Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Opinions on the Hyosung Gt125 Comet please..

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

wilzon3r3
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 20 Feb 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:04 - 15 Feb 2014    Post subject: Opinions on the Hyosung Gt125 Comet please.. Reply with quote

Ok, so I'm thinking of purchasing a Hyosung Gt125 Comet 2010 plate..

Would just simply like people's opinions, or experiences of the bike if they've owned one. For example. Reliabilty, Engine, Any Problems.

Cheers
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar



Joined: 16 Aug 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:04 - 15 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a Hyosung. It will turn into a pile of rusty dust within 5 years if you take care of it...
____________________
trevor saxe-coburg-gotha:"Remember this simple rule - scooters are for men who like to feel the breeze on their huge, flapping cunt lips."
Triumph Sprint ST 1050
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer



Joined: 24 Feb 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:08 - 15 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone said the only importer has ceased trading which would worry me somewhat in the event I needed something other than basic consumables.

Other than that, there are very few stories of terminal destruction, in fact they have a pretty good reputation for reliability.

I haven't heard they are rust prone, but then Suzuki have a shit reputation in that area but my busa was fine. It's how much effort you put into looking after it I suppose.

Personally I wouldn't touch anything that doesn't have at least a modicum of dealer support.
____________________
Victory Cross Country American tractor.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:05 - 15 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Someone said the only importer has ceased trading

Ceased trading in Hysongs.

Polarbear wrote:
Other than that, there are very few stories of terminal destruction, in fact they have a pretty good reputation for reliability.

Eh?

I've heard anecdotally that they've had improvements made over time (terminally destructing cam chain tensioners, for example), but the 2006 one I worked on was a real mess. Swing arm rotted from the inside, exhaust rotted and seized solid in the head, instrument panel shagged, electrics corroded, rear brake master cylinder seized solid, and that's just what I can remember offhand.

You can get parts, but they're not cheap and half of them are salvage.

tl;dr version - needs to be really cheap and in genuinely good nick.
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Quornholio This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar



Joined: 16 Aug 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:13 - 16 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mk1GSF wrote:

Oh, and just to add, I have an RT125 Karion sat in the shed, in a state of dissassembly. But that's down to a carb issue (overflow pisses fuel out when running, likely an easy fix that I keep putting off) Rolling Eyes


Probably the only thing that stops the whole thing rusting...
____________________
trevor saxe-coburg-gotha:"Remember this simple rule - scooters are for men who like to feel the breeze on their huge, flapping cunt lips."
Triumph Sprint ST 1050
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar



Joined: 16 Aug 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:15 - 16 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be frank, the Italians must be loving the fact that the Chinese are joining the bike market.

A 4 stroke chink engine makes a 2 stroke italian engine look reliable.
____________________
trevor saxe-coburg-gotha:"Remember this simple rule - scooters are for men who like to feel the breeze on their huge, flapping cunt lips."
Triumph Sprint ST 1050
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:33 - 16 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time out, mister. Hyosung are Korean (all look the same, right?) and the engines are actually quite nice, apart from the early CCTs.
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Quornholio This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.
twistedlemon This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Confusing). Unhide this post / all posts.

lihp
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 Sep 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:39 - 21 Feb 2014    Post subject: Re: Opinions on the Hyosung Gt125 Comet please.. Reply with quote

twistedlemon wrote:

Avoid.

They're cheap imitations of Hondas made with poor quality parts. And while Hyosung is generally regarded as a better Chinese bike, it's still a Chinese bike.

Save yourself the time and money and stick with a Yamaha/Honda for the same money.


How very wrong are you Laughing

Hyosung are Korean and not Chinese, so no it's not a Chinese bike.

They're also not imitations of Honda's, they're based off Suzuki running gear. Hyosung were also contractors to Suzuki for various parts manufacture.

The team behind Hyosung's were also part of a few Suzuki projects.

Not that any of them makes them amazing bikes, but for 125cc, the offerings from Honda at the moment, I don't think a Hyo125 is any worse of a choice than a Honda.

And if you're 6ft+ and want something, then the Hyosung 125s are a good choice as there only a hand full of bikes that match the physical size of the Hyosungs
____________________
covent.gardens: lihp is my most favourite member ever
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:20 - 21 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, that. It never fails to amaze me all the subject matter experts who can't tell one bunch of Orientals from another[*].

Hyosungs should be up to the quality you'd expect (but probably not get) from a Japanese branded bike, but don't bank on that, and particularly don't pay for it. They always asked crazy money for the 125s, which is probably why the importer has given up on them.

[*] I don't claim to be a subject matter expert, but I do try and avoid the worst slitty eyed gaffes.
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

daemonoid
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:04 - 21 Feb 2014    Post subject: Re: Opinions on the Hyosung Gt125 Comet please.. Reply with quote

wilzon3r3 wrote:
Ok, so I'm thinking of purchasing a Hyosung Gt125 Comet 2010 plate..

Would just simply like people's opinions, or experiences of the bike if they've owned one. For example. Reliabilty, Engine, Any Problems.

Cheers


Well, I'll go against what has been said... I had a 125 comet and a gt250r. Essentially I liked the comet so much that I thought the 250 was a great idea for my next 2 years...

I'd have another too... in fact I'd still have the old one if I hadn't put it into a tree.

Both of mine were kept on street and I didn't suffer from rust. I got to the point where I was maintaining the 250 myself and had none of the problems Roger did with his 06 (and mine was the same pre-efi model but an 07).

Parts are easily available from startright or https://www.richardhyosunggvgt.com/

Listen to me or Roger... we have differing viewpoints but we have first hand experience. All this eastern bike bashing is hear say nonsense in Hyosung's case.
____________________
current: ducati monster 750
past: hyosung gt250r, bajaj pulsar 180, hyosung gt 125 comet
@thomasgarrard | www.straitjkt.com | www.racingseven.com
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:27 - 21 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should stress that it wasn't my 06, it was a workmate's that I agreed to help him "just tidy up a bit". Doh!

To be fair, it had been sitting around outside for over a year (possibly well over), the bits that weren't borked were actually very nice, I do like the engine, and they are proper sized bikes - I reckon the 125 is bigger than a GPZ500, at least from the seat.

I'll should emphasis that I do mean that if you can find one cheap and in good nick then it might be worth having - just don't pay through the nose for a fixer-upper.
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

twistedlemon
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 09 Feb 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:40 - 23 Feb 2014    Post subject: Re: Opinions on the Hyosung Gt125 Comet please.. Reply with quote

PhilDawson8270 wrote:
twistedlemon wrote:

Avoid.

They're cheap imitations of Hondas made with poor quality parts. And while Hyosung is generally regarded as a better Chinese bike, it's still a Chinese bike.

Save yourself the time and money and stick with a Yamaha/Honda for the same money.


How very wrong are you Laughing

Hyosung are Korean and not Chinese, so no it's not a Chinese bike.

They're also not imitations of Honda's, they're based off Suzuki running gear. Hyosung were also contractors to Suzuki for various parts manufacture.

The team behind Hyosung's were also part of a few Suzuki projects.

Not that any of them makes them amazing bikes, but for 125cc, the offerings from Honda at the moment, I don't think a Hyo125 is any worse of a choice than a Honda.

And if you're 6ft+ and want something, then the Hyosung 125s are a good choice as there only a hand full of bikes that match the physical size of the Hyosungs


Well, he wanted opinions, so he got mine. AVOID. Smile
____________________
2013 Triumph Daytona 675
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Jonathan A
Crazy Courier



Joined: 23 Jun 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:25 - 23 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I owned a 2011 GT125 for about 9 months, and I have to say it was very good. The build quality was good-rode it through a winter without a spot of rust forming, it would sit at 70mph, and could be pushed to an indicated 80mph with a slight tailwind, and it was nice to have a 125 that was the size of a 'big bike'.

I now have a 2007 Hyosung GT650R. The build quality of the 125 was better than the 650 (which had 5000 miles on the clock when I bought it).

The only downside of Hyosungs, in my opinion is the lack of parts availability in the UK, and the poorer quality of the older models.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

daemonoid
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:04 - 24 Feb 2014    Post subject: Re: Opinions on the Hyosung Gt125 Comet please.. Reply with quote

twistedlemon wrote:
Well, he wanted opinions, so he got mine. AVOID. Smile


https://www.rottenecards.com/ecards/rottenecard_7337764_zjgcy9mgzb.png
____________________
current: ducati monster 750
past: hyosung gt250r, bajaj pulsar 180, hyosung gt 125 comet
@thomasgarrard | www.straitjkt.com | www.racingseven.com
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

map
Mr Calendar



Joined: 14 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:18 - 24 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to make me an offer on my lad's with a bent frame (MOT fail) drop me a PM. Exhaust needs some work also (plus some other bits, I can check).

In the plus side Startright on Leeds have a jig to straighten. Delivered with strip down front end ballpark £100. I just don't have transport to get it there and back.
____________________
...and the whirlwind is in the thorn trees, it's hard for thee to kick against the pricks...
Gibbs, what did Duckie look like when he was younger? Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Quornholio This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Intruder_Andy
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 23 Jun 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:24 - 26 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parts can be a pain to find, I know, I'm rebuilding a comet 125 bought as a frame and engine with wheels for £200. Took about 6months to source all the bits I needed to rebuild which I did to make sure it ran, then stripped all apart again so I can respray it all.

Aside from hard to find parts though, I think they're good for what they are, better than Chinese, not as good as Jap but I'm 6ft2 and as mentioned in an earlier post these are a good size bike for a 125 and you don't feel quite as unstable/vulnerable on the road as you would on say a CG125, feels much more solid and controllable.

Andy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 12 years, 219 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.11 Sec - Server Load: 1.6 - MySQL Queries: 16 - Page Size: 122.08 Kb