Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Holiday

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
 Topic moved: from General Bike Chat to Touring & Exploration by Korn (9 Nov 2005 - 18:54)
View previous topic : View next topic  

barnhatter
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 13:04 - 07 Jan 2005    Post subject: Holiday Reply with quote

Hi I am new here been biking for many years (old git)
I am planning to relive my youth a bit and travel to Europe next spring. Does anyone know of any must visit place to aim for approx 4 days away. I am not that bothered with race tracks but like old towns and good nightlife.
Barnhatter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser

PostPosted: 17:54 - 07 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmn you're not going to get far in 4 days unless you seriously abuse the autoroutes. Guess that's Northern/Mid-France / Belgium / Holland etc.

instigator
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:00 - 07 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking at approximately a week away and even I think thats pushing it. Mostly france is what I'll do this spring, you dont want to be in too much of a hurry everywhere.

That isnt what I envisaged touring to be about. Well, not ALL of it Wink

If you can, I thoroughlly recommend Nice. No idea what its like on a bike, but just as a place, its blimmin' great Thumbs Up

barnhatter
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 18:12 - 07 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry was not too clear
I aim to be away for 10 days 4 days to get somewhere 2 days stop and 4 days to get back.
I am thinking of camping as I did that last time 17 years ago, are cheap hotels easy and available?
Has anyone any advice?
Barnhatter.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser

PostPosted: 18:17 - 07 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.hotelformule1.com

Average cost is around 18 quid a room, which sleeps 2-3. Available pretty much anywhere in France and you can arrive what time you like as long as you've pre-booked.

You could easily get to South coast of France in 4 days, taking the scenic route too through the Alps.

barnhatter
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 18:40 - 07 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the address I have added it to my favorites.
I might use them instead of camping.
Are the hotels in towns or by roads ?

Barnhatter.

instigator
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:56 - 07 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

£18 a room??? bargain...Very Happy!!!

Maurice, what were your french speaking skills like? Mine's decent to get by, I could probably ask to book a room and ask for breakfast and stuff like that, where there any situations where you or mike wished you were slightly more fluent?

How did you prebook your hotel rooms? Just from recommendation on a website and email them?

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser

PostPosted: 19:21 - 07 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hotels are by roads and in towns, depends really. They're quite popular with van couriers.

You can book online. If you find out say at 3pm you can't make it, you can cancel your booking and not lose any money as long as you phone them or cancel on the website before 5pm on the day (I think, could be 7pm).

I did this once last year when it became obvious we weren't going to make it, just phoned my dad and got him to cancel on the website.

I think you have to get there before 9ish if you want to see the receptionist or don't have a credit/debit card. After that you can arrive any time you like and stick your card in the machine outside - it then allocates you a code to get into your room. I'd advise booking first if you're going to arrive late in case it's full.

This reminds me, another thing to watch is that you're credit card company may cancel your card unless you tell them you're going abroad. This happened to me when we arrived at the Formule1 in Gap at around midnight Evil or Very Mad Luckily I had a print-out with me and was able to use my debit card. (The debit card didn't get cancelled until I got back Rolling Eyes)

My French is GCSE 'B' grade stuff Razz i.e. not great Laughing
It was pretty easy to get by to be honest, took an old phrase book as well that helped a lot. It provided some entertainment too, the 'Dating' section included the classic 'Do you come here often?' etc Laughing

The Tot
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:39 - 07 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

barnhatter - You'll love Austria - the roads are sublime, pretty good conditions ( i went when it was snowing). Cept the only downfall is that it'll probably take you 2 days to remotely get you anywhere near the border - Salzburg & Insbruck make good options if you ain to go to Switzerland and Southern Germany. If by extending your trip you can make Austria a possibility, i'd definately recommend - i mite go there too during a summer break in uni with my bike this time (no - i won't be touring on an XR 125 Confused ). Vienna is a cultured city, has plenty of hip bars etc and fluid nightlife. Other old cities in that region within easy reach = Budapest Thumbs Up (been there and it's marvellous), Bratislava (only 60km away from Vienna) or Brno. This area is very enchanting and i'd say it's definately worth your time and money. Ze Austrians speak very good english and you can easily order anything/communicate with your GCSE German (if not embarrasingly). Top stuff.

Titot
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

aqualung1
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 22:17 - 07 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

barn looking at your profile i see you would probably go harwich

holland very nice and people veryb friendly ( and language not too bad) from there wherever you feel..

whatever you do do not overplan, leave lots of time for "oooh might see that moments"

enjoy wherever you go
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 106 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1