Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


1992 Bandit GSF 400 won't fire

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Indianapolis
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 05 Jan 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:56 - 06 Jan 2015    Post subject: 1992 Bandit GSF 400 won't fire Reply with quote

Hello folks!

I also posted this on the Bandit Alley discussion forum today, no you aren't seeing double Very Happy

I'm new here, I've been reading lots of posts on the GSF400. Great info! I am by no stretch of the imagination a mechanic. I'm more suited with welding and fabrication.
I just purchased a 1992 Bandit 400. The bike has 6,200 miles on it and looks nearly new. VERY little wear. Bad news is that it won't run.
Here is the story from the second owner: Bike purchased from original owner with 4,000 miles in 2011. Ridden for 2,000 miles in summer of 2011 until on day while riding in a sudden rain the bike ran rough and stalled out. Carbs were gone through and cleaned at this point and bike still refused to run so it was put in the corner of a garage and left until now.
Fast forward 4 years...I come along and buy the bike for not much money. I have the bike at a mechanic shop that specializes in Suzuki and is really experienced with fuel system, carbs and such.
He put a new battery in, cleaned the carbs entirely (pointed out that they had been drilled, he said the screws were backed out quite a bit, four turns I think) new spark plugs. He has an IV bag hooked up with fuel and the engine cranks strong but won't fire. He will clean the tank when he gets the bike to run and will change oil and oil filter. With starting fluid (ether) still nothing. He says the plugs spark against the block but not as bright blue as he thinks they should. He is stumped and asked that I look up some info on the web.
Using the search function here I came across a few posts that make me think that it may be the CDI. I can get capacitors and have an IT guy at work that can easily swap them out, he is great with circuit boards and such . I'll wait to do this until I for sure know it is the problem.
I keep thinking back on what the guy said about it stalling out in the rain, anyways, can anyone help troubleshoot this?

Thanks in advance, I know a heck of a first post Embarassed
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

bradh511
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 01 May 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:49 - 06 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suspect rain got into somewhere and caused said problem.. has he tried new plugs tested the coils.. and test the pickups ( magneto ) then it most likely to be cdi check and the kill switch

Also has anyone done a compression check ?

Also are the plugs getting wet when being cranked ?

All the best

Brad
____________________
Theory 11-10-12 lets hope i get mod 1 and 2 done by the 18th of jan 2013 Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

doggone
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:33 - 06 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems a bit odd a Suzuki mechanic asked you to look for advice by searching online forums.

If not fuel it will usually be electrical, usually if there is a spark it would at least attempt to fire.
If the mileage and history is genuine it's probably unlikely the timing has been interfered with but that's something else which could be mucked up by earlier attempts to fix it.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

bypass2
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 12 Sep 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:43 - 06 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe a faulty side stand switch if it as one fitted. Faulty kill switch spray some WD 40 in it.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Fisty
Super Spammer



Joined: 11 Apr 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:45 - 06 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Classic bandit 400 CDI symptoms I am afraid.
____________________
Quietly and consistently taking the piss.
TL1000R | Hayabusa | ZXR400 | TL1000S | Bandit 400 V
Fatter and faster than Fret
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Indianapolis
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 05 Jan 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:58 - 07 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

bradh511 wrote:
I would suspect rain got into somewhere and caused said problem.. has he tried new plugs tested the coils.. and test the pickups ( magneto ) then it most likely to be cdi check and the kill switch

Also has anyone done a compression check ?

Also are the plugs getting wet when being cranked ?

All the best

Brad


New plugs and they are getting wet. Mechanic says compression is good.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Indianapolis
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 05 Jan 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:33 - 07 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
doggone wrote:
It seems a bit odd a Suzuki mechanic asked you to look for advice by searching online forums.

I went to a bike shop in town and my bike was too old for them to work on, two shops said this and one never returned my call. So I was referred from the shop to a guy much respected for carb work tuning etc., He races a Suzuki drag bike. He has 20 plus years experience. I know I made it sound as if he worked for a Suzuki shop, he does not and he said up front that electrical was not his specialty.

Quote:
If not fuel it will usually be electrical, usually if there is a spark it would at least attempt to firing and running.


I will see for myself tomorrow. He really thinks the spark isn't hot?strong enough. I double checked the new plugs and battery are correct. Going to pull the CDI and give to a guy to replace the 4 main capacitors (the only four I could find at the store).

If the mileage and history is genuine it's probably unlikely the timing has been interfered with but that's something else which could be mucked up by earlier attempts to fix it.
Quote:
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Indianapolis
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 05 Jan 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:39 - 07 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

bypass2 wrote:
Maybe a faulty side stand switch if it as one fitted. Faulty kill switch spray some WD 40 in it.


If it sparks wouldn't that mean these switches are OK? I'll check them though, thanks!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Indianapolis
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 05 Jan 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:42 - 07 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fisty wrote:
Classic bandit 400 CDI symptoms I am afraid.


Mechanic said straight away he feared it was the igniter aka CDI box. I'll open it tomorrow.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Indianapolis
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 05 Jan 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:21 - 07 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fisty wrote:
Classic bandit 400 CDI symptoms I am afraid.


You know which transistors I can use for replacements? The ones I found locally ( at RadioShack dot com) are TIP120. The ones I hear work as replacements are 2SD1071. I also read that TIP150 work as drop in replacements as well.

I went to NTE Parts Direct and ordered the TIP150 transistors and all three of the different capacitors. All are heat rated. Got a few spares too.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Indianapolis
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 05 Jan 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 03:31 - 17 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE!:

Here is the deal. I got all the 5 big capacitors and the two transistors for the CDI and gave it to the IT guy at work. After a week he brought it in today and and I went straight to the mechanics after work tonight and plugged it in. wewewewwewehVRRRRROOOOOOMMMM! Fired up in about 5 seconds. Last time it ran was 2011. It blew out some smoke for a minute but settled down. Purred nicely, engine ran smooth.


Now for the bad. Mechanic had a spray bottle of water and 3 of the 4 pipes were crazy hot the one on the right was hot, but obviously not as hot as the others. Maybe the carb has a clogged jet, valve stuck? Where do I go from here?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 259 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.13 Sec - Server Load: 0.8 - MySQL Queries: 16 - Page Size: 73.14 Kb