|
|
| Author |
Message |
| Lord Percy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Lord Percy World Chat Champion

Joined: 03 Aug 2012 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 07:33 - 03 Feb 2015 Post subject: Rent in London (student) or commute daily from Reading? |
 |
|
The time has come for me to consider how to sort my living arrangements out when I get back from China and restart my second year at university.
Last year I was on campus flats. The year before that, while self-studying A-levels to get into uni, I lived at my gran's. I'm wondering if it might be worth using my student accommodation/maintenance loan/grant to buy a bike and go back to my gran's (giving her a fair rent, but it would certainly be far cheaper than a private London landlord), and commute to uni each day.
I figured I'd then have the bonus of a motorbike, and would essentially still be able to feel like I'm free and living in the city as I'd be there daily anyway, and have friends there who I could stay with if I want to get drunk or whatever.
I just don't know if the commute every day, from a village near junction 12 of the M4 (pretty much Reading), to Mile End, might start to grind me down, or even might be more expensive than I'm expecting, compared with just living nearby and walking/cycling to uni each day.
My conclusion so far:
Pros:
- Living far cheaper. When I stayed at my gran's before, she asked for almost nothing, but I don't think I'd allow it this time around. Either way, yes it would be a huge chunk of a saving compared to living elsewhere.
- Food often made for me.
- Gran not lonely.
- Will own a motorbike, therefore far more freedom outside of the daily student stuff.
- Also I think I might get far more studying done as I'll often be on campus and won't quite so readily think, "Oh I'll just quickly go home now and do nothing..."
- Will own a motorbike
- Will own a motorbike
- Will own a motorbike
Cons:
- 1 hour-ish journey into and out of uni every day.
- I have literally one mate in Reading, so any social life will mostly be far away in London where uni and other mates are.
- 27 year old guy living at his gran's house...
I have a lot more 'pro' points at the moment as the idea has just come into my head so it seems like a good thing at the moment.
Any other thoughts/experience/advice? Cheers  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| bamt |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 bamt World Chat Champion

Joined: 15 Dec 2013 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 08:09 - 03 Feb 2015 Post subject: |
 |
|
The big thing you'll miss out on is social life and independence - but at 27 and someone who has spent time living out of the UK the latter is probably something you're used to anyway. There definitely won't be the same level of interaction with other students though (just because you'll miss out things like the mid-evening call to go out because people are bored), which may or may not be something you care about.
It could be good for your gran, and frankly that might swing it for me, depending upon your relationship with her and how close other family are.
An hour each way to Mile End is possibly a little bit light on time for rush hour. You'll also be adding 4-500 miles a week to the bike, which adds lots of cost in routine maintenance - have you factored in tyres, oil, brakes, decent all weather clothing on top of £150+ a month in fuel (depending upon the bike)? You'll be adding maybe 15,000 miles a year to the bike - that means lots of maintenance, and vastly reduced resale value if you don't just kill it. You'll also want to factor in a bike that is comfortable and usable for those distances; a big shaft driven tourer will eat the miles but not be as easy to nip around the traffic once in town. A smaller bike won't cope with the miles as easily.
For what it's worth, I'm doing a commute from near Basingstoke to Greenford - with social riding I adding 25K miles last year to my bike. The commute can be a drag sometimes (especially with the roadworks going on at the moment), but at least in your case there is a definite end in sight of a couple of years to the end of the course. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| daemonoid |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 daemonoid World Chat Champion

Joined: 27 Jun 2008 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 08:11 - 03 Feb 2015 Post subject: |
 |
|
Reading to mile end in 1hr? I think you're being very optimistic. Just a quick look and the reading to paddington tickets are nearly £13, add the in London travel and I'd be very surprised if you couldn't find a room somewhere near uni for the same or similar price.
The other thing is... Uni is a place to have fun... The idea of going 'home' every day would spoil that - it's the only chance you'll have to live alone without responsibility for pretty much the rest of your life.
Be a proper student - get a room, buy beer with your loan and stop trying to be sensible. You'll appreciate it in the long run.
Or, if cost really is an issue - go to a european uni (they teach in English). No fees and you should still get access to study loans for accommodation. Cheaper, an even bigger experience, chance to get that bike... Nothing to lose. ____________________ current: ducati monster 750
past: hyosung gt250r, bajaj pulsar 180, hyosung gt 125 comet
@thomasgarrard | www.straitjkt.com | www.racingseven.com |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Lord Percy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Lord Percy World Chat Champion

Joined: 03 Aug 2012 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Rogerborg |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Rogerborg nimbA

Joined: 26 Oct 2010 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 10:13 - 03 Feb 2015 Post subject: |
 |
|
Can't really see why you'd choose to pay £9K a year in fees to study in an expensive city when you're already out of the country and have other options available. Seems a bit parochial. ____________________ Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Lord Percy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Lord Percy World Chat Champion

Joined: 03 Aug 2012 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 10:33 - 03 Feb 2015 Post subject: |
 |
|
| Rogerborg wrote: | Can't really see why you'd choose to pay £9K a year in fees to study in an expensive city when you're already out of the country and have other options available. Seems a bit parochial. |
Ideally I'd actually continue studying in China - total expenses would come to less than £5000 per year, including course fees, living, food, everything. But I don't think I can get UK government funding for that.
Side note: Dutch students get 1000 Euros a month from their government, as long as they're studying and are under 30 years old. In any country. Or so says the Dutch guy in my class. If only I were Dutch!
If I were to change unis, I'd actually move to one nearer home. Probably Leeds uni (anyone remember the Leeds vs London unis thread I made a couple of years ago? ). I've been away from my home area for so long now, always on the move from place to place, it would be good to get settled in a familiar environment again, in God's County of course .
Realistically, however, I'll probably be going back to my current uni as that's where I am and that's that. I just wonder if it'll be better to live in the expensive city or save money and live outside it.
One more deciding factor: London students get about 4 grand more loans/grants than other UK students. Living cheapy-cheapy at my gran's would mean I get to use that extra money in much better ways. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| daemonoid |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 daemonoid World Chat Champion

Joined: 27 Jun 2008 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Nash GT |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Nash GT World Chat Champion

Joined: 12 Sep 2014 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 11:36 - 03 Feb 2015 Post subject: |
 |
|
Live with gran, get a bike, socialise with Berkshire, Hampshire and Surrey's BCFers  ____________________ Suzuki GSF600N |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Lord Percy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Lord Percy World Chat Champion

Joined: 03 Aug 2012 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 13:03 - 03 Feb 2015 Post subject: |
 |
|
I think, since myself and most/all of mates didn't go straight to uni and started working instead, I've always had the mindset of being a weekend person. Even for my first year, where I did live in the city and did live with other people, we all only really did studenty waster things on Friday and Saturday nights. So this 'student life' pigeon-hole has never really been something I ended up slotting into. Doesn't bother me really.
Cheers for that link, quite interesting . It actually only mentions Masters programmes, but is useful all the same as I'm fairly sure I don't want to stick around at my current uni for a Masters. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| barrkel |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 barrkel World Chat Champion
Joined: 30 Jul 2012 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 14:43 - 03 Feb 2015 Post subject: |
 |
|
| Lord Percy wrote: | Even for my first year, where I did live in the city and did live with other people, we all only really did studenty waster things on Friday and Saturday nights. |
When I was in college, Thursday was the main night for going out doing "studenty waster things". Friday and Saturday nights were when people would go home and do "studenty waster things" with their friends from home, who may or may not have been students (from other institutions) as well.
IMO you should live in London. But, your life, your choices. ____________________ Bikes: S1000R, SH350; Exes: Vity 125, PS125, YBR125, ER6f, VFR800, Brutale 920, CB600F, SH300x4
Best road ever ridden: www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2MhNxUEYtQ |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Eddie Hitler |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Eddie Hitler World Chat Champion

Joined: 06 Nov 2007 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Robster |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Robster World Chat Champion

Joined: 16 Dec 2013 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| 1198 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 1198 World Chat Champion
Joined: 24 Jan 2013 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Lord Percy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Lord Percy World Chat Champion

Joined: 03 Aug 2012 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| el_oso |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 el_oso World Chat Champion

Joined: 17 May 2008 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Lord Percy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Lord Percy World Chat Champion

Joined: 03 Aug 2012 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| bikertomm |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 bikertomm World Chat Champion

Joined: 03 Jul 2010 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 18:18 - 03 Feb 2015 Post subject: |
 |
|
Hmmm tricky one.
I'd probably try out living with the gran.
Could you do a test ride in one morning to get an idea of costs/time?
It will be a mega PITA when raining, cold etc. But you know all this anyway.
I'd probably go with living in Reading, but then again I'm not teh best socially. At my uni there's probably about 6 people I get on with really well, there's a lot of dickheads that aren't interested in work just getting pissed.
I worked in London for 2 years recently and had a 60 mile journey each way, did it in the car, M25. It was a slog. I hated sitting there when all you want to do is get home, but at the end of the day it's do-able and there are ways to get around it, leaving late etc.
If your saving a substantial amount of money, give it a go I reckon.  ____________________ 07' Honda Hornet now full powaah! My guide on performing an oil change! |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| 1198 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 1198 World Chat Champion
Joined: 24 Jan 2013 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| G |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 G The Voice of Reason
Joined: 02 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| SofaBear |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 SofaBear Scooby Slapper

Joined: 02 Oct 2013 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| J.M. |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 J.M. World Chat Champion

Joined: 27 Mar 2011 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Lord Percy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Lord Percy World Chat Champion

Joined: 03 Aug 2012 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Irezumi aka Reuben |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Irezumi aka Reuben Carrot Top
Joined: 28 Sep 2004 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Lord Percy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Lord Percy World Chat Champion

Joined: 03 Aug 2012 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Rogerborg |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Rogerborg nimbA

Joined: 26 Oct 2010 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 15:11 - 04 Feb 2015 Post subject: Re: Rent in London (student) or commute daily from Reading? |
 |
|
You're about to find out that it's mostly maths anyway. You could probably switch to that and it'll do as well or better when you end up driving a spreadsheet at Billem and Gougem Accountants. ____________________ Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 11 years, 241 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|