Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Mid powered sports tourer types

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Twofish
Nova Slayer



Joined: 17 Feb 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:42 - 18 Feb 2015    Post subject: Mid powered sports tourer types Reply with quote

I'm looking for bike number 2. Or the possibilities... (apologies for the long post and for a slightly different way of phrasing the same old question).

Some time ago I did my DAS and within a week had phoned a garage and ordered a brand new CBR600F 2011-13 as my first bike. Crazy? Probably, but I did my research and I haven't regretted it (although it was labelled 'sports tourer' and it bloody isn't!).

Having lived with it and done everything short of taken it abroad yet (including laps of Silverstone on the Day of Champions ride-in, enough to put a massive grin on my face) I know what I like about it and what I don't - and wondered if there is anything more suitable.

Basically I love its weight (190kg) and its seat height (lowered to 77.5cm), its 100bhp, it's so easy to ride and it has taught me well.

What I don't like is that I can't get out of Wales on a single tank of fuel, I get a maximum of 120 miles. I don't like that the suspension had to be lowered, not the seat, which I think has made it a firmer ride.

I also don't like the seat - it's damn uncomfortable for more than an hour. This could be combined with the riding position, maybe more forward than I'd like (I'm 5'5", so short arms!).

And it has no luggage attachments, although metal tank means I can chuck a tank bag on it with a tablet and a pair of shoes for meetings. Touring involves lots of ROK straps all tied to one point by the pillion foot peg. And soft luggage.

I'm looking for an alternative, probably 600 - 1000 cc and I'm going to pull the usual 'but I'm only 5'5" and weigh less than 9 stone' out of the bag.

Weight *is* important to me, not just a low centre of gravity, because I'm a weak girl and I have to drag it out of the garage, or in/out of a parking space and I can only paddle on a Tuesday, downhill, when the wind is in the right direction.

Seat height/width is also important - yes I can ride taller bikes, I did my DAS on unlowered bikes but I just prefer to be able to get my feet down on my own and not be constantly looking for kerbs or avoiding potholes.

So with all your wealth and experience (and opinions!) can you give me pointers of bikes to look at? Because sometimes it's the unexpected - the most comfortable bike I've sat on recently was a BMW K1300S Shocked because it was pretty narrow (out of the question!! Too bloody heavy, and crap MPG, and too expensive etc) . I'm off to Swansea this weekend to have a look around.

Usually the guys in the shop look at me as if I've got three heads, so it's difficult to ask for advice when they're busy at the weekend. One guy told me 'a VFR isn't for you, too heavy, too big, and the engine has a nasty kick' and went off to talk to some blokes. Moron. Also test riding is difficult because they never have a low option in the shop, so riding all the possibilities isn't really an option.

Sums it up:
On the lighter side, low centre of gravity.
Lowerable just via the seat (options, cut out, whatever) rather than suspension.
Tank range nearer 200 miles than 120
Comfy for long distance.
Still capable of nipping round town.
Luggage options/attachments.
Good MPG.
No slouch.
Year or two old max.

Alternatively I could start meddling with the currently still pristine CBR - cut the seat out and add gel, bar risers, fit a luggage rack, but that'll lower its value, destroy its prettiness and still won't get me out of Wales on one tank of fuel! It's a great bike though Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe



Joined: 01 Sep 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:44 - 18 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

GSXR1000 or maybe an R1. Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Twofish
Nova Slayer



Joined: 17 Feb 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:51 - 18 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

HA! Can see me riding to Norway on that. My shoulders would seize up by Bristol Wink !

I think I want the bike equivalent of my car if there's such a thing, it's a proper sports tourer - Audi S4 estate. But with better MPG and not so heavy!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

pdg
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Sep 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:01 - 18 Feb 2015    Post subject: Re: Mid powered sports tourer types Reply with quote

I was thinking "there are many suitable options", then I got to:

Twofish wrote:

Year or two old max.


And every single one I thought of is out of the reckoning.......

Why the stipulation on age out of interest?
____________________
Any and all advice given should not be followed - if you have to ask it means you don't know so get a man in to do it for you.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Matt B
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 May 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:02 - 18 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you are coming at this the wrong way.

A lot of true sports tourers are big and heavy. My Pan weighs about 300kg, but it has a huge 28l tank, full luggage and munches the miles up happily. Too big for you.

Your bike fits you so why not just kit it out properly for touring? Givi do lots of luggage options for it - panniers, top box etc. And worried about spoiling the looks, well whatever you put on can be removed again and put back to standard.

https://www.motorcycleplanet.co.uk/images_products/givi/givi_PLX1102.jpg

As far as tank size goes you just need to stop and fuel up more often. Lots of people tour on sports bikes with small tanks and manage.
____________________
stinkwheel: He had an animated .gif of a cat performing fellatio. It's not socially acceptable. It can have real life adverse effects on other people.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Irezumi aka Reuben
Carrot Top



Joined: 28 Sep 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:09 - 18 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new VFR800 has an adjustable seat height and a large fuel tank so I'd suggest finding a dealer who isnt an idiot and looking in to them a bit more seriously.

If theyre still the same as the older versions (and it says it is on paper) regarding their weight then it is a bit lardy, and you will notice this in the handling coming from your CBR.

Being a relative short-arse for a guy I've always found its just about balance and how you manage it rather than strength anyway so dont let the weight put you off too much, at least for a test ride.
____________________
Pictorgraphicalfantastical
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Twofish
Nova Slayer



Joined: 17 Feb 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:16 - 18 Feb 2015    Post subject: Re: Mid powered sports tourer types Reply with quote

pdg wrote:
I was thinking "there are many suitable options", then I got to:

Twofish wrote:

Year or two old max.


And every single one I thought of is out of the reckoning.......

Why the stipulation on age out of interest?


Um...good point. Very good point...not sure, probably from the maintenance point of view and risk of breakdown. I'm no mechanic, but I guess the AA is always there! Also I always intend to keep vehicles for ages if they're right (don't always manage it). ** edit - also I think I was trying to say I'd be OK about spending up to about £9k (part ex-ing the CBR).

Thanks Matt B - also a good point. The regular stopping is I guess only part of it, but the only un-fixable part I can see. I'm considering everything!


Last edited by Twofish on 12:20 - 18 Feb 2015; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Seb
World Chat Champion



Joined: 19 Jul 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:17 - 18 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another vote for 'you're looking at the wrong bikes'

I instantly go towards the VFR, Futura and Sprint ST when I think of a proper sports tourer with decent luggage options. Unfortunately the VFR is plain heavy, the Futura is light and narrow but tall and the Sprint is both weighty and top heavy.

Completely left of field option, have a look at an XJR1300, whilst it's heavy it carries it's weight lower than the typical sporty sports tourer off today. It depends on the type of mileage you'll be doing though, I'd take the XJR for slower paced roads and rides across the moors whereas a Sprint or the like would be the better choice on the motorway.
____________________
2010 Triumph 1050 Sprint ST
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Twofish
Nova Slayer



Joined: 17 Feb 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:44 - 18 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seb wrote:

Completely left of field option, have a look at an XJR1300, whilst it's heavy it carries it's weight lower than the typical sporty sports tourer off today. It depends on the type of mileage you'll be doing though, I'd take the XJR for slower paced roads and rides across the moors whereas a Sprint or the like would be the better choice on the motorway.


Yep, completely out of the box. Cool , I shall keep my eyes open for those.

As for mileage - very mixed. Live rurally, so A roads to get anywhere then motorways to civilisation! Sometimes single track country lanes and cities. Try to travel on A roads rather than boring motorways but sometimes you just have to cover the miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

pdg
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Sep 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:59 - 18 Feb 2015    Post subject: Re: Mid powered sports tourer types Reply with quote

Twofish wrote:
pdg wrote:


Why the stipulation on age out of interest?


Um...good point. Very good point...not sure, probably from the maintenance point of view and risk of breakdown. I'm no mechanic, but I guess the AA is always there!


You might think some bikes are too heavy, but it's about how they carry and balance the weight. Honda ST, BMW K or R series (amongst others) are built to cover huge mileages relatively quickly in comfort. Any 'real' biggish touring bike will have a fair turn of speed to it. The BMWs (and maybe the ST, I'm not sure) have factory low seat options, but there are aftermarket perches aplenty which slot/bolt on.

Tourers generally don't use highly stressed engines so need less frequent maintenance than a 'sports' bike. People tend to assume servicing (especially on the BMW) is expensive, but it doesn't have to be and it's so simple to DIY on these anyway. To look at it from a sexist perspective - if you can plug in a hairdryer without killing yourself you can learn how to service most bikes.

Don't be afraid of going older (unless you really want shiny). Marmalade on here likes Pan-Euros. He seems to be able to wring them up to well over 100,000 miles without too much trouble. My 27 year old K has over 80k on it and I wouldn't think twice about trusting it to get me to the other end of Europe and back again.

For your 9k budget you could get at least 4 vgc bikes, or one extremely good condition bike and £5,000+ of fuel.......
____________________
Any and all advice given should not be followed - if you have to ask it means you don't know so get a man in to do it for you.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

woo
World Chat Champion



Joined: 14 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:59 - 18 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

go gym do weights and bulk up then you can phyisically handle the bike.

you might look like a she he or he she but who cares.............
____________________
Elen sila lummen omentielvo!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!



Joined: 15 Sep 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:09 - 18 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you're looking for perfection which doesn't really exist. CBR600F is about the best you're going to do for your criteria.

Another suggestion would be a Street Triple, but it won't be great for touring as it doesn't have much wind protection.

It sounds like what you want is the holy grail of bikes. Something light, comfortable, fast and good handling with good wind protection. The closest there has been to this is the original CBR600F 1999-2005. The one with the dual seat, not the FS with the stepped seat.

By the way, I'm 5ft 5 and I've owned lots of different types of bike including a 200kg dry Triumph Daytona 955i. Weight isn't an issue, technique is.

Oh, and if you want reliability, buy a low mileage Honda with good service history. Particularly a VFR or CBR. They pretty much never go wrong. A two year old bike is probably no more reliable than a late nineties or early 2000s Honda, as Japanese build quality has dropped significantly since then.
____________________
British beauty: Triumph Street Triple R; Loony stroker: KR1S; Track fun: GSXR750 L1; Commuter Missile: GSX-S1000F; Cheap project: CBR900RR FireBlade
Remember kids, bikes aren't like lego. You can't easily take a part from one bike and then fit it to another.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:29 - 18 Feb 2015    Post subject: Re: Mid powered sports tourer types Reply with quote

How light, how unslouchy?

F700GS is a whisker lighter than your CBR. You'll get close to 200 miles at 65mpg - and may be able to fit the larger tank from the F800GS Adventure. The seat height is quoted at 820mm but it sits and feels lower when you're on it. It's very stable. More torque but a fair bit less power than the CBR. Not a "sports tourer", but I've done 400 miles in a day without discomfort. Top box mount points are built in to the bike, although the high level exhaust is a bit of a dick if you want panniers.

If you want sports tourer, the F800GT has most of the same merits plus belt drive, is faster (not quite up to CBR speeds on the Autobahn), but is a bit heavier. 800mm standard seat, 765mm with the low seat option.

BMW, so don't expect soul. You're coming from a Honda, though.
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Monkeypony
World Chat Champion



Joined: 21 Sep 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:31 - 18 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Busa.

low centre of gravity - Check.
Tank range nearer 200 miles than 120 - Check
Comfy for long distance - Check
Still capable of nipping round town - Check.
Luggage options/attachments - Check
Good MPG - Check (ish).
No slouch - Very Check

Mr. Green

On a more serious note, I'd echo what others have said about fitting kit to your current bike.

It'll carry you, and your stuff, as far as you want to ride it just as well as most other things!

Even if you get something with a bigger tank or longer range, chances are you'll end up riding with some git who has to stop every 100 miles anyway! (trust me on that...)
____________________
Current bike - 2018 H2-SX, 2004 SV1000s, 2016 Aprilia RSV4 RF, 2017 Sherco SERF 300, 2003 Suzuki DRZ400 (stolen - AY53 JUU)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Twofish
Nova Slayer



Joined: 17 Feb 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:50 - 18 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
Sounds like you're looking for perfection which doesn't really exist. CBR600F is about the best you're going to do for your criteria.

Quite possibly - but I don't know that until I've asked people like you with experience of more bikes than me with my CBR and riding school Kawis Smile

Rogerborg wrote:
BMW, so don't expect soul. You're coming from a Honda, though.
Ha! I also drive an Audi...

Appreciate the suggestions - certainly some I hadn't thought of so far and will be looking out for Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie



Joined: 22 Mar 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:16 - 18 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tiger 800. 790mm seat height with the factory low seat, and easily able to get to 760mm with a lowering kit. Weight is a bit more than you're used to but carried very well. 200+mile tank range. Loads of luggage options. 96bhp and more torque than your Honda.
____________________
BCF: Be yourself, just don't be an arse.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Matt B
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 May 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:32 - 18 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkeypony wrote:
Even if you get something with a bigger tank or longer range, chances are you'll end up riding with some git who has to stop every 100 miles anyway! (trust me on that...)


This is so true Thumbs Up
____________________
stinkwheel: He had an animated .gif of a cat performing fellatio. It's not socially acceptable. It can have real life adverse effects on other people.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Twofish
Nova Slayer



Joined: 17 Feb 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:06 - 18 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

McJamweasel wrote:
Tiger 800.


My imagination, or are these supposed to be fairly narrow too?

The BMWs look interesting - 65mpg. For work we get 45p per mile for cars and only 25p per mile for bikes. Currently that makes me better off if I take my 28mpg car rather than my 40mpg bike! Servicing is about the same.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:39 - 18 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twofish wrote:
The BMWs look interesting - 65mpg.

I get 63 on a stop-start commute. 70+ on a steady run. That's with shortened gearing, which may have some small effect.

Tiger is going to be more rawwwr though. It was my first choice, but I couldn't find one in budget locally, so I capitulated to the Hun.

NC700/750 would be the biz for frugality - too slouchy?
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie



Joined: 22 Mar 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:19 - 18 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twofish wrote:
McJamweasel wrote:
Tiger 800.


My imagination, or are these supposed to be fairly narrow too?


They are narrow, yeah. If you can stretch to a new one (£8.5k) then you'll get almost as good fuel economy as the BM with the traction control, abs, cruise control and adjustable rider modes as standard.
____________________
BCF: Be yourself, just don't be an arse.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer



Joined: 24 Feb 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:30 - 18 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

McJamweasel wrote:

They are narrow, yeah. If you can stretch to a new one (£8.5k) then you'll get almost as good fuel economy as the BM with the traction control, abs, cruise control and adjustable rider modes as standard.


They have a cracking reputation. Really popular with everyone I met who has ridden one.
____________________
Victory Cross Country American tractor.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Twofish
Nova Slayer



Joined: 17 Feb 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:26 - 22 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had an interesting day yesterday...unfortunately had to take the dog so in the car with no gear = no test rides.

Narrowed it down to these the most suitable genuine small sporty tourer types for short and feeble female arses:

BMW F800 GT (wide seat, so extra low option required :-/)
Yammy 2013 Fazer 8 - narrow standard seat and light to handle from the ground
VFR 800 (2014, lowest seat setting) - heavier but low centre of gravity

Anyone know of a garage that have all three in stock so I can play?!

Couldn't find a Tiger 800 ABS with the fabled 81cm seat. Going past a Triumph dealer later this week though.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Oct 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:00 - 22 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

VFR is heavy, but only when you're manhandling it around backwards and such. On the road it swings comfortably and if you know her well enough she'll even dance a bit Wink
____________________
Current bikes: '08 VFR 800 VTEC(yo) , '07 ZZR1400 Winter hack: '95 Aprilia 650 Pegaso Currently lusting after: RC30
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
johnakay This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

rideslikean00...
Nearly there...



Joined: 26 May 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:37 - 22 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twofish wrote:
Yammy 2013 Fazer 8 - narrow standard seat and light to handle from the ground


If you like the Fazer 8 might the slightly older FZ6 be worth a look too?

Lighter bike especially at low speeds, shit ton of aftermarket parts available so you can kit it out for touring. Out of the dozen or so 600cc bikes I've ridden this one is so much easier to park, back up and do slow control with. As mentioned in some other thread the MPG is good too, Esso SU fuel I've gotten 171 miles doing mostly motorway stuff before the reserve warning started. S2 model has around 98BHP so plenty of power on tap for most things. I'm 5 foot 8, 12 stone and find it very easy to handle.
____________________
.
Previous/Current Bikes
2013 Yamaha YBR-125ED -> 1997 Yamaha YZF-1000R Thunderace -> 2009 Yamaha XJ-6 Diversion -> 2007 Yamaha FZ6 Fazer S2
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 228 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.14 Sec - Server Load: 0.79 - MySQL Queries: 16 - Page Size: 148.06 Kb