Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Too F****** Cold!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

DanceLikeAMon...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:59 - 28 Dec 2004    Post subject: Too F****** Cold! Reply with quote

Grrrrr. I want to go out and practise on the bike while it's early and the roads are deserted. The flip side of the peace and quiet is it is so goddamn cold!

I nipped out this morning at 7. Lasted about 5 minutes, then had to come back because I could feel my hands and head starting to go numb. (I knew my concentration was going because I kept pressing the horn instead of the indicator - the neighbours are going to love me! Embarassed )

Looks like I am going to be a fair weather biker - if I ever get a chance to learn to ride the bike that is!

No real point to this post. I just wanted to whinge!

NickD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:11 - 28 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you've got a faired bike, some good winter kit and some heated grips, you'll be fine for all but the most crappy weather. There's no point suffering until then, 'cos there are no prizes for who gets coldest.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!

PostPosted: 11:24 - 28 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been riding in the cold a fair bit, the key is good clothing.

I've got a silk balaclava thing, that was handed down from my dad when he was a fair weather bike, it's great. My jacket's got a winter lining aswell which is indispensible!

A good set of gloves and maybe a cheap set of gloves under them are also great.

boots help stop your feet freezing off too.

All these things you don't really learn until you get cold.

Gaz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

meyrick
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 12:20 - 28 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right there with you DLAM Crying or Very sad

I haven't been out since my first time because my face and hands nearly dropped off. I have made myself a breath deflector out of 5mm neoprene so hopefully next time I can have my visor all the way down, but the hands have got me stumped. I thought I had really good gloves, but they are not good enough for this weather. I have spent hours searching on the internet for an answer, but I can't find anything I can afford. I think I'm going to have to build some mini windscreens for my hands, because even the MotoX hand guards are skinny and aerodynamic (read: full of holes) these days, not to mention around £50 for a pair Shocked Same as you really, just having a moan Smile

Paul Smile

EDIT: BTW, the rest of me is fine, just the hands and face I have issues with.

JodieWodie
Reflective Banana

PostPosted: 13:05 - 28 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you have good winter gear you don't feel it.

The only trouble is...trying to make it from one's front door TO the actual bike.
I burn up !! Mr. Green
Too hot.

I have ixs textile winter gear, good lined boots, and thick winter gloves with thermal liners in them too.
I put my polarbuff halfway over my face to keep my cheeks, chin and neck warm.
Then I am lovely and toastie Thumbs Up

The coldest I have been out in on the bike is 0 degrees, and I didn't feel any cold.

I think you also build up a resistance to it. I can withstand far more wind, (the weather kind Wink )..etc.. now than I used to when I first got on the bike.

DanceLikeAMon...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:06 - 28 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just going to wait until the weather gets a bit better before I bother going out there again.

About an hour after I got home, there was a scooter crash at the roundabout at the top of my estate. Don't know how bad they were hurt, but five police cars were called and they closed off the whole roundabout! My stepdad told me about it and said it looked like the biker had slid on some ice and then been hit by a car. Glad I came back when I did! Shocked

ts50x0
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 14:17 - 28 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

also so a pair of thermal under trousers and some thermal socks are great. if you gt a foggy mask too you never have to open your visor which makes it much warmer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

DanceLikeAMon...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:09 - 28 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

My helmet came with one of those fog masks, but because I wear glasses it just makes them steam up straight away. Crying or Very sad

freestyler_onli
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:44 - 28 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bike won't even start at the moment-i dunno if it's the cold or what but i want to go out on it! Crying or Very sad

Nath
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:43 - 29 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

freestyler_onli wrote:
My bike won't even start at the moment-i dunno if it's the cold or what but i want to go out on it! Crying or Very sad

Is there a choke? Tried giving it some revs as you turn it over? My CG125 hates the cold and wont idle untill its warmed up in this weather. If you get it to start with the aid of the throttle and suffer the same problem as me, remember to be very gentle with the throttle. Because the engine's cold, it will be unresponcive so if you open it too quickly the bike will just die.

The last two times i've been out on the bike, I managed around half an hour before getting cold. Once you hit the point of being frozen, there's no way you can carry on. You just want to get home and warm up Sad Just have patience, and wait for some mild days.

DanceLikeAMon...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:27 - 29 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was nice and mild today...

... for about 20 minutes, then it started to rain!!!! Mad

I had to spend the day decorating instead!

All I want is a few days when I can go out really early before the traffic so I can practise my stopping and starting. Is that too much to ask?

NickD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:43 - 29 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

DanceLikeAMonkey wrote:

Is that too much to ask?

In England, in December.....

......Yes. Sad
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 134 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1