Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

YBR 125 fuel capacity?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

Mirey
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 22:36 - 14 Sep 2014    Post subject: YBR 125 fuel capacity? Reply with quote

I'm pretty confused at the moment. Apparently the fuel capacity is 13 litres, but I've let it get pretty low - not quite touching but near enough. I then go and fill it up, but I can only put in about 6.25 litres. Turn it on and it says the tank is full.

Curiously as well, the first quarter seems to drop much quicker than the last 3.

The thing I'm most confused about is that I've seemingly only used 6.25 litres and yet I've just done 170 miles... a supposed 120mpg... that just seems way too high...

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:42 - 14 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Fuel gauges lie.
2. Fuel gauges are linear, but tank shapes are not.
3. Carry a fuel can and ride until you run out. THEN you'll know how much you can trust your fuel gauge.
4. Look at retrofitting a petcock that has a reserve position.
5. 120mpg is believable.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

Ben90
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 22:43 - 14 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mpg sounds about bang on for a 125 mate. Enjoy it!

The fuel gauge on the YBR offers only the most vague indication that there is in fact petrol inside the tank and not marbles or maybe an octopus, that's about as accurate as it gets.

I preferred to zero trip computer on each fill up and let it clock up about 200 miles before thinking about going to a station.

Val
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:54 - 15 Sep 2014    Post subject: Re: YBR 125 fuel capacity? Reply with quote

Mirey wrote:
I'm pretty confused at the moment. Apparently the fuel capacity is 13 litres, but I've let it get pretty low - not quite touching but near enough. I then go and fill it up, but I can only put in about 6.25 litres. Turn it on and it says the tank is full.

Curiously as well, the first quarter seems to drop much quicker than the last 3.

The thing I'm most confused about is that I've seemingly only used 6.25 litres and yet I've just done 170 miles... a supposed 120mpg... that just seems way too high...

120 mpg is what YBR do. The gauge indicates how many fuel is left without the 3l reserve. Means you can run out of fuel then just turn the fuel valve to reserve and you will have 3 litres fuel for it. So it shows how much of 10 litres you have. Hope that explains it. I usually tend to spend about 7-8 litres before the gauge shows I am low on fuel means I have left 2 litres plus 3 litres reserve which is a lot for YBR Smile

Just enjoy it and use the trip reset if you want to measure your consumption.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MC900
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 04:23 - 15 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a YBR 125 as well and either my fuel gauge is lying or im using half a tank of fuel each 70 miles, ill find out which eventually. I was near empty after doing about 130ish miles but could only get 6-7 litres in to fill the tank so it must be that the gauge is way off.

Last edited by MC900 on 07:10 - 15 Sep 2014; edited 1 time in total

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:37 - 15 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your fuel tank is something you learn over time. I used to do about 210 miles on my YBR and fill up but I knew I had enough left at that to get me home and to a petrol station if I needed to.

The fuel gauge usually starts full and stays full until about 80-90 miles then starts dropping. The most important thing to do is zero your trip counter EVERY time you fill up. Trust that, NOT your gauge. You'll get to know when to fill up.

BigShow
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 13:30 - 15 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

My YBR does the same thing. If i fill it up when it says it's empty i can only get in 6 or 7 litres max.

I've learnt to ignore it. It's been showing dead empty for a week or so now and i've been using it everyday to commute 20miles.

Just rock the bike, if you can hear sloshing sounds coming from the tank your fine.

Or you can take the cap of and just look in. Just make sure you use a match or lighter for decent illumination. Twisted Evil
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Wednesday Biker
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 19:47 - 15 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to do about 220 miles before I filled up.
Might have had some more miles left in it but I decided that was when I should put some more in.

Mirey
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 20:22 - 15 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, fair enough.

Awesome, I thought maybe the odometer was lieing to me.

Wednesday Biker
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 21:04 - 15 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it a new bike?
They are great on juice but when I was running mine in it was absolutely ridiculous how little it used.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:12 - 15 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, they're all like that. Mine has an annoying habit of doing 100 miles with it barely moving and then dropping all the way to empty 40 miles after that.

Mirey
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 22:11 - 15 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wednesday Biker wrote:
Is it a new bike?
They are great on juice but when I was running mine in it was absolutely ridiculous how little it used.

I just bought it second hand. 2009 but only had 3400 miles or so. I guess it's about 3900 going no where in particular. Only had it since Thursday. Learning to ride and probably pissing off a few motorists as I do it Neutral

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:59 - 16 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

120 mpg, the joys of small cc bikes. Thumbs Up

You do wonder if car drivers knew how little it cost to run a small bike whether we would get a few more commuting on them (in the summer obviously).

Northern Monkey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:55 - 17 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm averaging 134mpg on my msx125. 120mpg sounds about right to me.

Ben90
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 19:05 - 17 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
120 mpg, the joys of small cc bikes. Thumbs Up

You do wonder if car drivers knew how little it cost to run a small bike whether we would get a few more commuting on them (in the summer obviously).

Dislike. That leaves fewer cars on my commute for me to filter past like this:

https://media0.giphy.com/media/jrCmtLacLvZHG/200_s.gif

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:54 - 17 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 07 YBR is around 120mpg, so your spot on mate. Smile
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 9 years, 216 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1