Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Dunno What To Do

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

WildGoose
White Van Man

PostPosted: 22:20 - 31 Mar 2002    Post subject: Dunno What To Do Reply with quote

i would love a 125 sports like the NSR, RS or Mito

but they are so pricey and for a grand or so more, you can get a respectable 600

so some advice from anyone would be good

should i just stick with my little sr50 for two years then buy a bigger bike, maybe i could upgrade my 50 a bit to get another 10 or so mph out of it, only problem is i cant use motorways

should i go for a trail bike type thing to see me through years, like the KMX or DT, are they any good, how fast do they go?

or should i buy a sports 125? cos they look cool and are fast, but they seem to have reliability problems compared to bigger bikes, i guess because they are always running at high revs when you want to go fast

i dont know, any advice, anyone been in my situation before?

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 22:41 - 31 Mar 2002    Post subject: Dunno What To Do Reply with quote

I'd definatley get a bigger bike... a second hand NSR or trail bike will be loads better and more fun :).
IMHO go for a second hand bike in the £1K-£2K range... hopefully you shouldn't lose too much in resale value... make sure you get one that can be deristricted though.

As far as reliability goes my NSR hasn't given me any problems... even starting first time after being left in the garage for a few months over winter. The only non crash related problems I've had have been with the chain, which has streched significantly (seems to happen to all my bikes though, funny that :) ).

Oh yeah I got my ZX6R for £3775; Yreg 9000m loads of accessories... not much more than a new NSR.

Phil.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:07 - 31 Mar 2002    Post subject: nsr or bigger Reply with quote

if you can afford it get a bigger bike. If you get an NSR you'll only want a bigger bike in a few months.

I bought a SV650s Y reg 2500m for £3,700 not much more than a new NSR either...when ya think, you can get a Y reg ZX6R for about the same as a NSR, it makes you feel you've been ripped off when buying a bike half the speed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Dan
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 23:54 - 31 Mar 2002    Post subject: 1 Reply with quote

get a dt or something for a while get used to the speed they are so much fun and u get pick good ones up for a grand, don't keep the 50 they are so slow! then get the big one Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Scooby
Scrappy Doo

PostPosted: 23:58 - 31 Mar 2002    Post subject: i agree here Reply with quote

I agree you should get a DT or something.

A jump from your SR50 straight to a 600 in a couple of years time might be a bit foolish.........12 time the cylinder capacity.........god knows how much faster acceleration........and from your SR50 you are near enough quadrupling the top speed Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Stevo

PostPosted: 18:40 - 01 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, m8 i have a scoot and my advice is get rid of yours, you would be better off with a bike, and to make an sr50 go fast would cost loads. A kid who works with my m8 has an NRG50 (70cc kitted) that does 75mph but whats the point? Just get a half decent secondhand 125, the type of 125 depends on what you wanna use it for, and just what style of bike you prefer. Personally id go for a trailie, as they are fun, fastish, and are cheaper to buy and repair damage than a sports 125. A KMX or DT is fine, or you could get an old sports 125 like a TZR/NS etc. Id steer clear of new 125's as they aint worth the money, and as people say you can get a very good big bike for the same cash.
You must be logged in to rate posts

WildGoose
White Van Man

PostPosted: 20:38 - 01 Apr 2002    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

thanks a lot guy

its really helps being able to talk to people about this

every time i talk to my parents they go ape shit saying im obbsessive etc and should concentrate on my school work

and im inclined to agree about the new 125's

very pricey for what they are

Phil.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:42 - 01 Apr 2002    Post subject: biast Reply with quote

Me and G have both got bigger bikes and we said buy bigger

Dan, Scooby and i assume stevo have all got smaller and said buy smaller. So i guess were bein a bit biast on that one.

They make a good point though. Jumping off a 50 to a 600 is a bit much, you'd have to get a 33bhp restrictor in it so its not much worse than getting on a full power NSR.

If money was no object then the sensible option would be to learn on a NSR then go onto a bigger bike but you lose quite abit of money doing that.

Have you got your full licence yet?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

WildGoose
White Van Man

PostPosted: 22:26 - 01 Apr 2002    Post subject: soon Reply with quote

as soon as i can, im doin it

how much is it likely to cost, for like a few days training and the test btw?

Dan
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 23:18 - 01 Apr 2002    Post subject: biast Reply with quote

SummY wrote:

Me and G have both got bigger bikes and we said buy bigger

Dan, Scooby and i assume stevo have all got smaller and said buy smaller. So i guess were bein a bit biast on that one.

but summy u didn't go from a 50 scooter to a 00 did u? 'm just saying its a big step and in that year he may as well get some experience on something a bit bigger and faster. I'm going for a 600 onces i have had my full licene for a year ( in nov) looking forward to it.

Phil.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:29 - 02 Apr 2002    Post subject: re Reply with quote

Dan wrote:
'm just saying its a big step and in that year he may as well get some experience on something a bit bigger and faster

Yea i understan that your saying dan but its the more costly option

Myself wrote:
They make a good point though. Jumping off a 50 to a 600 is a bit much, you'd have to get a 33bhp restrictor in it so its not much worse than getting on a full power NSR.

If money was no object then the sensible option would be to learn on a NSR then go onto a bigger bike but you lose quite abit of money doing that

As for how much your full test cost depends on what test you will be going for are you younger than 21? Have you got your full driving licence also, if you have you wont have to do a bike theory

TiN
Pocket Tin

PostPosted: 10:10 - 02 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Have you got your full driving licence also, if you have you wont have to do a bike theory

Oh, hell yeah you DO need to do a bike theory regardless of whether you have a full driving license or not...if you had a full license, and you did your bike test before Feb 2001, then you'd be exempt, but the rules have changed now Evil or Very Mad

Tin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 14:01 - 02 Apr 2002    Post subject: re Reply with quote

I actually meant bigger than 50.. so 125. But if you can get insured on a 400 or somethin then it's probably worth doing it.

Providing your carefull with the throttle around corners it shouldn't be too bad (especially restricted to 33hp). You're pretty ulikley to go over the front/back so the major problem is throttle control while cornering and I've come off 125s a few times by putting to much power down in a corner (usually in the wet).
Providing you're carefull and ride smoothly to start with the power isn't that lilkley to hurt you. Just be /very/ carefull in the wet and don't even consider ice etc. :)

Phil.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:41 - 02 Apr 2002    Post subject: theory Reply with quote

Tin wrote:
Oh, hell yeah you DO need to do a bike theory regardless of whether you have a full driving license or not...if you had a full license, and you did your bike test before Feb 2001, then you'd be exempt, but the rules have changed now

I did my bike test on 13/6/01. Then did my car on 23/1/02 and did no extra theory. So whether it doesn't work both ways i'm not sure..If it is i'm glad i did it this way, saved me a theory

TiN
Pocket Tin

PostPosted: 17:37 - 02 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I did my bike test on 13/6/01. Then did my car on 23/1/02 and did no extra theory. So whether it doesn't work both ways i'm not sure..If it is i'm glad i did it this way, saved me a theory

Oh, I see, yes, I think that it might be different that way round...but car drivers need to take an additional theory test... Evil or Very Mad ...I see it as a waste of £15.50 and 5 mins of my time!

Tin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Scooby
Scrappy Doo

PostPosted: 14:21 - 03 Apr 2002    Post subject: lol Reply with quote

All I know is I asked my driving instructor and I told him I had done my bike theory test and he said it is more or less the same and I don't need to take an additional one before I take my car test....

TiN
Pocket Tin

PostPosted: 14:43 - 03 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the rules are different for bikers going to cages, you don't need to do another a theory test...but a cager going to a bike must do another theory test...

Tin
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 22 years, 28 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1