|
|
| Author |
Message |
| Commuter_Tim |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Commuter_Tim World Chat Champion

Joined: 09 May 2013 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Copycat73 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Copycat73 World Chat Champion

Joined: 11 Jan 2013 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Commuter_Tim |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Commuter_Tim World Chat Champion

Joined: 09 May 2013 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| talkToTheHat |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 talkToTheHat World Chat Champion

Joined: 21 Feb 2012 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Rogerborg |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Rogerborg nimbA

Joined: 26 Oct 2010 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Matt B |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Matt B World Chat Champion

Joined: 01 May 2012 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| stinkwheel |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 stinkwheel Bovine Proctologist

Joined: 12 Jul 2004 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Rogerborg |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Rogerborg nimbA

Joined: 26 Oct 2010 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Matt B |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Matt B World Chat Champion

Joined: 01 May 2012 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Baffler186 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Baffler186 World Chat Champion

Joined: 31 May 2013 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Rogerborg |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Rogerborg nimbA

Joined: 26 Oct 2010 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| b422063 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 b422063 Crazy Courier

Joined: 14 Oct 2014 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| mentalboy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 mentalboy World Chat Champion

Joined: 05 May 2012 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Commuter_Tim |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Commuter_Tim World Chat Champion

Joined: 09 May 2013 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 20:07 - 14 Jan 2015 Post subject: |
 |
|
| Rogerborg wrote: | | Matt B wrote: | " It comes to you pre-conditioned and fully charged for optimum performance and ready to install out of the box. "
They claim fully charged, from which most people would infer 100%. |
I would indeed have inferred that if OP had told us the actual sales blurb. That'll learn me to be so trusting.  |
OP is a moron who may have charged his battery wrong, why on earth did you trust him?
| mentalboy wrote: | | stinkwheel wrote: | Is an oximiser suitable for use on a AGM battery?
Genuine question because I don't know. |
I did wonder as well, I know my old Oximiser wasn't suitable, maybe newer models are? Maximiser is the Oxford model I've used for my AGM battery.
| Commuter_Tim wrote: |
I chucked mine on the Oxford Oximiser anyway, it was showing about 80% life and started charging it up.
I tested the Voltage and its about 12.82V (tested after 10 mins charging, now showing about 90% charge)
Is this a concern?
|
What was the initial voltage of your battery? Motobatt specs give 12.78V as 97% of full charge.
AGM batteries must be charged with constant voltage not taper and if you overcharge it you will kill it. |
I don't understand what you mean by "taper" charging? Is that if you use a generic charger not designed for bikes that doesn't know when to stop?
I neglected to check the voltage before chucking it on charge for 10 mins, me and electricity do not mix well.
I chucked it in the bike regardless last night, it either starts as badly as before, or worse.
| Quote: | Suitable for all 12V battery types up to 30Ah including Lithium, Gel, MF and conventional lead and refillable batteries |
That's from the OXford website on the Oximiser 900, it says suitable for all 12v battery types, but doesnt list AGM, that does not instill confidence.
Can anybody suggest a new charger for the new battery that I likely need to buy yet again, that is not an Oxford piece of shit?
Lesson learned.
Cheers again for all the help, even if I did ask the question a bit late.
TL:DR if I have "killed" the battery will it just present with a lower voltage now?
I assume since the bike does start and all electrics work that I at least probably haven't harmed that? ____________________ The above post is most likely nonsensical.
I ride a Bandit 600... badly.
Last edited by Commuter_Tim on 21:22 - 14 Jan 2015; edited 2 times in total |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| stinkwheel |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 stinkwheel Bovine Proctologist

Joined: 12 Jul 2004 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 21:06 - 14 Jan 2015 Post subject: |
 |
|
If it's claiming to be suitable for lithium batteries, I suspect it's going to be a pretty smart charger. Lithium cells are notoriously fussy and dangerous with their charging requirements. ____________________ “Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| mentalboy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 mentalboy World Chat Champion

Joined: 05 May 2012 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 23:25 - 14 Jan 2015 Post subject: |
 |
|
| Commuter_Tim wrote: |
I don't understand what you mean by "taper" charging? Is that if you use a generic charger not designed for bikes that doesn't know when to stop?
I neglected to check the voltage before chucking it on charge for 10 mins, me and electricity do not mix well.
I chucked it in the bike regardless last night, it either starts as badly as before, or worse.
| Quote: | Suitable for all 12V battery types up to 30Ah including Lithium, Gel, MF and conventional lead and refillable batteries |
That's from the OXford website on the Oximiser 900, it says suitable for all 12v battery types, but doesnt list AGM, that does not instill confidence.
Can anybody suggest a new charger for the new battery that I likely need to buy yet again, that is not an Oxford piece of shit?
Lesson learned.
Cheers again for all the help, even if I did ask the question a bit late.
TL:DR if I have "killed" the battery will it just present with a lower voltage now?
I assume since the bike does start and all electrics work that I at least probably haven't harmed that? |
That charger should be fine - Gel and AGM batteries both requires a constant voltage to charge up.
Taper voltage is what an 'intelligent' charger uses to charge a traditional style lead acid battery. ie the longer it's on charge the more the supplied voltage tapers off (If I've understood it correctly!)
Two things I'll say about AGM batteries: They take forever to charge up and they don't hold a starting charge much beyond a month of disuse (I was told that an AGM battery in cool storage condition should hold a charge for 3+ months).
And thirdly - when flat you can't jump start it off a car battery if you connect the jump leads to both terminals (never tried it by using neg lead connected to an earth point instead), absolutely no idea why - unless it's something to do with an abysmally low Ah intake? ____________________ Make mine a Corona. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Commuter_Tim |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Commuter_Tim World Chat Champion

Joined: 09 May 2013 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 11 years, 261 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|