|
|
| Author |
Message |
| Irn-Bru |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Irn-Bru World Chat Champion

Joined: 13 Aug 2009 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 19:56 - 18 Jul 2014 Post subject: Tyre choices for my mountain bike for the road |
 |
|
I'm mostly just a cycle route warrior and so the knobblie type tires on my Gt Agressor (edit) are pointless and just slowing me down. The types of cycle routes I use range from paths to gravel but I'm sure I'd be fine on 100% road tyres, I've seen loads of people on road bikes, mostly flying past me of course Obviously I am using the wrong type of bike but it's practically brand new (done less than 150 miles on it) and I'm not getting rid any time soon. I just lock the forks and it seems alright.
https://i.imgur.com/vUhtu.jpg
(wish it was this clean at the minute)
On the flat I can cruise at around 14 - 15mph, I reckon road tyres would add a few to that, at least that's what I hope. ____________________ KTM 990 SMT & Suzuki DR-Z 400 SM
Last edited by Irn-Bru on 20:40 - 18 Jul 2014; edited 1 time in total |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| carvell |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 carvell Scuttler

Joined: 05 Sep 2003 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Ste |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Ste Not Work Safe

Joined: 01 Sep 2002 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 20:16 - 18 Jul 2014 Post subject: |
 |
|
https://www.wiggle.co.uk/continental-travel-contact-city-mtb-tyre/
I got on really well with those and never had any punctures when using them, whilst initially sceptical about the 'puncture protection technology' as much confidence grew I no longer bothered riding around broken glass on roads or towpaths.
My only gripe was the grip in the wet wasn't great. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| BumpingUglys |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 BumpingUglys Trackday Trickster

Joined: 12 Oct 2010 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 20:27 - 18 Jul 2014 Post subject: |
 |
|
Before we start, that's a GT Aggressor, not a Carrera GT
Anyway, I've got some Specialized Nimbus 1.5 dedicated road tyres that are lovely for what they are, very fast for the tarmac, but they make my bike look like shit, so I don't use em...
In the past I've used Panaracer Mach SS 1.95, which would eat up tarmac and light trails, but were puncture prone due to their light weight.
Currently I'm using Kenda Small Block 8 1.95, which are an XC tyre, and a bit heavier, but they're pretty sturdy and fast on tarmac. These are a good compromise of the weight/function/look in my eyes.
For off road, I use Panaracer Fire XC Pro 2.1, but on tarmac those things are slow, don't corner well, and above all, bloody noisy. I'd generally avoid anything over 1.95 for road use. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Irn-Bru |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Irn-Bru World Chat Champion

Joined: 13 Aug 2009 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 20:44 - 18 Jul 2014 Post subject: |
 |
|
That shows how much I know about bikes
That's another thing I hate about the tires it has, cornering is a bit hairy on tarmac. Not really bothered about looks or noise etc. How much do a typical set of tires go for? ____________________ KTM 990 SMT & Suzuki DR-Z 400 SM |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| BumpingUglys |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 BumpingUglys Trackday Trickster

Joined: 12 Oct 2010 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 21:06 - 18 Jul 2014 Post subject: |
 |
|
They generally go from £10 to £as much as you can afford.
Have a look at Chain Reaction (sorted by mtb 26" road tyres, cheapest first). Those guys have been spot on for bits over the years. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Irn-Bru |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Irn-Bru World Chat Champion

Joined: 13 Aug 2009 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 16:13 - 19 Jul 2014 Post subject: |
 |
|
Decided I couldn't be bothered to order online so just went to Halfords and bought a set of which I had heard of online (Schwalbe City Jet 26 x 1.5).
https://i.imgur.com/N5yBkrP.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/iRuFmWc.jpg
Looks quite dodgy especially with the mud guards but don't really care, steering feels light as fook and rolls very nicely now when I tested it around the block, started pissing down soon after of course. Also barely any road noise, the knobbies were very loud. I'll have to use my bell more often now usually people hear me coming
One thing I am curious about is the tire says 80psi on the side but I stopped at 55 as it was rock solid. Same for the off road tyres they said 55 or 65 but I didn't dare put over 40 in. ____________________ KTM 990 SMT & Suzuki DR-Z 400 SM |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| stinkwheel |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 stinkwheel Bovine Proctologist

Joined: 12 Jul 2004 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 17:26 - 19 Jul 2014 Post subject: |
 |
|
I'm a fan of schwalbe tyres and use them on my own bikes.
Pump them up to the max. If it's rattling your teeth out, let some out.
If they are pumped up hard, it'll be easier to pedal and less likely to get a puncture.
If you find you're spinning out on it, you might be able to rock a smaller casette on it. to give you some higher range gears. I think you have a 14-34. You could probably fit an 11-28 in its place for around £15. ____________________ “Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Irn-Bru |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Irn-Bru World Chat Champion

Joined: 13 Aug 2009 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 19:24 - 19 Jul 2014 Post subject: |
 |
|
There's usually a fair amount of gravel sections on the routes I use so I think 55 will suit me fine, we will see. The mini pump I carry with me is rated up to 120psi so I can adjust on the go anyway.
Whilst in Halfords I spotted these:
https://www.ergon-bike.com/us/en/product/gp5
yay or nay? Bit pricey but look comfy. ____________________ KTM 990 SMT & Suzuki DR-Z 400 SM |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Rigga |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Rigga World Chat Champion

Joined: 29 Nov 2012 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Ste |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Ste Not Work Safe

Joined: 01 Sep 2002 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 20:20 - 19 Jul 2014 Post subject: |
 |
|
Schwalbe Marathon Winter tyres are amazing fun and are highly recommended.
Cycling past cars that are wheel spinning on black ice is lulz.  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| stinkwheel |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 stinkwheel Bovine Proctologist

Joined: 12 Jul 2004 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 21:48 - 19 Jul 2014 Post subject: |
 |
|
Lot of money for a plastic bar end and a grip...
I personally do like extra hand positions but you could get a set of conventional alloy bar ends for under a tenner.
Actually, you can get ergonomic, carbon fibre ones for £40.
Stop buying bike stuff from halfords. 1) They on the whole know nothing about bicycles* and 2) They are overpriced.
The only thing halfords have going for them is that they are open for long hours, carry a reasonable stock and there is usually one nearby.
Try here
* Just this minute got off the phone from a friend who put her cyclocross bike into halfords for a service. They had it 10 days and when it came back it wouldn't select gears and was skipping teeth. They took it back and fiddled some more. Next time out her (new) chain snapped. They have had it for a total of three weeks. Whatever they did fucked her FSA chainset (which takes a lot of doing) and her rear mech. They have landed up replacing her entire groupset and have gone through four chains! From what she says I strongly suspect they initially fitted the wrong type of chain (I suspect a 7-speed chain on a 9-speed casette) or a directional chain the wrong way round, compounded the error by making it too short then persisted in fucking with it to make it work until they had wrecked the entire transmission.
The only good bit is she has not had to pay for it. ____________________ “Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Ste |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Ste Not Work Safe

Joined: 01 Sep 2002 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 22:00 - 19 Jul 2014 Post subject: |
 |
|
Some of the Halfrauds Bike Hut people do know their stuff, student aged people in my experience.
I'd agree with Mr Stinky about not buying stuff from them, although with some haggling you can get reasonable enough price. This is haggle with the student people who know their stuff and also know how expensive the off the shelf prices are.
Chain Reaction Cycles, Wiggle or Evans Cycles are all good bets. They all have free delivery so just order from whoever is cheapest and it makes no difference to you if your stuff is split over deliveries from the three.
Also, don't forget the cashback. Chain Reaction cashback, Evans cashback and Wiggle cashback. (there aren't referral links) |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Irn-Bru |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Irn-Bru World Chat Champion

Joined: 13 Aug 2009 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 12:56 - 21 Jul 2014 Post subject: |
 |
|
Well that's me sold, knocked 25 minutes off my usual route and increased my average speed by ~3mph Need to add more air in the tyres I think and raise my saddle a few CM. ____________________ KTM 990 SMT & Suzuki DR-Z 400 SM |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 12 years, 78 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|