BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What Bike?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Milo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:40 - 24 Mar 2002    Post subject: What Bike? Reply with quote

Does anyone know when this magazine's coming out? I've been looking for this year's for ages now but have yet to find it. any websites or anything anyone knows of?

WildGoose
White Van Man

PostPosted: 20:07 - 24 Mar 2002    Post subject: hehe Reply with quote

i saw it in my tesco's last night mate, when i was buying my monthly copy of T.W.O

i like that one

ive tried performance bikes, but no others, and performance bikes was lame

there should be a mag for n00b's :-?

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie

PostPosted: 00:47 - 25 Mar 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive read a lot of bike mags and RiDE is the best by far.
Performance bikes is next best and superbike is just dire.
MCN's ok but expensive - specially when the websites free!
TWO was ok, nowt special.
UBG's good as well, theyre all riders reviews of their own bikes - usually older bikes tho.

Keen

PostPosted: 22:29 - 25 Mar 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read Bike (only cos my uncle got me a subscription for christmas) and TWO. TWO is by far the best in my opinion- it just seems to be aimed more at a younger audience of bikers.
You must be logged in to rate posts

Stevo

PostPosted: 23:29 - 25 Mar 2002    Post subject: mags Reply with quote

Fast bikes used to be the best mag in the world till the end of 98, when all the boys left. Its so shit now! Their vids kicked the arse of Performance bike vids, lame or what?
Now i read ride, cos its sensible, and gives excellent info on bike gear, tools, you name it. Its quite a laugh as well.
Superbike is ok, but not great, still the best mag to see nice ladieez on bikes tho.
I get MCN most weeks, if i can be bothered. Their web site is ok too.
Bike has good stories for travels, bike holidays etc, but their tests are crap, and they are always way out on top speed figures. (quoted my zx6r as doing 144mph tops). TWO is different, but i wouldent buy it, as i dont find it that interesting to read.
I read UBG from time to time, which is amusing especially the two stroke stories.

Milo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:42 - 26 Mar 2002    Post subject: mag's Reply with quote

If i've got the cash going spare then i get MCN every wednesday and read it in my lunch hour, missed it the last few weeks tho.
'What Bike?' is a good mag for reference, and for newbies or potential bikes buyers. it's got a load of guides. insurance/finance, training, what bike to get, security, warranties. it's also got accesories bits and pieces, in depth bike reviews and a mini-review, pic and specs of EVERY new UK bike (and ped).
I use it for reference and am always picking it up and looking at all the new bike's available today-1 whole year after i actually brought the mag!
I've tried all the local shops but still haven't found it!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Milo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:05 - 28 Mar 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well in the new MCN there's a pae addy for this spring's issue. It was released on the 27th i think so should be widespread soon. I might just order it over the phone, cos i'm lazy like that!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

TiN
Pocket Tin

PostPosted: 22:08 - 28 Mar 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought a copy of "What Bike" in my local Sainsbury's...it was the only one left though Rolling Eyes ...

...just thought that I'd share that with you... Very Happy

Tin

P.S ...Nyah, Nyah!... Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

WildGoose
White Van Man

PostPosted: 22:49 - 28 Mar 2002    Post subject: yeah Reply with quote

im only interested in learner bikes i.e 125's at the moment, cos thats where im aiming next

but there is so much difference of opinion, trying to decide what to get is numbing my brain

TiN
Pocket Tin

PostPosted: 23:05 - 28 Mar 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the opinions are always changing...What Bike? recommends both the RS and Mito over the NSR, but mainly due to the fact that the Honda has 12BHP, wheras the other two exploit the new rules of 14.7 BHP (or something like that)...

The Mito has also dropped in price, apparently, to an RRP of £3499...which is £100 less than my NSR Evil or Very Mad ...but I'm not really a fan of Dukes, so the Mito doesn't really appeal to me anyway...

I'm also a little confused by the fact that they say "difficult to derestrict"...does this mean that the 2002 model has changed from the previous models?...or does it mean that the other bikes are total piss to derestrict?...I suppose that Aprilia and Cagiva actually expect owners to derestrict soon after purchase, and so make the process much easier...kinda similar concept to the CBR600FS, which makes it easier to prepare for track racing...?...dunno...

My top tip is to visit some showrooms, ask to see what they have in stock, and if you like the look and feel of it, go for it!...or if you can't afford it from a dealer, then make a note of everything and search the papers for private sales...

Tin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

WildGoose
White Van Man

PostPosted: 23:15 - 28 Mar 2002    Post subject: its complicated Reply with quote

i found a good place

https://www.tonymoto.co.uk

they have some great prices, and seem to diregard completely the RRP

but i dont know whether to go for a tralie type bike

or a road/racer type bike

so the list is:
Kawasaki KMX 125
Yamaha DT 125
Honda NSR 125
Aprilia RS125
Aprilia ETX 125 (not listed for this year though, hmm?)
Cagiva Planet 125
Cagiva Mito Evo 125
and husqvarna have got some good 125's but im not sure about the make

HELP!!

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 23:34 - 28 Mar 2002    Post subject: its complicated Reply with quote

Wild Goose wrote:

i found a good place

https://www.tonymoto.co.uk

they have some great prices, and seem to diregard completely the RRP

but i dont know whether to go for a tralie type bike

or a road/racer type bike

so the list is:
Kawasaki KMX 125
Yamaha DT 125
Honda NSR 125
Aprilia RS125
Aprilia ETX 125 (not listed for this year though, hmm?)
Cagiva Planet 125
Cagiva Mito Evo 125
and husqvarna have got some good 125's but im not sure about the make

HELP!!

Hi

Tinymoto do imports, so given the problems people have with imported NSRs be careful

The Planet is a nice looking bike, but with no fairing it is more difficult to keep looking clean. Harder to damage if you drop it, but then if you drop it hard enough to scuff the frame then you cannot hide it behind the fairing (and the insurance company would probably right it off if you were fully comp)

The ETX is, from memory, very tall. Far taller than the KMX or DT, both of which are fairly old bikes now.

All the best

Keith

Stevo

PostPosted: 23:36 - 28 Mar 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi mate, well i have ridden a fair few 125 trail bikes, and i had a KMX for a year. The best by a small margin of the 125cc trail bikes is the DT125R. Its better than the KMX in some ways, but only because its a newer design by a couple of years. Remember these bikes have been around for about 12-13yrs now largely unchanged through that time. Out of your list i would go for a new KMX as they look good, and go well when de restricted. They are as well built as any other jap trailie, and they can be had new for around £2200, which is cheap compared to some 125's. I question people why they buy a new NSR125 as if they pay £3000 or more, then that is not good value for just a 125cc bike. Three grand buys alot of decent sports bike, so all The Mito's and such like are such a waste of cash. The Aprilia ETX i dont know much about. It has an RS engine, so maybe it can be de restricted the same way as an RS125?
If you go for a KMX you get a proper well built bike, thats not a titchy cramped race rep, and its so much fun. You can ride it on or off road, as its fairly good at either, and if you get bored you could always convert it to a super moto, and improve the suspension and brakes, for less than it would cost to buy a sports 125 new. A supermoto 125 would leave any sportsbike 125 for dead in traffic, or tight twisty roads. Its an easy 125 to de restrict, and in my opinion, you are getting far more value for money that you would with an NSR,RS,Mito.
Your call though.
Steve.

WildGoose
White Van Man

PostPosted: 01:51 - 30 Mar 2002    Post subject: yeah Reply with quote

its mainly the look of the sports bike i like

i mean teh Mito looks like a996 Ducati and that cant be bad

do the trailies do 80+mph
cos then i will be happy

then get a bigger bike 2 years later

taz110776
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 14:22 - 30 Mar 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy i got my 2002 nsr125 from taz motorcycles and cost me 2995 on the road and yes its a import but they told me it comes of the same line as the uk spec bikes so im happy all the best

Stevo

PostPosted: 18:57 - 01 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most 125 trail bikes go ok. a 12hp restricted will do between 62-70mph, and they go ok in town cos of the low gearing. De restricted most of them are geared for 80-85mph. I got some info on the KMX, and when de restricted on std gearing its good for 81mph with a 0-60 of about 7 sec. If you go up to a 15t gearbox sproket then it allows a max of 87mph, and just under 9 sec 0-60. Basically you can increase top speed, but it reduces the acceleration. The DT and CRM 125's have similar performance, in reality you arnt gonna get left behind by sports 125's, unless you are going flat out for a few miles. A Mito/NSR/RS might touch 100mph, but it takes a long time to work up to that speed, where as the trailie will get up to speed much faster, even if it's 10-15mph slower at the top end.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 22 years, 29 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1