back for more as i've decided to strip it completely and clean the jets and whatnot. it can hurt to gat all that shit off the carb either.
its not the rollers, they're solid it's the engine which won't push it past 45 ish.
im in ireland but my mate bought it in england, but i don't think it was imported to there

dclshfn
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 15:26 - 19 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

i put it all back together with a new plag and everything sparkling clean. it seemed such a shame to go out in the wet and get it filthy but it was worth it.btw if you ever think a garage has been nicking the screws from your body panels it's 'cos they couldnt be arsed. man what a nightmare

brettking24
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 15:29 - 19 Dec 2004    Post subject: did u fix it then? Reply with quote

Hi did u manage to sort out the problem cos my dna 125 is doing the same hting even after having the spark plug cap changed Sad

fn bike
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 147 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1